Author Topic: Scientists Want To Dump 6,000 Gallons Of Chemicals Into Ocean Near Martha’s Vineyard  (Read 301 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

WRITTEN BY NICK POPE ON FEB 15, 2024. POSTED IN NEWS AND OPINION

Scientists Want To Dump 6,000 Gallons Of Chemicals Into Ocean Near Martha’s Vineyard

A team of scientists is looking to dump chemicals into waters off the coast of Massachusetts this summer to research whether doing so could be an effective counter to ocean acidification and climate change, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The project would see researchers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) pour approximately 6,000 gallons of sodium hydroxide — a component of lye — into waters ten miles away from Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, in August 2024, according to the WSJ. [emphasis, links added]

The research project, estimated to cost about $10 million in total, will receive taxpayer funds from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provided the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) signs off on releasing the chemicals.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/scientists-want-to-dump-6000-gallons-of-chemicals-into-ocean-near-marthas-vineyard/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Scientists Want To Dump 6,000 Gallons Of Chemicals Into Ocean Near Martha’s Vineyard

Scientists or big money investors looking for a new source of revenue? :pondering:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:51:06 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Great way to create a dead zone off your beaches.  **nononono*

The river I grew up on was messed with by a bunch of 'geniuses' from the ACOE and State of MD.

The estuarine ecosystem was killed by an attempt to remove aquatic vegetation to avoid fouling pleasure craft props.

What was then, 60 years ago, a thriving fishery full of fish, crabs, oysters, and clams has yet to recover, and likely never will, as attempts to re-establish the aquatic vegetation have failed, decade after decade. Whatever those idiots sprayed on the river at night is still lingering in the sediment (brackish water tidal estuary), and the replanted aquatic grasses start to grow and die.
You can still catch a few crabs there, and even tong a few oysters. The clams are gone (extinct, wiped out by Cow-nosed Ray which could only get at them with the grasses removed), and most of the species of fish I fished for as a child are just no longer present, replaced by 'river catfish' released into the James River, which supposedly did not go into the ocean, but somehow made it up from the James river to Cape Charles (via the Atlantic) and up into the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay.

Just quit screwing with Nature.

So if those idiots in Massachusetts want to screw with their water offshore, keep in mind the effects of such 'experiments' can be profound, negative, and lasting.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis