Author Topic: OPINION: Trump's Win in South Carolina Is a Warning Not a Triumph  (Read 4696 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: OPINION: Trump's Win in South Carolina Is a Warning Not a Triumph
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 06:14:25 am »
Well, I beg to differ, Bush I and Bush II were not conservatives.  Bush I drafted NAFTA which was horrible for this country, and Bush II sold us down the river. 

'Too Big to Fail' ... NOPE. The Booshes are the power behind the NEOCON moderate wing.

Reagan had his own issues with amnesty; I don't view granting amnesty to ILLEGALS as conservative. (Here come the pitchforks and flaming arrows).

No arrows - What you said is true. And Conservatives (including me) at the time were HOPPING mad. But the border wasn't a first tier problem at the time (abortion was), and Conservatives took the hit. IN RETURN, we were PROMISED by BOTH PARTIES that this would be the first, only, and last amnesty... And that the border would be secured.

I would say it was already enough of a monkey knot that Reagan was right to draw a hard line... IF the PROMISE would have been kept.

The argument reached first tier and became a plank in the platform among Conservatives BECAUSE the PROMISE HAS NOT BEEN KEPT.

It is ridiculous that the United States of America continues to allow an invasion of its country and leaves its borders unsecured!

YES. Not Reagan's fault. But certainly the fault of every Republican and Democrat since, who have not kept their word.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2024, 06:20:17 am »
Voting down ballot for conservatives so far continues to be my plan.

Me too, If I can get that far.  :shrug:

I HAVE already got skin in the game. I have thrown money at two candidates so far.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2024, 06:23:38 am »
I will not be voting for Trump this year. May either leave that part blank or do a write in.

I’m not going to criticize anybody who chooses to vote for Donald Trump. Their vote is their business. Just like it is mine.

The Republican party is gonna have to decide what kind of party it wants to be after 2024. The MAGA thing isn’t doing very well. But that should not be a license to go back to the George W. Bush era, either
What I want to know is how Making America Great Again got to be something to be eschewed?

Aside from the media spitting out "MAGA" like a cussword, I smell Globalists' pushback against a nationalist agenda.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 06:28:09 am »
What I want to know is how Making America Great Again got to be something to be eschewed?

Aside from the media spitting out "MAGA" like a cussword, I smell Globalists' pushback against a nationalist agenda.

It is not to be eschewed. It's just been stolen.
'Make America Great Again' Was Reagan's slogan.
I will follow that all day.

I will not follow the piker that stole it. POSER.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2024, 11:33:15 am »
Well, I beg to differ, Bush I and Bush II were not conservatives.  Bush I drafted NAFTA which was horrible for this country, and Bush II sold us down the river.  Reagan had his own issues with amnesty; I don't view granting amnesty to ILLEGALS as conservative. (Here come the pitchforks and flaming arrows).

It is ridiculous that the United States of America continues to allow an invasion of its country and leaves its borders unsecured!

Reagan’s amnesty was probably one of his greatest blunders as president. It was done as part of a deal with the Democrats in Congress for border enforcement.

Well, we got the amnesty, but not the border enforcement
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2024, 11:36:27 am »
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make America a great country. But I suppose everybody has a different definition of what that is. The Democrats won’t consider us great until we’re like a European country with us being  subjects instead of citizens

But I don’t go for Trump’s version. I prefer a country where the size of the federal government is reduced, and more decisions are left in the hands of the states and individuals.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2024, 11:27:08 pm »

... Looks pretty good to me.

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:13 pm »

Sorry Trump doesn't want my vote so why should I vote for him if he doesn't want my vote?
Trump wants your vote.

But he is not going to either parrot or trumpet the Leftist agenda in order to get you to vote for him.

If you want to ignore all the lessons of human History, all common sense, all REALITY, and instead vote for "closeted" Communism--if you're happy with every norm, tradition, and proven idea to be discarded in exchange for every failed, weird, pagan nonsensical whim, then by all means, vote for Bidet and the Demoncrats!

You will get your future Soviet Union paradise handed to you in no time!

The rest of us, like me,will get to suffer, starve, or die horribly as a result. Which is fine. I know Bidet's party hates me--they tell me so every day--and if that's your Party then obviously you won't care what happens to me or anyone else either.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:39:24 pm by scottfreitas »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2024, 11:39:15 pm »
Trump wants your vote.

But he is not going to either parrot or trumpet the Leftist agenda in order to get you to vote for him.

I'm simply waiting for him to start trumpeting the Conservative agenda.  It's been almost nine years, and still nothing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2024, 11:42:11 pm »
I'm simply waiting for him to start trumpeting the Conservative agenda.  It's been almost nine years, and still nothing.
I was a fully grown,working adult when Ronald Reagan was President.

Trump is more conservative than Reagan was on his best day. And he governed like it, too.

An amazing feat given how far left the publik skools have pushed our populace since 1988...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2024, 11:42:32 pm »
Trump wants your vote.

SURE.... His way or the highway... Kiss the ring.

Funny. Because that's all I hear.

If you want to ignore all the lessons of human History, all common sense, all REALITY, and instead vote for "closeted" Communism--if you're happy with every norm, tradition, and proven idea to be discarded in exchange for every failed, weird, pagan nonsensical whim, than by all means, vote for Bidet and the Demoncrats!

Same song, either party.

You will get your future Soviet Union paradise handed to you in no time!

The rest of us, like me,will get to suffer, starve, or die horribly as a result. Which is fine. I know Bidet's party hates me--they tell me so every day--and if that's your Party then obviously you won't care what happens to me or anyone else either.

Typical 'Because Democrats' argument... No matter what the Republicans do, it's alright... Because Democrats.

No sale.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2024, 11:44:47 pm »

Trump is more conservative than Reagan was on his best day. And he governed like it, too.

Not a single chance in hell that's true.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2024, 11:45:44 pm »

Well, he campaigned heavily on building a border wall and in fact that is what landed him in the WH; obviously that didn't happen.

There's something to be said about someone who insults, smears and lies about his conservative opponents; it happened with Cruz and it happened most recently with DeSantis.

He was more conservative than Hillary and certainly he's more conservative than Brandon.  He didn't lock her up and doubtful he'll do anything to hold Brandon & Co. responsible. 

No worries, he may get the nomination, but he'll never see the presidency. Just my prediction.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2024, 11:46:35 pm »

This is Donald Trump we're talking about?  D-O-N-A-L-D Trump?  The guy who added $8 trillion to our national debt in just four years?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2024, 11:47:08 pm »

An amazing feat given how far left the publik skools have pushed our populace since 1988...

How many of Trump's policies actually took hold and what part of calming the riots did he actually impose?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:50:23 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2024, 11:55:39 pm »

Welcome to TBR.  You've had some great early posts.

But to your point around Trump's conservatism:

I too go way back, even a young political junky watching the Nixon v. Humphrey election in '68.

But back to Trump:

1. Do you realize that DJT incrased the federal deficit more severely than any other POTUS in history, even with inflation adjustment.  i have the posts  with the details, if you are interested.
2. Have you heard Trump's campaign promise to build Freedom Cities and start Bonus Babies prgram, which at best guess will be a $15 Trillion price tag to the American taxpayer.

There are others, outside the issue of not being morally fit.  But that is for a different discussion.   Still, the alternative is worse, and I will be holding my nose and voting for him.  But one thing....  I am getting damned tired of holding my nose every 4 years.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2024, 11:56:06 pm »
SURE.... His way or the highway... Kiss the ring.

Funny. Because that's all I hear.

Same song, either party.

Typical 'Because Democrats' argument... No matter what the Republicans do, it's alright... Because Democrats.

No sale.

@scottfreitas you need to come up with more than leftist talking points; most of us have heard them all.

I for one thought Trump made a decent president though his presidency is riddled with failures. He FAILED on building a wall. He FAILED at calming the riots after he promised to do so with Bible in hand at St. John's cathedral.   He FAILED to lock her up.  He FAILED to drain the swamp.

I would be interested to know what you think has changed that we will see an honest election; keep in mind it was Trump that selected Ronna; Mitten's niece.

IF Trump was such a conservative why did he go after Cruz and DeSantis???  Sure go after your opponent, but don't drag them through the mud and try to smear their reputations with lies and false accusations.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2024, 11:58:22 pm »
@scottfreitas you need to come up with more than leftist talking points; most of us have heard them all.

I for one thought Trump made a decent president though his presidency is riddled with failures. He FAILED on building a wall. He FAILED at calming the riots after he promised to do so with Bible in hand at St. John's cathedral.   He FAILED to lock her up.  He FAILED to drain the swamp.

I would be interested to know what you think has changed that we will see an honest election; keep in mind it was Trump that selected Ronna; Mitten's niece.

IF Trump was such a conservative why did he go after Cruz and DeSantis???  Sure go after your opponent, but don't drag them through the mud and try to smear their reputations with lies and false accusations.

And don't forget Trump's wholehearted and outright endorsemment of Fauxcii.  pandemic management?  He gets a D+.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2024, 11:58:43 pm »
Welcome to TBR.  You've had some great early posts.

But to your point around Trump's conservatism:

I too go way back, even a young political junky watching the Nixon v. Humphrey election in '68.

But back to Trump:

1. Do you realize that DJT incrased the federal deficit more severely than any other POTUS in history, even with inflation adjustment.  i have the posts  with the details, if you are interested.
2. Have you heard Trump's campaign promise to build Freedom Cities and start Bonus Babies prgram, which at best guess will be a $15 Trillion price tag to the American taxpayer.

There are others, outside the issue of not being morally fit.  But that is for a different discussion.   Still, the alternative is worse, and I will be holding my nose and voting for him.  But one thing....  I am getting damned tired of holding my nose every 4 years.

I too am tired of holding my nose, so far, I just can't do it.  As I've stated a couple of times, I plan on voting down ballot.  That is it.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2024, 12:02:07 am »
I too am tired of holding my nose, so far, I just can't do it.  As I've stated a couple of times, I plan on voting down ballot.  That is it.

I hear ya, and held that position for much of this election cycle.  And as far as I am concerned, Tumpy is what I hope is a speed bump to slow down our demise.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2024, 12:10:36 am »
I hear ya, and held that position for much of this election cycle.  And as far as I am concerned, Tumpy is what I hope is a speed bump to slow down our demise.

Well, sure he'll try to be a speed bump, but I think his policies will be met with just as much opposition as they were the first time. Though if the GOP holds a super majority, that may differ.  He wasted his super-majority the first time around, so, I wouldn't hold my breath.  Has he learned anything at all from his first shot in office?  That's really hard to tell.

His age is now a concern. Noem would make an excellent VP and if he were to select her I may consider voting for him; but that's an awful big 'may'.

I am pretty confident that he's not going to be up against Brandon/Harris -- the DEMS have a much greater ticket lined up and of course a few more tricks up their sleeves. 

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2024, 12:14:49 am »
Not a single chance in hell that's true.
It IS true.

Reagan was more well-spoken than Trump. Reagan had a knowledge and appreciation for History--and the Conservative movement--far superior to Trump's, sure.

Yet Trump still governed just like Reagan, policy-wise. Actually more conservatively, because Trump was not scared to enact tariffs on foreign goods. Reagan was a typical '80s free-trader, convinced America would always prosper no matter how much "dumping" was done by foreign corporations subsidized by their respective governments.

I remember Reagan protecting Harley-Davidson with tariffs on Jap bikes. I think (maybe) US Steel, too.

But that was it.

Trump took on both China and Europe at once, with tariffs. Worked so well the CCP gave us Covid just to get rid of him.

How do you fail to recognize that Trump governed as a Conservative, when he clearly did?

PS I remember Reagan using Make America Great Again as one of his campaign slogans. 1980, not 1984.

Has Trump ever been asked about that?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2024, 12:25:50 am »
It IS true.

Reagan was more well-spoken than Trump. Reagan had a knowledge and appreciation for History--and the Conservative movement--far superior to Trump's, sure.

Yet Trump still governed just like Reagan, policy-wise. Actually more conservatively, because Trump was not scared to enact tariffs on foreign goods. Reagan was a typical '80s free-trader, convinced America would always prosper no matter how much "dumping" was done by foreign corporations subsidized by their respective governments.

I remember Reagan protecting Harley-Davidson with tariffs on Jap bikes. I think (maybe) US Steel, too.

But that was it.

Trump took on both China and Europe at once, with tariffs. Worked so well the CCP gave us Covid just to get rid of him.

How do you fail to recognize that Trump governed as a Conservative, when he clearly did?

PS I remember Reagan using Make America Great Again as one of his campaign slogans. 1980, not 1984.

Has Trump ever been asked about that?

So -- how did Trump's COVID policies work out for ya??   

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2024, 12:34:01 am »

Not quite so much...

President Trump Calls for Comprehensive Gun Bill

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4716546/president-trump-calls-comprehensive-gun-bill

Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Comprehensive Gun Control

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/us/politics/trump-gun-control.html

Trump in 1999: 'I am Very Pro-Choice'

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/trump-in-1999-i-am-very-pro-choice-480297539914

Trump lashes out at evangelical Christian leaders

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/01/18/trump-evangelical-christian-leaders-sot-avlon-cnntm-vpx.cnn

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2024, 12:36:43 am »
It IS true.

Two terms as a Conservative governor of a major state... Two terms of Conservative governance as a President... Not to mention the father of the modern Conservative movement - What he did to weld together the Conservative Coalition - Perhaps his greatest - THE greatest contribution in modern times.

No, TUmpy ain't fit to be a boil on Reagan's ass.

Yet Trump still governed just like Reagan, policy-wise. Actually more conservatively, because Trump was not scared to enact tariffs on foreign goods.

Political Conservatism, by definition is the defense of fiscal conservatism and conservative libertarianism at its root - It's very root. Tumpy did HISTORIC damage to fiscal conservatism and HISTORIC damage to libertarianism.

Whatever other argument you might make, THAT is NOT Conservatism.

Call him a populist, which is true. Call him a nativist, which is true. But I will rise every time to destroy any argument that that POS is Conservative.

He is not.

Reagan was a typical '80s free-trader, convinced America would always prosper no matter how much "dumping" was done by foreign corporations subsidized by their respective governments.

But that was it.

Free trade is a Conservative hallmark. Tariffs have their place, as Reagan demonstrated. They are not a weapon. In fact, the imposition of tariffs is a tax on one's own citizens. You'll find no protectionist zeal among Conservatives, especially when nothing is done to provide native alternatives.

Stolen valor... Just like his wrapping himself in the Conservative mantle.