Author Topic: Joe Manchin suggests Mitt Romney, Rob Portman as potential running mates as he flirts with third-par  (Read 418 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joe Manchin suggests Mitt Romney, Rob Portman as potential running mates as he flirts with third-party ticket
Manchin has not yet announced a third-party run
 By Jamie Joseph Fox News
Published February 15, 2024 2:53pm EST

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., said he'd pick Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, or former Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman as potential running mates in a hypothetical third-party presidential run.

"Hypothetically, if I was picking my running mate… really, who I would ask right now is Mitt Romney," Manchin said Thursday at the City Club of Cleveland breakfast forum.

"Maybe Rob Portman would be right there, too," Manchin added. "Rob is a dear friend of mine. What a good man, what a good man."

City Club CEO Dan Moulthrop moderated the forum, which had roughly 150 people in attendance, and repeatedly probed Manchin on whether he would jump in the race.

"Guys, listen, I’m not running for anything," Manchin said. "I’m basically running to try to get people involved."

Manchin's comments come as he has been flirting with a third-party presidential bid in recent months, with his two-month "listening tour" sparking even more speculation that he will throw his hat in the ring. Both Manchin and Romney announced last year they would not seek re-election to the Senate in 2024.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-manchin-suggests-mitt-romney-rob-portman-potential-running-mates-flirts-third-party-ticket
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Well, that could make a boring race a little more interesting.

Online mountaineer

Mittens. Good grief.  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Mittens. Good grief.  :thud:

Oh, he's terrible.  So is Manchin.  But a Biden/Trump/Legit 3rd alternative race would at least be interesting.  Normally, candidate run towards the middle a bit more in the general election, but with that middle group sitting out there, maybe the strategy becomes more to lock down/energize your base of support and hope that 35-40% is enough to win.

We also could possibly end up with an election thrown into the House.

Online mountaineer

Mitt and Joe are both 76, so they really provide a youthful alternative to the 77-y/o Trump and 81-y/o Biden.  :pondering:
Oh, you kids!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

A Third Party plays right into Trump's small orange hands.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Mitt and Joe are both 76, so they really provide a youthful alternative to the 77-y/o Trump and 81-y/o Biden.  :pondering:
Oh, you kids!

Good point.  They'd likely do better with someone like Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Sinema or Haley on the ticket, although I don't think Haley would be interested because she still sees herself as a mainstream Republican.

Offline libertybele

I'm not so sure that Mittens would run third party.  This would also give RFK Jr. some more competition.

Normally people don't vote 3rd party, so which party would this take votes away from?

I'm still not interested in anyone running, and Manchin, Mittens or Portman aren't an option either.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

Manchin has just decided against running.  The only significant third partier seems to be Kennedy (potentially) on the Libertarian ticket.

Offline libertybele

Manchin has just decided against running.  The only significant third partier seems to be Kennedy (potentially) on the Libertarian ticket.

Good-bye Joe.  :beer:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/manchin-announces-he-wont-run-for-president/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.