Author Topic: Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack NATO allies who pay too little  (Read 5270 times)

Online LMAO

Pulled, the reason:

This out of context TDS garbage has already been posted - it’s in breaking news

Here is the new post: https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4216553/posts

That reaction from FR is to be expected

They know what he said was bad and not out of context but they’ll dismiss what he said because that’s how cults operate
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

The problem is that I now believe Trump wasn't just doing that as a tactic, but rather has a genuine liking for "strongman" styles of leadership.  So it wasn't a gambit - it was how he actually sees those countries, and I think he lets his personal feelings for a country's leaders be the determining element for national policy towards that country.  That's ass-backwards.  I think he actually likes Putin, and is in favor of a Russian victory because he sees Ukraine as being more pro-Biden, and Russia being more pro-Trump.  And that's enough for him.

I see that... Or, in the terms of a con man or salesman (same thing), The term 'one trick pony' might apply.  Not quite - I don't mean that Tumpy is a one trick pony (though he kinda is). But there is a tendency in sales (let's call it) for the salesman to operate using the things in his arsenal that have worked before... So a type of play is likely to use the same tricks. Do you see what I mean?

I get your end of it - I think Tumpy is a megalomaniac, and to some degree, might admire others like that, or at least have a natural affinity. That whole thing might have legs. But it could be working the deal with what works. He knows the need for accolades and the appearance of showered honor - I might say he lives for that himself. But if he knows, he might just be working his play... Using that information as an exploit.  The same play that worked with others, he'll use that again.

Putin has wanted to rebuild the Soviet Union pretty much ever since it fell apart, and has looked for opportunities to do so.  I also think he has become more desperate as he gets older because he doesn't want to leave the task undone.  He tried to install a puppet regime in Kiev back in 2014, and the Ukrainians rebelled.  He now saw an opportunity in 2022, so he took it.

Oh I think it is way deeper than that. Ukraine is the ancient Rus homeland, where all of Russia comes from. I think what is in Putin is deeper than any nationalism. I think its blood. Heritage. It calls to him.

I think Trump would pressure Ukraine to give it to Putin early in his second term.  Might do the same with some of the other Republics as well, and I wouldn't be shocked if he started disparaging the Baltic states either, and started making comments about their Russian-speaking population, etc..

Right. I think that too. And in that I part ways for sure, though it ain't none of our business beyond exposing the US elements that were playing Ukraine and using it to launder money... to bring those to justice is our business.

Still, the diplomatic way to handle that deal would be to make Ukraine the economic middle between Europe, points south, and Russia... Russia gets it's buffer state, so does Europe, and Ukraine gets a fairly insoluble liberty. No Nato membership, no militarized zones. Just economic opportunity all the way around.

That's the fix. And if Putin gets accolades for the solution, all the better.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I'm just going to point out that if Ukraine truly is viewed as an integral part of Mother Russia, then it wouldn't be a buffer state at all.  Rather, it would just mean that Russia's own border moved further west, as would the border of any necessary buffer states.

Also, I suspect the British crown felt the same way about those colonies being theirs by blood as well.  Doesn't make our I dependence any less legitimate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:32:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

That's it right there! There's grist in that mill. Something happened. If we knew what that was, things would be more clear. Obviously Ukraine is the prize, and in that, also the fulcrum.

Something is there. Just can't see what.

Think of all the money that Joe & Company are making off of Ukraine...keep Russia attacking them, keeping the US sending money in aid and Joe & Company funnel money right into their pockets.

If you recall, Trump was questioning any US involvement with $$ Burisma Holdings based in Ukraine (Hunter had his hands dirty) and what did they do, they turned around and impeached him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay

That sentence disqualifies him
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:37:28 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

I'm just going to point out that if Ukraine truly is viewed as an integral part of Mother Russia, then it wouldn't be a buffer state at all.  Rather, it would just mean that Russia's own border moved further west, as would the border of any necessary buffer states.

Also, I suspect the British crown felt the same way about those colonies being theirs by blood as well.  Doesn't make our I dependence any less legitimate.

If Ukraine is the middle, Putin misses the brass ring... He does not get to absorb Ukraine.

What needs to happen for him to take the 'L' is a way to save face, and a lucrative reason to quit trying.
THAT may be more difficult in the paperwork, but it's a pretty easy play, if someone has the backing to make word with him.

He does not want to go to his grave in infamy.

Offline roamer_1

And by the way, on this note. YES Britain had a sore butt for a long time. Not so much anymore. They have stood beside us in every action for a very long time.

Look more to the US and Canada. There is a border between us. Technically they are subject to the English Crown. They would proudly declare themselves Canadian and deny being American.

But culturally we are brothers. We are, generally speaking, the same thing. There is no one who understands Americans like Canadians.

They don't need to be from the states to get it.

A similar brotherhood could be fostered between Russia and Ukraine. It would take time. There are sore butts all around. And Tumpy would never think that way. He plays short. Always in the moment. But a long play is the guarantee, eventually. Tilling that ground and planting those seeds is what will bear fruit.

And what a legacy for Putin. He could actually be the one planting those seeds. And in the end, borders mean far less than brotherhood. That speaks to blood.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
A similar brotherhood could be fostered between Russia and Ukraine. It would take time. There are sore butts all around. And Tumpy would never think that way. He plays short. Always in the moment. But a long play is the guarantee, eventually. Tilling that ground and planting those seeds is what will bear fruit.

And what a legacy for Putin. He could actually be the one planting those seeds. And in the end, borders mean far less than brotherhood. That speaks to blood.

I think that was possible before this war.   But this war has rightly become Ukraine's defining historical event, and the open cruelty with which this was was prosecuted.  Now, it is and rightly should be generational hate between the two peoples.   That will be Putin's unavoidable legacy at this point.

Offline roamer_1

Think of all the money that Joe & Company are making off of Ukraine...keep Russia attacking them, keeping the US sending money in aid and Joe & Company funnel money right into their pockets.

If you recall, Trump was questioning any US involvement with $$ Burisma Holdings based in Ukraine (Hunter had his hands dirty) and what did they do, they turned around and impeached him.

Oh it's way deeper than Joe & Co. That's the head fake. The Romneys are in it over there up to their lips. Burisma is but the tip of the iceberg.

If that truly blows open over there, it will expose the elites across the board - across political parties and borders.

Offline roamer_1

I think that was possible before this war.   But this war has rightly become Ukraine's defining historical event, and the open cruelty with which this was was prosecuted.  Now, it is and rightly should be generational hate between the two peoples.   That will be Putin's unavoidable legacy at this point.

Perhaps. But Ukraine and Russia have been butting heads for a long, long time... with cruelty in the wind from both sides. Time can heal the wound. Or not.  And my prescription could easy fail too... But that's the good bet.

Offline kevindavis007

Perhaps. But Ukraine and Russia have been butting heads for a long, long time... with cruelty in the wind from both sides. Time can heal the wound. Or not.  And my prescription could easy fail too... But that's the good bet.

There is no way in heck that any self-respecting Ukranian is going to get along with the Russians going forward. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline roamer_1

There is no way in heck that any self-respecting Ukranian is going to get along with the Russians going forward.

Yeah. War is hard. But if you don't turn the corner, war will remain. That's just the truth of it. Blood avenging blood always leads to nowhere. Let's put it down and get some business going. That's what will heal. Prosperity. And sure there will be grieving... And hard words. but it has to end.

Or not.

Offline roamer_1

I miss the Gipper...

That was succinct. And quite apropos.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
That was succinct. And quite apropos.

Except the Gipper understood fiscal restraint.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online LMAO

Trump isn’t simply stating here that he thinks NATO countries should help pay a little more for their defense

He’s said he would even encourage Russia to do whatever they wanted until a member nation pays some undefined amount

That is an extraordinarily irresponsible statement coming from a presidential candidate. And that puts to bed any doubt that  he has a soft spot for Putin

He’s dangerous
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:38:19 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

We are going to hear a lot of impulsive ADHD, Tourette’s syndrome type outburst from both candidates this election season

Trump is  at a disadvantage because Biden has more money to attack him over it and Biden also has a sympathetic press in his back pocket

Barry Goldwater

Online libertybele

I just can't fathom that Trump is this stupid.  He'll end up in prison if he doesn't win, so he'd better reign it in.

@sneakypete What say you about Trump's comments?

I think Trump believes that he is invincible...yes, he needs to keep things in check.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Media Is Lying About Trump’s NATO Comments
Matt Margolis

In light of the terrible week that Joe Biden had, it was inevitable that the media would try to drum up some fake controversy about Donald Trump.

In fact, they happily obliged by grossly distorting comments Trump made during a campaign speech in Conway, South Carolina, on Saturday.

"Former President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell they want' to any NATO member country that doesn’t meet spending guidelines on defense in a stunning admission he would not abide by the collective-defense clause at the heart of the alliance if reelected,” reported CNN.

"Former President Donald Trump said Saturday that he wouldn't protect a NATO nation that didn't contribute enough defense funds and, instead, he'd ‘encourage’ Russia 'to do whatever the hell they want,’” echoed ABC News.

Both these characterizations are false. Since when has the media covered Trump accurately?

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg even chimed in following the media reports. “Any suggestion that allies will not defend each other undermines all of our security, including that of the U.S., and puts American and European soldiers at increased risk,” he said.

But what did Trump actually say?

Before making the comments about NATO, Trump was discussing the substantial financial commitment the United States had made to Ukraine, surpassing $200 billion, and the disparity between the U.S. contribution and that of European nations, which collectively stands at $25 billion. He said wasn't fair because the war in Ukraine affects them more directly, and the economy of the United States is roughly equivalent to the size of the collective economy of the European nations.

"I did the same thing with NATO. I got them to pay up. NATO was busted until I came along. I said, 'Everybody's gonna pay.' They said, 'What if we don't pay, are you still going to protect us?' I said, 'Absolutely not.' They couldn't believe the answer. And everybody—you never saw a more money pour in."

Trump continued by telling a story about why the leaders of NATO countries that owed money finally started contributing again.

"I came in, I made a speech, and they said you got to pay up. They asked me that question. One of the presidents of a big country stood up said, 'Well, sir, if we don't pay and we're attacked by Russia, will you protect us?' I said 'you didn't pay your delinquent?' He said, 'Yes, let's say that happened.' 'No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay; you got to pay your bills.' And the money came flowing in."

more
https://pjmedia.com/matt-margolis/2024/02/11/the-media-is-lying-about-trumps-nato-comments-n4926349
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline BellyAche

I think that the issue is that Mr. Trump has never been very succinct with his answers and story telling. Foes can easily read into what he says and extrapolate what they want for negative reporting. In the end he does not help himself and for that matter does tend to say dumb things. (E.G. The Haley husband silliness.) 
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Online LMAO

The Media Is Lying About Trump’s NATO Comments
Matt Margolis

In light of the terrible week that Joe Biden had, it was inevitable that the media would try to drum up some fake controversy about Donald Trump.

In fact, they happily obliged by grossly distorting comments Trump made during a campaign speech in Conway, South Carolina, on Saturday.

"Former President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell they want' to any NATO member country that doesn’t meet spending guidelines on defense in a stunning admission he would not abide by the collective-defense clause at the heart of the alliance if reelected,” reported CNN.

"Former President Donald Trump said Saturday that he wouldn't protect a NATO nation that didn't contribute enough defense funds and, instead, he'd ‘encourage’ Russia 'to do whatever the hell they want,’” echoed ABC News.

Both these characterizations are false. Since when has the media covered Trump accurately?

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg even chimed in following the media reports. “Any suggestion that allies will not defend each other undermines all of our security, including that of the U.S., and puts American and European soldiers at increased risk,” he said.

But what did Trump actually say?

Before making the comments about NATO, Trump was discussing the substantial financial commitment the United States had made to Ukraine, surpassing $200 billion, and the disparity between the U.S. contribution and that of European nations, which collectively stands at $25 billion. He said wasn't fair because the war in Ukraine affects them more directly, and the economy of the United States is roughly equivalent to the size of the collective economy of the European nations.

"I did the same thing with NATO. I got them to pay up. NATO was busted until I came along. I said, 'Everybody's gonna pay.' They said, 'What if we don't pay, are you still going to protect us?' I said, 'Absolutely not.' They couldn't believe the answer. And everybody—you never saw a more money pour in."

Trump continued by telling a story about why the leaders of NATO countries that owed money finally started contributing again.

"I came in, I made a speech, and they said you got to pay up. They asked me that question. One of the presidents of a big country stood up said, 'Well, sir, if we don't pay and we're attacked by Russia, will you protect us?' I said 'you didn't pay your delinquent?' He said, 'Yes, let's say that happened.' 'No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay; you got to pay your bills.' And the money came flowing in."

more
https://pjmedia.com/matt-margolis/2024/02/11/the-media-is-lying-about-trumps-nato-comments-n4926349

And here comes the spin

Well, if Democrats can circle the wagon when Biden says dumb things I guess Trumpers are entitled to do the same

Barry Goldwater

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

And here comes the spin

Well, if Democrats can circle the wagon when Biden says dumb things I guess Trumpers are entitled to do the same

See if you can spot the difference.

The sky is blue because of the scattering of blue light by tiny air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, not because it reflects the colour of the seas and oceans.

The sky is blue because of the scattering of blue light by tiny air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, not because it reflects the colour of the seas and oceans.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline kevindavis007

The U.S. was the first and only NATO member to activate Article 5, the collective defense clause, after the 9/11 attacks. That day, U.S. fighter jets had no weapons for a drill. Canada helped by sending its armed fighters to guard the airspace over New England. Trump has no clue about NATO and its importance for our security and freedom. He should stop spewing nonsense and go pound sand.

Offline kevindavis007

And here comes the spin

I'm pretty sure a lot of Trumpers would believe this spin.

Online LMAO

I'm pretty sure a lot of Trumpers would believe this spin.

Of course they will

The question is, will the public buy the spin? He is pretty clear in his statement.

Barry Goldwater