Author Topic: Why Not Go Back to the Gold Standard?  (Read 4138 times)

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Re: Why Not Go Back to the Gold Standard?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2024, 03:02:13 am »
How many TONS of gold will it take to take Trillions of dollars in currency off the market?  Is there even that much gold that has been mined up until today?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline libertybele

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2024, 03:17:32 am »
Let me put it this way:

Think of the CPI, our measure of inflation, as this "breadbasket" of everything we spend money on. When inflation goes up, the CPI goes up (obviously).

Silver has gone up in price at roughly the same pace as everything else. But gold has risen in price five times as fast as everything else, largely because speculators, goldbugs and investors have turned it into an investment instrument, taken it out of circulation and driven up the price.

The sheer scarcity of gold would mean a return to the gold standard would shrink our money supply to a fifth of what it is, basically making it five times harder to buy anything. All of a sudden, a $4 gallon of milk would cost the same amount of your paycheck as if it cost $20. That goes for everything else.

That's more than a pinch, that would be a complete and total economic crash that would make the Great Depression look like a brief downturn.

So are what you saying is that goods, services are inflated to such an extreme that they would out pace the value of gold because of the lack of physical gold to back our economy regardless of the amount of gold we currently hold?

The Feds are simply printing money out of thin air.

When Nixon took us off the gold standard they also confiscated holdings of monetary gold and the dollar could not be redeemed for gold...so after that took place, did that not in fact eventually create the increase in individuals holding actual physical gold, thus driving up the value of gold? 

Gold is a tangible asset.  The dollar is paper. It has value as long as the printing presses keep running and banks are allowed to loan money that really doesn't exist. As you are aware a good example of printing money out of thin air is what happened during COVID -- people were told to stay home, people needed money, so, they printed money and more money meanwhile the production of goods and service greatly diminished  -- as a result -- inflation -- higher gas prices, skyrocketing grocery prices, and cost of living.  IIRC the consumer price index is not reflective of the rising cost of food (I may be wrong).

When have you known the cost of living to go down?  Prices may come down somewhat but never returning to the prior level before inflation took hold. When is the last time we had a balanced budget?

IF our economy was backed by gold, in a free market,  investing capitol would then lead to the ability to produce more goods, therefore driving the prices of goods down and the value of gold up?

Inflation would cease and the printing presses and our rising debt would no longer be an issue.

I do understand that with your scenario returning to the gold standard would be nearly impossible.

Anyhow, it's a question I threw out there for discussion and you have made me think further on the issue (also I am now tired and need some sleep).

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2024, 03:52:03 am »
I think the problem goes back to the guns vs. butter problem in the 60's. Politicians want both, and the only way to do that is with fiat currency.

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 03:39:24 am »
Plus a show of hands who believe that we have the amount of gold our government is telling us.

Not that our government would ever lie to us.   :whistle:

There's waaaaaay too many big financial institutions tracking Gold for even our current regime to get away with lying about it.

Going from memory, last I checked total US government gold deposits aren't that impressive. A bit over 15 billion dollar's worth of gold.

We have a debt of well over $30 TRILLION, so there's no reason to be impressed that we also currently own $15 billion+ in physical gold.

That's chump-change by comparison.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2024, 04:18:16 am »
@scottfreitas

Welcome to TBR.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2024, 04:38:52 am »
Roughly 6 billion ounces of gold have been mined to date.  $12 trillion at today's price.  Not sure how one can use that as a basis for a $28 trillion dollar economy.  For the US to acquire just a third of that, it would drive the price upwards of $14,000 per ounce.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2024, 05:38:05 am »
@scottfreitas

Welcome to TBR.

Thank you!

Blame Pookie. Checking out his inimitable collections of daily wit drove me to realize this site has an amazing assortment of knowledge and opinion available.

Why not be a part of it? ;D

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2024, 03:10:03 am »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline scottfreitas

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2024, 04:12:44 am »
I smell a demplant.
I'm a pretty lousy one then, since I despise the Demoncrat Party with every fiber of my being and would love to see it RICO'd into the dustbin of History (as should have occurred after the Civil War).

Everything I hate most about our government came from Demoncrat regimes. From Wilson in 1913 (Federal Reserve, permanent cabinet agencies) to FDR (New Deal and every other commie thing he ever did) to JFK (created government unions, helped murder our Christian culture right alongside his buddies on the Warren Court) to LBJ (Great Society, Civil Rights Act) on up to Carter, Clinton, Obummer and FJB.

Only reason I vote GOP these days is cuz they're not Demoncrats.

So yeah. I'm a pretty failed "plant", there, guy.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2024, 04:21:17 am »
I'm a pretty lousy one then, since I despise the Demoncrat Party with every fiber of my being and would love to see it RICO'd into the dustbin of History (as should have occurred after the Civil War).

Everything I hate most about our government came from Demoncrat regimes. From Wilson in 1913 (Federal Reserve, permanent cabinet agencies) to FDR (New Deal and every other commie thing he ever did) to JFK (created government unions, helped murder our Christian culture right alongside his buddies on the Warren Court) to LBJ (Great Society, Civil Rights Act) on up to Carter, Clinton, Obummer and FJB.

Word.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-