Author Topic: 75 years after storming Iwo Jima, a Lancaster County veteran recalls, ‘It was them or you’  (Read 216 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
75 years after storming Iwo Jima, a Lancaster County veteran recalls, ‘It was them or you’
Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima. (Joe Rosenthal/Released)
FEBRUARY 09, 2024 JEFF HAWKES - LNP
Heading into combat for the first time, Pfc. George Aukamp wrestled with nerves.

A farm boy from Lancaster County, Aukamp rode with about 20 other Marines in an amphibious vehicle bouncing across waves toward tiny Iwo Jima, where 22,000 Japanese defenders waited in caves, tunnels and 900 fortifications with orders to fight to the death.

Military planners thought it would take six days to secure the 5-mile-long island and its strategic airfields 750 miles south of Tokyo.

But the epic World War II battle, which began Feb. 19, 1945, raged for five weeks before the Marines prevailed.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2024/02/75-years-after-storming-iwo-jima-a-lancaster-county-veteran-recalls-it-was-them-or-you/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline berdie

I had an uncle at Iwo Jima. He wouldn't talk much, but when he did he said it was hell.

I also had an uncle at Anzio. He didn't make it.