Author Topic: Biden calls current GOP ‘worse’ than the ‘real racists’ he served with in the Senate in the ’70s  (Read 829 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden calls current GOP ‘worse’ than the ‘real racists’ he served with in the Senate in the ’70s
By
Christian Datoc
February 22, 2024 9:33 am

President Joe Biden heartily attacked Republican lawmakers Wednesday night during a private campaign fundraiser in San Francisco, California.

Biden has been battling with House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), other House Republicans, and, from a distance, former President Donald Trump over efforts to reform immigration policy and extend aid to Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan. During the fundraiser, the president claimed that this group was harder to deal with than the “real racists” he served with in the Senate in the 1970s.

“I’ve been a senator since ’72. I’ve served with real racists. I’ve served with Strom Thurmond. I’ve served with all these guys that have set terrible records on race,” Biden told a group of donors, per traveling press. “But guess what? These guys are worse. These guys do not believe in basic democratic principles.”

The president proceeded to recall how he’d been asked in 2003 to deliver the eulogy for former Sen. Strom Thurmond, a lifelong opponent of the civil rights movement who Biden claimed was easier to work with than the current House caucus.

“I told the truth. By the time Strom left, he did terrible things. But by the time he left, he had more African Americans in his staff than any other member in Congress. He voted to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act,” he claimed. “I’m not making him more than he was, but my point is at least you could work with some of these guys.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/2867950/biden-gop-worse-racists-served-senate-70s/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

“I’ve been a senator since ’72. I’ve served with real racists. I’ve served with Strom Thurmond. I’ve served with all these guys that have set terrible records on race,” Biden told a group of donors, per traveling press. “But guess what? These guys are worse. These guys do not believe in basic democratic principles.”

Then maybe the problem is Joe has too much in common with his political foes. 

Online mountaineer

RNC Research
@RNCResearch
This is an actual story Biden told last night at a private fundraiser in San Francisco about Republicans being "worse" than segregationists:

"I've been a senator since 1972. I got elected in '72. And the prospect of — here — here's what's going on: I've served with real racists. I served with Strom Thurmond. I served with all these guys that — that have set terrible records on race.

"But guess what? These guys [Republicans] are worse. These guys are worse. These guys do not believe in basic democratic principles.

"You know, at least in the old days, you'd have Ted Kennedy in Judiciary Committee going at — at Jim Eastland. And then, he'd go down in the Senate dining room and they’d have — they’d have — have lunch together.

"So, I got a phone call from Strom Thurmond’s wife when he was a hundred years old, dying at Walter Reed Hospital, saying 'Joe…' I said, 'How's Leader — how — how’s Strom?' And she said, 'Well, he's — he's on God's time now, Joe.'

"And I [she] said, 'I'm standing here at the nurse's station with a doctor — his doctor.' And she named the doctor. I don't remember the name. 'And he said he asked us to come out and call you. Will you do his eulogy?'

"And I thought, 'Holy God.' I did his eulogy. I started off by saying to my grandfather, Grandpa Finnegan, 'Forgive me for what I’m about to do.' (Laughter.)

"But I told the truth. Because by the time Strom left — he did terrible things. But by the time he left, he had more African Americans on his staff than any other member of the United States Congress. He voted to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act. He finally — a lot of it broke through — a lot of it broke though.

"I'm not making it more than it was, but my point is: At least you could work with some of these guys."
4:27 PM · Feb 22, 2024
Joe's grandfather Finnegan died in 1957. I doubt he was aware of Joe's attendance at Strom's funeral (or his own, for that matter).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 09:36:49 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Too bad Biden missed Boston's forced busing in the 1970s.  That's when I heard many words that would cause a woke social justice warrior's brain to bleed.

Things aren't perfect now, but there were far less perfect 50 years ago.

People forget its Dem pols who run cities with healthcare deserts, food deserts, and opportunity deserts that disadvantage poor and minority residents.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

Interesting and here just recently I thought it was determined that he was elderly with a failing memory.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yeah Skeez and back then you were thick as thieves with all of them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yeah Skeez and back then you were thick as thieves with all of them.
Don't forget Biden gave the eulogy for his good buddy Mr. KKK Robert Byrd.

Offline LMAO

Yawn

A Democrat playing the race card
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

KAMALA HARRIS: "There are few leaders as committed to bipartisan collaboration than Joe Biden!"

Two days ago, Biden smeared Republicans as "worse than" segregationists.

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1761063058992984067