Author Topic: Pentagon Places "Ethics" Above AI-Enabled Terminator Robots  (Read 193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Places "Ethics" Above AI-Enabled Terminator Robots
« on: February 18, 2024, 06:59:34 pm »
Pentagon Places "Ethics" Above AI-Enabled Terminator Robots
Autonomous weaponry is a crucial element of the U.S. military's shift toward AI
JOHNNY FRANKS, WARRIOR EDITORIAL FELLOWJAN 12, 2024
By Johnny Franks, Warrior Editorial Fellow

The US military's integration of AI and autonomous weapons systems is a dynamic and intricate process, marked by significant technological advancements and strategic enhancements. This progress necessitates a careful consideration of evolving policies, ethical implications, and strategic objectives, underscoring the delicate balance between embracing cutting-edge technology and addressing the profound ethical and policy challenges it presents.

In terms of specific applications of these technologies, two key areas stand out. First, the field of network-based warfare, in which the Joint All-Domain Command and Control (JADC2) system is a major focus. JADC2 aims to link all military areas (land, air, sea, space, and cyber) by connecting sensors and shooters. This system collects and processes huge data from many sources, like satellites, drones, ground sensors, and ships, using advanced AI. It's designed to analyze data in real-time and share it, improving awareness and decision-making speed. This network allows better and faster response to threats, using AI for quick analysis and sharing of important information. Second, autonomous weaponry is a crucial element of the U.S. military's shift toward AI. These can work with different levels of human control. Some, like drones or unmanned vehicles, conduct surveillance and intelligence gathering on their own. Others, like the "loyal wingman" program, work with manned systems. In this, autonomous drones team up with manned aircraft for tasks like scouting or engaging targets under certain conditions. These are programmed for specific missions and can make decisions like navigation and target identification on their own.

BY KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONJAN 29, 2024
In terms of tangible policy that addresses future developments, there already exists an evolving framework of intricate guidelines and principles, echoing a commitment to responsible and ethically grounded utilization of AI. The 2023 AI Adoption Strategy by the DoD, released in November 2023, provides a roadmap for integrating AI to maintain strategic and tactical superiority. This document is an intricate blueprint for AI deployment, emphasizing agility, rapid adoption, and a comprehensive focus on various operational dimensions, from battlespace awareness to enterprise operations. The strategy is a mosaic of objectives and principles, underpinned by a commitment to responsible AI development and safety protocols. DoD also recently updated its Directive 3000.09, which oversees the development and use of autonomous and semi-autonomous weapons systems, though one official “stressed that the update to the directive is ‘a clarification, not a major change.’"

https://warriormaven.com/land/pentagon-places-ethics-above-ai-enabled-terminator-robots
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pentagon Places "Ethics" Above AI-Enabled Terminator Robots
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 07:00:19 pm »
Is the "ethics" of wokeness or war? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson