General Category > TBR Kitchen

Dates printed on your food aren’t about expiration: What they really mean

(1/4) > >>

mystery-ak:
 Dates printed on your food aren’t about expiration: What they really mean
by Addy Bink - 03/03/24 11:08 AM ET

NEXSTAR) — We’ve all been there: you reach for a bag of chips in the pantry only to realize it’s past the date printed on the package. Or maybe you’ve found a shelf of discounted food at the grocery store that’s nearing its printed date.

Once that date has passed, does that mean the food has expired and you shouldn’t eat it?

The answer is a bit complicated.

What does the date on my food package mean?

It all comes down to what that date means. Found on the lid, label or somewhere else on the package, that printed date will, in most cases, be paired with the text “Best If Used By” or “Best By.”

That date does not signify when the product has expired, the Food and Drug Administration explains. The FDA only requires a “use by” date on infant formula — this is to ensure “the formula contains not less than the quantity of each nutrient as described on the label,” the U.S. Department of Agriculture explains.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/4504902-dates-printed-on-your-food-arent-about-expiration-what-they-really-mean/

Smokin Joe:
Well, okay, that might work with some things...but not so much with salad greens...

libertybele:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 04, 2024, 01:44:26 am ---Well, okay, that might work with some things...but not so much with salad greens...

--- End quote ---

Especially salad greens.  Sometimes even though they should last till the expiration date, they've already started to get old.

roamer_1:
Sniff it. If that's ok, lick it.... If it's questionable, feed some to the dog first. If he eats it, it's probably alright.

Seriously... Do people really pay mind to those dates? I don't think I have ever looked at em.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on March 04, 2024, 03:27:30 am ---Sniff it. If that's ok, lick it.... If it's questionable, feed some to the dog first. If he eats it, it's probably alright.

Seriously... Do people really pay mind to those dates? I don't think I have ever looked at em.

--- End quote ---
I found a case of tunafish in the pantry, 5 years past date. I ate it (that took about a year). Obviously, I died.

(NOT!)

But salad greens are lucky to make the date on the bag before they become 'browns', and nothing eating its way out of the can should be attempted.  Milk doesn't last long when the clabbering date comes up, either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version