General Category > Politics/Government

Republicans propose blocking SOTU speech if president doesn’t submit budget on time

(1/6) > >>

mystery-ak:
Republicans propose blocking SOTU speech if president doesn’t submit budget on time
Biden missed the deadline to submit his budget proposal to Congress this year
By Fred Lucas Fox News
Published February 26, 2024 4:00am EST | Updated February 26, 2024 4:34am EST

President Biden is preparing to deliver a State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress after again missing his deadline to present spending and national security plans to Congress.

Some Republicans in Congress want to hold Biden and future presidents accountable to the deadline with a simple penalty. No plans on time, no grand speech under a proposal titled the SUBMIT IT Act, short for Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time.

The Budget and Accounting Act of 1921 – updated several times – requires a president to submit his budget request to Congress no later than the first Monday in February. The National Security Act of 1947 requires the president to submit a national security proposal for the same day. But there is no enforcement mechanism for either, which is where the SUBMIT IT Act could come in.

"President Biden’s budget was due on Feb. 5, yet Congress has seen nothing," Rep. Buddy Carter, R-Ga., who sponsored the bill, told Fox News Digital.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-propose-block-sotu-speech-president-doesnt-submit-budget-on-time

240B:
WRONG! That would be idiotic. The more this demented old fool speaks, the lower he goes in the polls.
I am not sure he is even capable of completing a STOU speech.

All the Pubs have done with this 'threat' is to ensure the budget will never be delivered.
You think Biden WANTS to do the speech. HE REFUSED TO SPEAK AT THE SUPERBOWL!
Biden and staff consider this threat to be a gift from God.

jmyrlefuller:

--- Quote from: 240B on February 26, 2024, 02:33:20 pm ---WRONG! That would be idiotic. The more this demented old fool speaks, the lower he goes in the polls.
I am not sure he is even capable of completing a STOU speech.

All the Pubs have done with this 'threat' is to ensure the budget will never be delivered.
You think Biden WANTS to do the speech. HE REFUSED TO SPEAK AT THE SUPERBOWL!
Biden and staff consider this threat to be a gift from God.

--- End quote ---
SOTU is a required part of the Presidency. In the extremely unlikely circumstance this law were to be passed, it could put the President in contempt of Congress.

berdie:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on February 26, 2024, 09:04:54 pm --- SOTU is a required part of the Presidency. In the extremely unlikely circumstance this law were to be passed, it could put the President in contempt of Congress.

--- End quote ---

It is required but can be delivered in a written form, if I'm not mistaken. I think Joey would use that option if allowed.

Fishrrman:
j. myrle claimed:
"SOTU is a required part of the Presidency."

No, it is not.
At least, a "State of the Union SPEECH" is not required.

I believe the requirement is that the president send information to the Congress as to the condition of the country.

For years, this was delivered as a written message. Pretty much "a formality".
The grandstanding "State of the Union speech" came much later.

Prediction:
I'll take a GUESS that ol' white joe's appearance before Congress this time 'round will be a relatively short one -- short speech and then try to find his way back out the door... (will Jill accompany him right up to the podium...?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version