Author Topic: Media Push Debunked Claim That Climate Change Causing Atlantic Current To Collapse  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY ANTHONY WATTS ON FEB 13, 2024. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Media Push Debunked Claim That Climate Change Causing Atlantic Current To Collapse

A recent CNN headline, “Critical Atlantic Ocean current system is showing early signs of collapse, prompting a warning from scientists“ misleads its readers into believing that a collapse of a critical Atlantic Ocean current is pending. This is false.

The CNN article opens by saying:

A crucial system of ocean currents may already be on course to collapse, according to a new report, with alarming implications for sea level rise and global weather — leading temperatures to plunge dramatically in some regions and rise in others.

The CNN story is referring to a study in Science Advances, titled Physics-based early warning signal shows that AMOC is on a tipping course. [emphasis, links added]

Dozens of other media outlets picked up the story, also running frightening headlines, all blaming climate change. For example:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/media-push-debunked-claim-that-climate-change-causing-atlantic-current-to-collapse/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson