State Chapters > Florida

Florida now poised to become the first state in the nation to ban lab-grown meat

(1/6) > >>

libertybele:
Florida now poised to become the first state in the nation to ban lab-grown meat

The GOP-controlled House of Representatives on Wednesday approved legislation that would prohibit the manufacturing for sale and distribution of lab-grown or “cultivated meat” in the Sunshine State.

Violators would be subject to a misdemeanor of the second degree.

The bill now goes to Gov. Ron DeSantis for his consideration — and he earlier indicated his support, saying, “We’re not going to do that fake meat.”

Advocates for cultivated meat say that the product could provide a viable alternative to the industrial meat industry, which they maintain is deleterious to the environment.

While several states have passed laws regarding the labeling of cultivated meat in recent years, no state has gone as far as the Florida Legislature in banning it outright — though there are similar proposals currently moving in Arizona, Alabama and New Hampshire. The nation of Italy also banned cultivated meat last November as well.

The agriculture establishment in Florida is in strong support of the legislation. That includes the Florida Farm Bureau, the Florida Poultry Federation, the Florida Cattlemen’s Association, and the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association..............

https://floridaphoenix.com/2024/03/06/florida-now-poised-to-become-the-first-state-in-the-nation-to-ban-lab-grown-meat/

Texas Yellow Rose:
Great news!  :thumbsup:

Hoodat:
If only we could have someone in the White House to run the country as well as Florida is being run.

LMAO:
If people want to eat lab grown meat that’s their business

While I agree with labeling it as such, I don’t agree with a ban on fake meat

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: LMAO on March 07, 2024, 05:36:39 pm ---If people want to eat lab grown meat that’s their business

While I agree with labeling it as such, I don’t agree with a ban on fake meat

--- End quote ---
Agriculture is big, here, including ranching. I would be happy if they saved the fake food until the Captain can call for "Early Grey, hot" from a replicator somewhere in deep space.

Next question: Is lab created 'meat' Kosher?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version