Author Topic: Any Old Farts Here?😏  (Read 14288 times)

Online libertybele

Re: Any Old Farts Here?😏
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2024, 01:41:24 am »
I never got to wear any of those..I led a sheltered life with a strict mother...I was a Beatles fan although my mother didn't approve she gave in and let me buy their records and decorate my bedroom walls with their pics....one a side note the first time I played Yummy Yummy Yummy by Ohio Express on my record player my mother came in and took the 45 away.... :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yijqy48mmG4&ab_channel=ClassicHitsStudio

I liked that tune as well.   :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2024, 01:56:55 am »
Well, I had a strict mother as well.  I wasn't allowed to wear blue jeans to school. That's where the maxi coat that I had came in handy.  I'd roll up my jeans under my coat and put heels on and then take heels off on the bus and put on my moccasins that I hid in my purse. All was fine until the little goody two shoes neighbor that lived next store told on me.  Ugh ... just thinking about her.

By the next year I think she gave up on that idea but I had to pay for the jeans myself.  No problem.  I babysat and saved money.  Jeans were only $5.00 a pair at the local headshop.

I couldn't even do that...Catholic schools with boxy uniforms with blazers... *****rollingeyes*****
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2024, 01:58:33 am »
I recall wearing; bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, mini and maxi skirts, platform shoes, moccasins, suede leather jackets with fringe, blue jean or corduroy jackets and blazers and large hooped earrings.   Pretty much a cross between Janis Joplin and Twiggy.

Well as far as 70's fashion goes, I was a fan of halter tops myself.  :smokin:

They were well named because if the girl had the goods to wear them it'd pretty much halt any red blooded American male in his tracks.

Add: I think they were officially called tube tops, but we called them halter tops here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:00:55 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2024, 02:01:41 am »
I couldn't even do that...Catholic schools with boxy uniforms with blazers... *****rollingeyes*****

By the time I was in high school we had moved again and I then went to a public school.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2024, 02:09:15 am »

Free puppies and high beams on.  What a great time to be young.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2024, 02:15:30 am »

They were well named because if the girl had the goods to wear them it'd pretty much halt any red blooded American male in his tracks.

Add: I think they were officially called tube tops, but we called them halter tops here.

At the public school I went to halter tops and tube tops were not allowed. I lived up north and it was too cold out anyways till the summer months. My summer attire was mostly a bikini top or halter top and cut-off blue jean shorts.

Halter tops were more like wearing a scarf or bandana that tied at the neck and then either tied at the back at the mid waist or to the waist and tube tops didn't have ties.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2024, 04:57:04 pm »

So you wore shorts thru out the 70's? :laugh:

LOL!  No....I lived in Michigan then.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2024, 04:59:24 pm »
LOL!  No....I lived in Michigan then.

I don't think I've ever worn shorts... And you all should be grateful.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2024, 06:57:42 pm »
I'm such an old fart, the first artist that comes to mind when I hear the title "Puppy Love" isn't Donny Osmond. That artist is _______  _______. (<--- who's old enough to remember?)

As an aside, I can sing and probably play every song by Kingston Trio by heart.  :whistle:

@roamer_1
Hey, I could have written that!  :beer: Challenge - without looking anything up, name these 2 Kingston Trio songs by the following lyrics:

- The whole world is festering with unhappy souls

- People won't believe me, they'll think that I'm just braggin'

Don't nobody help him, y'all!

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2024, 07:14:06 pm »
I remember all of them too.  But IMO only 12 of them are what I woould call "rock"

@catfish1957

Those are likely my least favorite. Of the songs on this list, I have several 45s and one album (Nilsson). My preferences from this list were the wildly disrespected disco songs. Bill Withers (both songs), Staple Singers, Al Green, even Joe Tex. These songs were on the chart when I was hitting the private clubs in Houston. Dancing was such a happy place for me.

As someone else said, there weren't enough country songs on the list, but that's another place you could find me -- at the dance halls.

I'm guessing I wouldn't have run into you in either of those places?  333cleo (I never danced like an Egyptian, but it's the only dancing icon I could find. Work with me.)

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2024, 08:21:42 pm »
As an aside, I can sing and probably play every song by Kingston Trio by heart.  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tc1GUXxr2o
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2024, 08:45:55 pm »
@roamer_1
Hey, I could have written that!  :beer: Challenge - without looking anything up, name these 2 Kingston Trio songs by the following lyrics:

Dunno the title...

"They're rioting in Africa, They're starving in Spain, There's hurricanes in Florida, And Texas needs rain..."

- People won't believe me, they'll think that I'm just braggin'

"... But I could feel the way I do, and still be on the wagon... All I need is one of your smiles, sunshine of your eyes oh me oh my..."

Scotch and Soda...

Don't nobody help him, y'all!

I don't need no help here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 08:47:04 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2024, 08:52:57 pm »
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tc1GUXxr2o

MTA is a GREAT song! My favorite is probably "The Escape of Old John Webb"

My dad would get in his beers and have my sis and me sing those old songs... A lot of good memories there.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 08:54:19 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2024, 08:55:40 pm »

Merry Minuet, btw... Sorry I still use a Rolodex in my head.  :shrug:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2024, 09:37:33 pm »
I'm such an old fart, the first artist that comes to mind when I hear the title "Puppy Love" isn't Donny Osmond. That artist is _______  _______. (<--- who's old enough to remember?)
Mr. Paul Anka, who himself had his own 70s/early 80s comeback with some of his best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mXjgi2E0c
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2024, 10:36:38 pm »
@roamer_1 and @jmyrlefuller

Good work, guys. Go to the head of the class.

:hands:

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2024, 11:23:10 pm »
Hey!  I was just contemplating if I’ll ever do another Best of the Decade survey ever again….

I used to do this periodically over the years at TOS.  Increasingly unwelcome, I don’t even know if I feel like setting it up again.  Lots of work on FR (user-unfriendly posting) besides the new survey method.

You all seem to talk music a lot.  It’s fun if I can gather even 40 people to vote on music surveys.  Not sure I could do it here if not active enough.

If anyone is interested my next would be the ‘60s.  Last on FR was ‘50s.  I like to go in order and even it out per what I did in past.

No, I’m not quite in the “old” zone yet.  Just always loved so much music!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2024, 11:41:31 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2024, 11:48:07 pm »
Hey!  I was just contemplating if I’ll ever do another Best of the Decade survey ever again….

I used to do this periodically over the years at TOS.  Increasingly unwelcome, I don’t even know if I feel like setting it up again.  Lots of work on FR (user-unfriendly posting) besides the new survey method.

You all seem to talk music a lot.  It’s fun if I can gather even 40 people to vote on music surveys.  Not sure I could do it here if not active enough.

If anyone is interested my next would be the ‘60s.  Last on FR was ‘50s.  I like to go in order and even it out per what I did in past.

No, I’m not quite in the “old” zone yet.  Just always loved so much music!

I'd get a little too involved in the analysis.  I'd watch though. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2024, 10:16:26 am »
The first record I ever bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDE9MC3jnl0&list=PL65E2BFB88DC87EB6&index=1

LOL.  Reminds me of one of the 1st 45's I ever bought.  Wichita Lineman.  I thought it was about a football team/player!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2024, 01:08:57 pm »

LOL.  Reminds me of one of the 1st 45's I ever bought.  Wichita Lineman.  I thought it was about a football team/player!

Stop it!  888mouth

Offline mrclose

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2024, 07:47:34 am »
Seems to me that everybody finds it important to point out how horrible disco was!

Sorry, I don't buy it.
If it weren't so late I'd look up a few that I Know you disco haters couldn't help cutting a rug over!

Yep, I'm old .. cutting a rug! Lol
🤣🤣🤣🤣
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2024, 08:29:29 am »
Seems to me that everybody finds it important to point out how horrible disco was!

Sorry, I don't buy it.
If it weren't so late I'd look up a few that I Know you disco haters couldn't help cutting a rug over!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry. Country and blue grass.... Disco never even left a dent.  :shrug:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2024, 02:17:01 pm »

Sorry, I don't buy it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

@mrclose

Let's irk a few, shall we? Even if they can't bring themselves to dance to them (a phenomenon which I will neverunderstand), you and I can get down and get funky. Good way to start the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvlujbJ5vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3vgBzgYn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMVflSBKx8

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2024, 03:25:48 pm »
I'm so old that I've never been in a disco ever and plan to keep it that way.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien