Author Topic: Psychologists were sure that "climate deniers" were selfish, but a study of 4,000 people found that  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Psychologists were sure that "climate deniers" were selfish, but a study of 4,000 people found that the experts were wrong
By Jo Nova (Australia)

A team of psychologists was so sure that "climate deniers" were fooling themselves for selfish reasons that they conducted three experiments on 4,000 people, only to find out they were completely wrong.

The researchers thought that those who don't accept coal causing storms and floods must be motivated by their desire to keep polluting, or flying, or feeling warm, and so they lie to themselves about science to feel good about it. (A bit like academics have to do when it turns out that they are well paid, but don't know their research topic at all, perhaps?)

It must have been quite a shock when Zimmermann and Stötzer were proven wrong in every experiment. They even tried to bribe skeptics with a twenty-dollar reward, but that still wasn't enough.

Why are people climate change deniers? Research Reveals Unexpected Results
Are climate change deniers distorting the facts to avoid having to change their environmentally harmful behavior? Researchers from the University of Bonn and the Institute of Labor Economics (IZA) conducted an online experiment involving 4,000 U.S. adults, and found no evidence to support this hypothesis. The authors of the study themselves were surprised by the results.

https://www.climategate.nl/2024/02/psychologen-waren-er-zeker-van-dat-klimaatontkenners-egoistisch-waren-maar-uit-een-onderzoek-onder-4-000-mensen-bleek-dat-de-experts-ongelijk-hadden/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson