Author Topic: Massive Fire Engulfs America’s Largest Free-Range Egg Farm Killing Millions of Chickens  (Read 379 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Massive Fire Engulfs America’s Largest Free-Range Egg Farm Killing Millions of Chickens
By: Jason Walsh
May 31, 2024

A massive fire broke out at Farina Farms Inc. in Marion County, Illinois, one of the largest free-range egg facilities in the U.S., resulting in the deaths of millions of chickens.

The fire began around 6:30 p.m. along Highway 37 before rapidly escalating into a 5-alarm fire, which required five different fire departments from surrounding areas to tackle the blaze, WAND TV reported.

The fire engulfed multiple buildings spanning 200-300 yards in length.

Marion County Sheriff Kevin Cripps described the fire as humongous.”

WGN9 reported that the smoke was so dense that it was visible on FOX 2’s Power Doppler radar, reaching altitudes between 13,000 and 15,000 feet.

Meteorologist Jacob Dickey wrote on Facebook:

“The fire at the Chicken Farm south of Farina is so hot it is actually producing a rare type of cloud over it.”

continued at:

https://www.dailyfetched.com/massive-fire-engulfs-americas-largest-free-range-egg-farm-killing-millions-of-chickens/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
One question:

Given the number of infernos involving the national food supply and the real possibility it is terrorism/arson---
why doesn't the corporation hire 24/7 security and install hi-tech equipment to minimize events such as this??
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PeteS in CA

Improperly stored feed or electrical fire are more likely causes (does chicken manure give off methane when stored?). Contributing to the degree of spread was that, apparently, no employee was on site at the time of ignition and spread.

Waiting for actual facts should precede more extreme speculations. Fires happen at livestock and grain facilities, probably dating back to around when humans domesticated livestock and seed-bearing grasses.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 03:21:36 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Improperly stored feed or electrical fire are more likely causes (does chicken manure give off methane when stored?). Contributing to the degree of spread was that, apparently, no employee was on site at the time of ignition and spread.

Waiting for actual facts should precede more extreme speculations. Fires happen at livestock and grain facilities, probably dating back to around when humans domesticated livestock and seed-bearing grasses.
From experience with family friends that owned one of those old timey nasty egg ranches...which never caught fire by the way, my memory is that chicken sh!t reeked of ammonia.

Chickens excrete nitrogen in their feces in the form of ammonia, uric acid, and urea. When bacteria and enzymes break down the uric acid and urea in the manure, they convert it into ammonia. This ammonia is then released into the air as a gas that can be detected by birds and humans.

Is chicken manure flammable?
Spontaneous combustion in a litter stack can result from the buildup of combustible methane or the storage of wet and dry litter. Fires may also occur if the manure is stacked too closely to wooden walls that may ignite when the temperature in the litter reaches the wood's flash point.Jul 25, 2018

Offline roamer_1

"Free Range' chickens die in building fire... Jussayin. That's one big-ass chicken tractor.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!

Spontaneous combustion happens when organic material decomposes,
slowly releasing heat, and the organic material is in a big pile,
forming a thick layer of insulation, preventing the heat from escaping.

Piles of mulch can spontaneously ignite. Piles of any organic material can.
Stacks of hay bales should be safe, IF they are kept dry.
Moisture in the piles of organic material is essential
for the bacteria that cause decomposition.

This incident needs to be widely publicized, to increase farmers' awareness of
the hazards of piles of organic material.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Spontaneous combustion happens when organic material decomposes,
slowly releasing heat, and the organic material is in a big pile,
forming a thick layer of insulation, preventing the heat from escaping.

Piles of mulch can spontaneously ignite. Piles of any organic material can.
Stacks of hay bales should be safe, IF they are kept dry.
Moisture in the piles of organic material is essential
for the bacteria that cause decomposition.

This incident needs to be widely publicized, to increase farmers' awareness of
the hazards of piles of organic material.

Color me skeptical but I find it hard to believe that "one of the largest free-range egg facilities in the U.S." does not know about the dangers of spontaneous combustion of piles of chicken sh!t, or that they would keep said large piles adjacent to flammable structures housing their most valuable assets. I also find it incomprehensible that there wasn't a fire suppression system, aka fire sprinkles capable of extinguishing the fire.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Color me skeptical but I find it hard to believe that "one of the largest free-range egg facilities in the U.S." does not know about the dangers of spontaneous combustion of piles of chicken sh!t, or that they would keep said large piles adjacent to flammable structures housing their most valuable assets. I also find it incomprehensible that there wasn't a fire suppression system, aka fire sprinkles capable of extinguishing the fire.
Expensive eggs just got more expensive...

Yeah, I wonder that someone wasn't watching out for all that, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis