Author Topic: ‘It’s like having a vegan cat’ – Wash Post: ‘Why you should consider bunnies as your next pet’ – Rab  (Read 568 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘It’s like having a vegan cat’ – Wash Post: ‘Why you should consider bunnies as your next pet’ – Rabbits have ‘minimal pawprint’ while ‘cats & dogs have an outsize carbon footprint’
WaPo’s ‘Climate Advice Columnist’ – February 20, 2024:

WaPo Excerpt: Cats and dogs have an outsize carbon footprint, mostly because of their carnivorous diet. If the pet food industry, which mainly feeds dogs and cats, were a country, it would rank as the 60th-highest greenhouse gas emitter, equivalent to the Philippines.
Rabbits, by contrast, leave a minimal pawprint. They eat small amounts of hay and otherwise discarded vegetables. Their waste can be used as fertilizer in gardens. ... In contrast, most cat and dog kibble is roughly 50 percent animal protein, accounting for around 1.5 percent of global agricultural emissions, according to a 2020 study in Global Environmental Change.

By Marc Morano
February 21, 2024
6:26 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/02/20/rabbits-eco-friendly-pets/

Advice by Michael J. Coren
Climate Advice Columnist

WaPo’s ‘Climate Advice Columnist’ – February 20, 2024 – Excerpt: If you have a pet in the United States, chances are it meows or barks. Of the 129 million households with pets in the country, roughly 3 in 4 have a cat or dog, according to 2021 Census data.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/02/21/its-like-having-a-vegan-cat-wash-post-why-you-should-consider-bunnies-as-your-next-pet-rabbits-have-minimal-pawprint-while-cats-dogs-have-an-outsize-carbon/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Plus you can eat them. :whistle:
So can I have a pet cow or pig instead, they are vegans too :silly: and edible.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I have wild bunnies outside my house.  Good eating for hawks and owls.

I let the bunnies eat the dutch clover (legume that restores nitrogen to soil), and they leave me organic fertilizer in return.

If they were really serious about reducing carbon footprint, they will kill all mammalian life on earth.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online mountaineer

If they were really serious about reducing carbon footprint, they will kill all mammalian life on earth.
The problem is that they want to start with humans.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org
---------------
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The problem is that they want to start with humans.

... but only humans that are not like themselves.  Deplorables will be the first to go the "farm upstate" where dead pets go to live out the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 09:07:58 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Millee

I know someone who keeps rabbits (usually has 10+) and they are smelly pets.  888mouth

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Those cute bunnies could also be leveraged by a hostile power to use "rabbit fever" as a bio-weapon:  https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/tularemia/faq.asp

Peeps on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard were worried about infected rabbits a few Summers back.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 09:27:12 pm by DefiantMassRINO »