Author Topic: ‘Regulation Through Litigation’: Under Biden’s Lawfaring Eco-Politics, ‘Sue And Settle’ Is Back  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

WRITTEN BY JAMES VARNEY ON FEB 26, 2024. POSTED IN NEWS

‘Regulation Through Litigation’: Under Biden’s Lawfaring Eco-Politics, ‘Sue And Settle’ Is Back

When the Biden administration announced in 2022 that it would remove some four million acres of federal land in Western states from oil and gas exploration, environmental groups hailed the decision as a milestone in their fight against global warming.

“With the oil and gas industry bent on despoiling America’s public lands and fueling the climate crisis, this is a critical opportunity for the Biden administration to chart a new path toward clean energy and independence from fossil fuels,” said Jeremy Nichols, a director with WildEarth Guardians. [emphasis, links added]

But Nichols could just as easily have slapped himself on the back: The administration’s move was part of a private settlement of a lawsuit filed by WildEarth and others over the objections of energy consortiums, whose efforts to intervene in the matter were dismissed.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/regulation-through-litigation-under-bidens-lawfaring-eco-politics-sue-and-settle-is-back/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson