Author Topic: If at first you don’t succeed…keep digging  (Read 224 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If at first you don’t succeed…keep digging
« on: February 24, 2024, 11:43:23 am »
If at first you don’t succeed…keep digging
Director's column
22 Feb
Andrew Montford

Simon Evans, from Carbon Brief, has just made one of his regular attempts to convince us he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Regular readers will recall that Evans is the man who claimed, ludicrously, that you could get power 9 times more cheaply from a windfarm than you could from a gas turbine.

To get this result, recall, he took electricity prices at the peak of the energy crisis, denominated in Euros, and then compared them to wild predictions of wind farm costs denominated in Sterling. Having this pointed out to him was a bit embarrassing I imagine.

Undeterred, Dr Evans' latest foray into the world of high finance is an attempt to school an eminent economics professor on…economics. If at first you don’t succeed, eh?

Evans has taken issue with Gordon Hughes’ latest article in the Telegraph, which makes the (you would have thought uncontroversial) point that Labour’s £28 billion spending pledge (now an ex-pledge) would have hit the public very hard.

https://www.netzerowatch.com/all-news/carbon-brief-economics-fail
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson