Author Topic: Chile Forest Fires–Climate Change?  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chile Forest Fires–Climate Change?
« on: February 16, 2024, 11:12:00 am »
Chile Forest Fires–Climate Change?
FEBRUARY 15, 2024
tags: wildfires
By Paul Homewood

Blame it on climate change!

The Valparaíso region of Chile is wealthy and densely populated, but last Friday there was little to warn residents living in the green hills and valleys that a firestorm packing the power of several hydrogen bombs was to hit. 

Fabiola Camilla, a 31-year-old mother of two, watched her seven-year-old daughter playing at her birthday party. She recalled nothing out of the ordinary, other than the warm, dry weather the currents of El Niño had brought to an area known locally as the Jewel of the Pacific.

There was also a fierce wind, said Misael Vergara Tapia, a resident of the neighbouring village of Achupallas. “A hot wind … a wind we had never felt before.”

From this idyll erupted hell. Moments later, fire was leaping from house to house, setting entire neighbourhoods ablaze and threatening the lives of thousands. “It was like a tornado of fire,” said Misael, 67. “In five minutes, you couldn’t see more than half a metre in front of you. Everyone was shouting, calling for their family. People died on the streets, in their cars.”

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2024/02/15/chile-forest-fires-climate-change/#more-71839
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson