Author Topic: Analysis: ‘Big Claims About Tiny Numbers’ in ‘record ocean temp’ study – ‘Angst is about a temperatu  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Analysis: ‘Big Claims About Tiny Numbers’ in ‘record ocean temp’ study – ‘Angst is about a temperature change of three & a half thousandths of one degree. EVERYONE PANIC!!’

Willis Eschenbach: A new paper yclept “New Record Ocean Temperatures and Related Climate Indicators in 2023“ ... So all the angst is about a temperature change of three and a half thousandths of one degree. EVERYONE PANIC!! But that wasn’t the interesting part. The interesting part is their uncertainty... Their claimed uncertainty says that four ARGO floats could measure the temperature of the entire global ocean to an uncertainty of less than one tenth of one degree … yeah, right.

Sadly, I fear that’s as far as I got in their paper … I was laughing too hard to continue. I’m sure it’s all sciency and everything, but they lost me by hyperventilating over an ocean warming of three and a half thousandths of a degree and put me over the edge by claiming an impossibly small uncertainty.
By Marc Morano
February 3, 2024
6:43 am
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/01/15/big-claims-about-tiny-numbers/

by Willis Eschenbach

Excerpt: A new paper yclept “New Record Ocean Temperatures and Related Climate Indicators in 2023“. … There’s a fascinating claim in the abstract, viz:

In 2023, the sea surface temperature (SST) and upper 2000 m ocean heat content (OHC) reached record highs. The 0–2000 m OHC in 2023 exceeded that of 2022 by 15 ± 10 ZJ (1 Zetta Joules = 1021 Joules) (updated IAP/CAS data); 9 ± 5 ZJ (NCEI/NOAA data).

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/02/03/analysis-big-claims-about-tiny-numbers-in-record-ocean-temp-study-angst-is-about-a-temperature-change-of-three-a-half-thousandths-of-one-degree/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson