Author Topic: Scientists Resort to Once-Unthinkable Solutions to Cool the Planet  (Read 870 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Scientists Resort to Once-Unthinkable Solutions to Cool the Planet
Story by Eric Niiler • 1w

Dumping chemicals in the ocean? Spraying saltwater into clouds? Injecting reflective particles into the sky? Scientists are resorting to once unthinkable techniques to cool the planet because global efforts to check greenhouse gas emissions are failing.

These geoengineering approaches were once considered taboo by scientists and regulators who feared that tinkering with the environment could have unintended consequences, but now researchers are receiving taxpayer funds and private investments to get out of the lab and test these methods outdoors.

The shift reflects growing concern that efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions aren’t moving fast enough to prevent the destructive effects of heat waves, storms and floods made worse by climate change. Geoengineering isn’t a substitute for reducing emissions, according to scientists and business leaders involved in the projects. Rather, it is a way to slow climate warming in the next few years while buying time to switch to a carbon-free economy in the longer term.

Three field experiments are under way in the U.S. and overseas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/scientists-resort-to-once-unthinkable-solutions-to-cool-the-planet/ar-BB1ig98h
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Scientists Resort to Once-Unthinkable Solutions to Cool the Planet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 10:27:09 am »
What a good deal for eco-terrorists!  They can foul the skies and seas with chemicals, kill millions of people, blame it on global warming, and the media will support them. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:47:36 pm »
See:
The film "Snowpiercer":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer

"The film stars Chris Evans, Song Kang-ho, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer, Go Ah-sung, John Hurt, and Ed Harris. It takes place aboard the Snowpiercer train as it travels a globe-encircling track, carrying the last remnants of humanity after a failed attempt at climate engineering to stop global warming has created a new Snowball Earth."

It was actually pretty enjoyable...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:08:26 pm »
I'll just point out them chem-trail folks were right, all along. Jussayin.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 11:15:56 pm »
Back in the 1970s when global cooling was all the rage, scientist toyed with the idea of putting soot on the glaciers
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 06:48:23 am »
Funny how we have come full circle, and now the solution to saving the planet is pollution.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis