Author Topic: Any Old Farts Here?😏  (Read 14271 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Any Old Farts Here?😏
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2024, 07:41:51 pm »
Yup.  1974.  That was when they put Precious and Few on the do not play list at the station.  Damn college girls would phone in to my show and request it.  For the love of all things holy...please stop!..  lol   I'd usually just play "My Ding-a-ling"!!!

I'm pretty sure I am a tad younger than you.  DJ was my High School job that lasted 16 years.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2024, 07:57:26 pm »
Don't remember them when they were new, well before my time... but I listened to a good chunk of that on the oldies/classic hits stations for 20 years. (Though thanks to a robust radio blackout, I didn't discover the Osmonds until a few years ago.)

Does that make me an honorary old fart?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2024, 08:21:56 pm »
Don't remember them when they were new, well before my time... but I listened to a good chunk of that on the oldies/classic hits stations for 20 years. (Though thanks to a robust radio blackout, I didn't discover the Osmonds until a few years ago.)

Does that make me an honorary old fart?

The club is always open to new members!  I was a young codger, myself.  Old Fart was a natural transition.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2024, 09:05:17 pm »
I remember all of them.  A couple years later I was playing records for a radio station.  I believe @Wingnut started doing around then, too.

I remember all of them too.  But IMO only 12 of them are what I woould call "rock"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2024, 09:12:47 pm »
Yup.  1974.  That was when they put Precious and Few on the do not play list at the station.  Damn college girls would phone in to my show and request it.  For the love of all things holy...please stop!..  lol   I'd usually just play "My Ding-a-ling"!!!
Yeah, I remember most of the songs on the list, but really can't stand several of them, including that one.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2024, 09:37:54 pm »
I remember all but two. I may know them if I youtubed them. :shrug:

However...I'm not as old as dirt yet...but I do seem to be getting a little dusty, lol.

Offline berdie

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2024, 09:47:51 pm »
I'm working on walking farts.  At Walmart.

My Dad and his better-than-thou wife would go shopping at the Wall or grocery store. He would  wait for the perfect time when the aisle was crowded, he was close to the end of the aisle and she was close, but not too close...and then "do the deed".  He'd then duck around the corner and make it seem like her event. He found this enormously amusing.

I guess you have to make your own fun sometimes.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2024, 11:09:16 pm »
I remember all of them too.  But IMO only 12 of them are what I woould call "rock"

The 70's was a weird music decade.  Some rock, some bubble gum teen crap, some ballads and then to what is/was the worst music to ever find its way into America....DISCO.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2024, 11:22:25 pm »
The 70's was a weird music decade.  Some rock, some bubble gum teen crap, some ballads and then to what is/was the worst music to ever find its way into America....DISCO.

Yes, but do you recall the dreaded "Folk Music Scare?"  We were terrified that would somehow catch on and be demanded airplay like the Bubblegum and Disco crazes.
I will NOT comply.

Offline berdie

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2024, 11:34:02 pm »

The music wasn't great* but Disco sure was fun to dance to. However, had I been a DJ...I would have been gritting my teeth.

*I really like the BeeGees.  :bolt:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2024, 11:35:10 pm »
Yes, but do you recall the dreaded "Folk Music Scare?"  We were terrified that would somehow catch on and be demanded airplay like the Bubblegum and Disco crazes.
somewhere, the Kingston Trio was lurking, waiting to exact revenge for the British Invasion running their careers.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2024, 11:37:04 pm »

I wore a "Disco Sucks" T-shirt in the day, but even as bad as Disco was it is 10X better than (c)rap.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2024, 11:37:31 pm »

The music wasn't great* but Disco sure was fun to dance to. However, had I been a DJ...I would have been gritting my teeth.

*I really like the BeeGees.  :bolt:

It's years later, so I can laugh at that now...I never wore bell bottoms, BTW.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2024, 11:40:52 pm »
somewhere, the Kingston Trio was lurking, waiting to exact revenge for the British Invasion running their careers.

Funny, I liked them.  John Stewart....
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2024, 11:45:47 pm »

Funny, I liked them.  John Stewart....

She holds her head up with a wild war whoop
And Henry cries, "Don't drop it in the soup!"
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2024, 11:55:45 pm »

So you wore shorts thru out the 70's? :laugh:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2024, 12:04:13 am »

So you wore shorts thru out the 70's? :laugh:

Great. Now I have the "who wears short shorts" jingle in my head.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2024, 12:32:16 am »

As an aside, I can sing and probably play every song by Kingston Trio by heart.  :whistle:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2024, 01:02:37 am »

I recall wearing; bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, mini and maxi skirts, platform shoes, moccasins, suede leather jackets with fringe, blue jean or corduroy jackets and blazers and large hooped earrings.   Pretty much a cross between Janis Joplin and Twiggy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2024, 01:05:47 am »
As an aside, I can sing and probably play every song by Kingston Trio by heart.  :whistle:

...hmm... I looked them up and knew a few of their songs, but not many.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2024, 01:08:59 am »
Good grief.  Precious and Few?  For the love of God... Do NOT post a YouTube vid of that insipid song.

Not one of the songs that I recognize. I'll take your advice and not look it up.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2024, 01:14:01 am »

If I never hear Tom Dooley again it will be too soon.  Good thing was the folk revival was short lived on the Smothers Brothers show.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2024, 01:27:35 am »
I recall wearing; bell bottom jeans, hip huggers, mini and maxi skirts, platform shoes, moccasins, suede leather jackets with fringe, blue jean or corduroy jackets and blazers and large hooped earrings.   Pretty much a cross between Janis Joplin and Twiggy.

I never got to wear any of those..I led a sheltered life with a strict mother...I was a Beatles fan although my mother didn't approve she gave in and let me buy their records and decorate my bedroom walls with their pics....one a side note the first time I played Yummy Yummy Yummy by Ohio Express on my record player my mother came in and took the 45 away.... :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yijqy48mmG4&ab_channel=ClassicHitsStudio
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:29:01 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2024, 01:37:24 am »
I never got to wear any of those..I led a sheltered life with a strict mother...I was a Beatles fan although my mother didn't approve she gave in and let me buy their records and decorate my bedroom walls with their pics....one a side note the first time I played Yummy Yummy Yummy by Ohio Express on my record player my mother came in and took the 45 away.... :shrug:

Well, I had a strict mother as well.  I wasn't allowed to wear blue jeans to school. That's where the maxi coat that I had came in handy.  I'd roll up my jeans under my coat and put heels on and then take heels off on the bus and put on my moccasins that I hid in my purse. All was fine until the little goody two shoes neighbor that lived next store told on me.  Ugh ... just thinking about her.

By the next year I think she gave up on that idea but I had to pay for the jeans myself.  No problem.  I babysat and saved money.  Jeans were only $5.00 a pair at the local headshop.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:38:33 am by libertybele »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2024, 01:41:21 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yijqy48mmG4&ab_channel=ClassicHitsStudio

GEEZ Louise! That's almost as bad as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM8tROzp4Dc
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien