Author Topic: Canada’s New Democratic Party introduces bill that would prescribe jail terms for speaking well of f  (Read 1234 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Canada’s New Democratic Party introduces bill that would prescribe jail terms for speaking well of fossil fuels
By Marc Morano
February 20, 2024
10:36 am

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ndp-bill-jail-terms-fossil-fuels
By Tristin Hopper
C-372, also known as the Fossil Fuel Advertising Act, was tabled Monday as a private member’s bill by NDP MP Charlie Angus

An NDP bill is seeking to criminalize the “promotion” of fossil fuels, and prescribe jail time even for Canadians who say scientifically true things such as how burning natural gas is cleaner than burning coal.

C-372, also known as the Fossil Fuel Advertising Act, was tabled Monday as a private member’s bill by Charlie Angus, the MP for Timmins-James Bay and a longtime member of the NDP caucus.

“Today, I am proud to rise and introduce a bill that would make illegal false advertising by the oil and gas industry,” Angus announced in the House of Commons.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/02/20/canadas-new-democratic-party-introduces-bill-that-would-prescribe-jail-terms-for-speaking-well-of-fossil-fuels/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Don't feel too upset about this abridgement of the freedom of speech.  We are vulnerable to this evil in America and some good democrat/rino will introduce something close to it in congress. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I reckon it's time for Alberta and Saskatchewan to secede.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe observes:
"I reckon it's time for Alberta and Saskatchewan to secede."

... Along with Manitoba, the Yukon and Northwest Territories, also.

I predict that Canada may indeed break up in the future, but... not until there's "a separation" in these [formerly] United States as well.

If that occurs -- if The Heartland breaks away -- I sense that it will be a signal to the Quebec'ers that the time has come for them to make their move. Would Canada fight a civil war amongst itself? With what army (they have almost none)?

We might see the Maritimes form their own nation -- perhaps drawing in some of New England. British Columbia (leftist) would make a good fit with western Washington and Oregon. Ontario -- isolated by itself -- might "look southward" to Minnesota, some of Wisconsin, Northern Illinois (i.e. shi*cago), perhaps even Michigan.

Uncertain times ahead.
But ... you know that it's coming.
What will cause "the fission" ...?

Offline roamer_1

I reckon it's time for Alberta and Saskatchewan to secede.

Add inland BC and NWT and you can open Alaskan deep ports to the inland states... Jussayin... Deep ports in AK, deep ports in Texas... That's a somethin...

Offline Smokin Joe

Add inland BC and NWT and you can open Alaskan deep ports to the inland states... Jussayin... Deep ports in AK, deep ports in Texas... That's a somethin...
It would take in the oil producing regions and the major grain farms, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN29X2HCKpU

@Smokin Joe
Yeah...Long ago I mused, "Let's take everything from Hudson's Bay to the Bay of Campeche, from the crest of the Sierras to the top of the Appalachians, call it America, and let the rest find a new name".
It isn't quite shaping up that way, but it's getting closer.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Canada's new Public Enemy #1:

Wayne Gretzky will be a political prisoner in his home country.

////00000////

I propose a new Canadian National Anthem, eh.  I'm sure the boys in Calgary and Edmonton would agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sKX3tWaOew
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

It would take in the oil producing regions and the major grain farms, too.

Then the Northeast and the left coast could go hang.... That gives me fuzzy happy feelings.

Offline Smokin Joe

Then the Northeast and the left coast could go hang.... That gives me fuzzy happy feelings.
It isn't that they don't have resources, it is just that they'd have to use them. When the Bakken Boom started, California was the No. 2 Oil producing State. The Hollywood Hills are lousy with pump jacks, and there's still an incredible amount offshore. Newfoundland has the Hibernia Field https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernia_oil_field, and New York has all that oil and mainly natural gas in the Marcellus Shale they would not produce (no fraccing in NY). They could buy it or produce (and refine) their own if they changed their laws. They are the sixth place Natural Gas consumer.

Neither has coal reserves, for that, they'd have to trade, if they would even use it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 04:22:58 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis