Author Topic: What's the Deal With the Border Protection Bill ?  (Read 19776 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying

Offline libertybele

Re: What's the Deal With the Border Protection Bill ?
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2024, 10:47:27 pm »
Good luck.

Well, if we could get more conservatives seated and on board; governors, senators, representatives, BP, voters, etc., it would soon be a reality. It's hitting close to home in some DEM areas and they are starting to wake up; a little late to the game.

There are too many people making a boat load of $$ off of this ILLEGAL invasion.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2024, 11:03:31 pm »
Well, if we could get more conservatives seated and on board; governors, senators, representatives, BP, voters, etc., it would soon be a reality. It's hitting close to home in some DEM areas and they are starting to wake up; a little late to the game.

There are too many people making a boat load of $$ off of this ILLEGAL invasion.

Seems to be my point in this thread. 

We can't do anything right and why would you expect to see more "conservatives" in play.

Arizona handed two senate seats to the democrats.

One of them defected and we are bend on returning it to them.

Our best bet is an individual who got booed off the stage at the state convention because of her shenanigans (all the while claiming God is on her side).

Seems like this law would have been a good start for those people had they ever showed up. 

Hope they do, but I am not holding my breath.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2024, 11:18:01 pm »
You asked the question; "I am particularly troubled by statements by people like Rand Paul who said it was done "in secret" and hidden from view.  Does that really happen in the senate or house where a bill is hidden from other house members"?

Yes, indeed it does.  Read Ted Cruz's book "A Time For Truth".  It sheds some light as to what goes on.

You may want to watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDEH0lQaPI
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:20:20 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2024, 11:36:40 pm »
You asked the question; "I am particularly troubled by statements by people like Rand Paul who said it was done "in secret" and hidden from view.  Does that really happen in the senate or house where a bill is hidden from other house members"?

Yes, indeed it does.  Read Ted Cruz's book "A Time For Truth".  It sheds some light as to what goes on.

Mucho truth contained in that! Thanks @libertybele
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2024, 11:37:40 pm »

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2024, 02:55:31 am »
Mucho truth contained in that! Thanks @libertybele

Thank you for the video and the book recommendation.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2024, 11:03:08 am »
I really think you aren't that naive.  Think about it:

1. You are basically legalizing illegal immigration.  Good luck with any tangible future enforcement to deal with it.  You have no idea how precedent setting this is.
2. 5000?  You really think that number sticks?  Are there going to tickers to keep an accurate count, considreing there are probably 2 dozen hard road points fo entry between U.S, and Mexico.  And how are you going to count those taking the rural route?
3. On the 5000 number again....   Watch that number creep up based on dimocratic pressures.  By then this will already be regrettable legislation
4. Documentation?  Are these 5000/per day going to be given cards or ID's.  How will you try to prevent fraudluent counterfeting of ID's or what ever will be used.  Usually dims don't think things through.  Sadly the GOP has caught the same disease.
5 How about the mad rushes everyday to get one of those 5000 passes?  Does your idea cover the army that will be needed for crowd control?
6. You realize that if there is specific congressional legislation, that it will make it that much harder for DJT to correct this via EO if he wins in November?

Again...think this through, before endorsing this madness..
It's like passing a law telling people that they won't be arrested if they steal less than $1000 worth of stuff at a time.
They will still strip the shelves, it will only take a few more trips to do it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2024, 08:17:32 pm »
It's like passing a law telling people that they won't be arrested if they steal less than $1000 worth of stuff at a time.
They will still strip the shelves, it will only take a few more trips to do it.

O.K.

You and others decided to pick on the law.  While I don't agree with your cock and bull (above), I am no longer discussing it.  I said this earlier.

This thread was started about the very very very stupid senate GOP.

Any comments on that subject are worth responding to.

No more of the boogieman tripe.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2024, 09:18:48 pm »
O.K.

You and others decided to pick on the law.  While I don't agree with your cock and bull (above), I am no longer discussing it.  I said this earlier.

This thread was started about the very very very stupid senate GOP.

Any comments on that subject are worth responding to.

No more of the boogieman tripe.

Seriously, are you trolling TBR?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2024, 09:49:10 pm »
It's to bad that Graham didn't stick to this line of thought when voting against it. 

It woulc have come across much better. 

Why did they let the bill come forward if they didn't get this ?

The GOP senate......the gift that keeps on giving....to the left.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4449336-graham-warns-senate-border-deal-will-die-without-amendments/

“Now that the Senate’s national security supplemental text has been released, I look forward to the amendment process to try to improve the bill,” Graham said in a statement. “Something this significant cannot be rushed and jammed through. It should be subject to a robust debate and amendment process in the Senate.”

Graham warned that if Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) fails to allow an open amendment process, “then the bill will die because of process.”

Graham declared “I am open-minded on steps we can take to make the bill stronger,” adding “that can only come through the amendment process.”

Instead of berating Sinema, he should have simply repeated this.  I had not read this before, but it appears they had the bill and he was predicting it's demise.

Wonder if the GOP senate understood they were potentially being set up. 

Because they got nailed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:53:30 pm by HikerGuy83 »

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2024, 09:52:12 pm »
GOP senate had  four months to make it's wants known.

What happened ?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2024, 09:53:36 pm »

What happened ?

The election year.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2024, 09:56:00 pm »
O.K.

@HikerGuy83

YOU started a thread on changing the law.  Except now you don't want to discuss the law?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2024, 09:59:54 pm »

What happened ?

Here's what happened.  Way back in 1787, the first thirteen States got together and drafted a Constitution which put the Executive Branch in charge of enforcing the law.  At the same time, they assigned the Senate to the Legislative branch, not the Executive branch.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2024, 10:09:58 pm »
The election year.

Why would the GOP pretend to even be interested in this when it was going to tank ?

Graham seems to have been looking to the amendmend process to "make it better". 

The GOP wanted this tied to funding for Ukraine and Israel.  Then they shoot it down.  Now that funding is being undertaken independent of the border (fron what I can tell).

This whole thread is about how the senate comes off looking stupid.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2024, 10:14:30 pm »
The election year.

Problem is our democratic enemies are all lock step in their obedience with their leadership

The GOP has become the proverbial circular firing squad.  And most of that  turtle induced.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2024, 10:15:07 pm »
@HikerGuy83

YOU started a thread on changing the law.  Except now you don't want to discuss the law?

I started this thread about how the GOP in the senate insisted on something, didn't get it, so shot it down.  They were played and we (who can't even win in Georgia) are going to lose more seats in the senate. 

Yes, I don't want to discuss the law...anymore as nobody is disccussing anything....just prognosticating.

You might consider answering the question.

Why would our stupid senators:

1.  Insist on tying this to Ukraine/Israel funding ?
2.  Not insist on certain components up front, but cry about them when they didn't appear.
3.  Openly encourage the bill (are they stupid enough to think the democrats would give them anything to be happy over ?).
4.  Then walk into the ambush by shooting it down.
5.  Especially after DJT shoots off his mouth.....do they like looking like stooges and lapdogs ?

BETTER to have never insisted in the first place. 

By their own admission, they were doomed to fail.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2024, 10:17:11 pm »
Problem is our democratic enemies are all lock step in their obedience with their leadership

The GOP has become the proverbial circular firing squad.  And most of that  turtle induced.

Which was the point of the OP.

Except it appears the GOP senate is all to willing to lock it's lips on DJT's backside....in lockstep.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2024, 11:25:42 pm »
I started this thread about how the GOP in the senate insisted on something, didn't get it, so shot it down.  They were played and we (who can't even win in Georgia) are going to lose more seats in the senate. 

Yes, I don't want to discuss the law...anymore as nobody is disccussing anything....just prognosticating.

Your lead post indicates that you would rather talk about your perception of the situation instead of the facts of the situation.  When one tries to introduce a premise with the word 'seems' (something liberals commonly do), it is clear they are offering that premise from an emotional standpoint than from a factual one.  Also, the word 'we' is undefined.  Not sure who the 'we' is that wanted it, but it certainly wasn't anyone here that I know of, at least those who understood the substance of what was being presented and the one praising it (Chuck Schumer).

Anyway, as for Rand Paul's comment, that is 100% accurate.  For the last fifteen years or so, Congress has shown a propensity for introducing massive bills on the House or Senate floor that very few people have read, but then forcing a vote on it.  That rang true for this bill as well.  No, your Senators do not represent your State.  They represent those who protect their jobs and their perks.

As for Trump, he came out in opposition only after House Speaker Johnson voiced his disproval over it, calling it "dead on arrival" (which btw was 13 days BEFORE you started this thread).  So no, Senators aren't following Trump.  It is Trump who is following Conservatives (for a change).

So to be clear, when you say things like "Seems we can't do enough to shoot our selves in the foot, arse, and head.", it comes across to many here that your position is that the GOP should have voted in favor of it, thus giving Chuck Schumer everything he wanted, with Republicans getting nothing.

Why would our stupid senators:

1.  Insist on tying this to Ukraine/Israel funding ?
2.  Not insist on certain components up front, but cry about them when they didn't appear.
3.  Openly encourage the bill (are they stupid enough to think the democrats would give them anything to be happy over ?).
4.  Then walk into the ambush by shooting it down.
5.  Especially after DJT shoots off his mouth.....do they like looking like stooges and lapdogs ?

BETTER to have never insisted in the first place. 

By their own admission, they were doomed to fail.

1.  Republicans aren't tying "this" to Ukraine/Israel funding.  They are tying 'Securing the Border' to Ukraine/Israel funding.  Big difference.  Because there is NOTHING in this bill that secures the border.  Nothing.  But then you knew that already.

2.  Not sure what components you are talking about here.  But it is pretty clear from a bill that Chuck Schumer wrote that no such components would be offered.

3.  Who (besides Democrats) encouraged the bill?  Schumer is the one out there saying our sons and daughters are going to be heading to the battle field to fight Russia if this Border bill isn't passed.

4.  That makes no sense.  There was no ambush.  Democrats put forth a vote.  Republicans killed it on a failed cloture vote.  And the Democrat media reports it kind of the same way you reported it in the lead post.  Happens all the time.

5.  Check your timeline.  Trump voiced his opposition to this bill long before it got anywhere near the Senate floor.

Now, one question back to you.   Can you give us the link where you posted this same "seems . . . seems . . . seems . . . Trump bad" post on DU?  I will get a kick out of reading the responses.  Thanks in advance.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:57 am »

1.  Republicans aren't tying "this" to Ukraine/Israel funding.  They are tying 'Securing the Border' to Ukraine/Israel funding.  Big difference.  Because there is NOTHING in this bill that secures the border.  Nothing.  But then you knew that already.

No difference. 

Not that it matters.  We'll fund Ukraine/Isreal and illegals will continue to pour across our borders.  Disheartened Border Patrol agents (some of who I know personally) don't see that Dems or GOP are interested in securing our borders.

And the bill does things that move in the right direction.  Sell that crap to somebody else.

But in the end, McConnell encouraged, so did Graham .  It now appears that Graham was counting on the amendment process.  Which he didn't get. 

What does the GOP get from all of this....to look more stupid.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2024, 12:09:59 am »
So to be clear, when you say things like "Seems we can't do enough to shoot our selves in the foot, arse, and head.", it comes across to many here that your position is that the GOP should have voted in favor of it, thus giving Chuck Schumer everything he wanted, with Republicans getting nothing.

The two are separate and that is clear.

My OP says nothing about they should have voted.  It says that the GOP looked and looks stupid through the whole affair.

As people ignored the OP and started in the bill I did say that there were plenty of things that were useful in the bill and all I saw was boogeymanphobia.

I don't agree with your assertion about what is in the bill, and as I said, I am done discussing that.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2024, 12:15:48 am »
BTW: Speaker Johnson is turning out to be a bigger moron than McCarthy. 

He was never really interested in the bill (or any bill for that matter that wasn't "perfect" (which everyone knows will NEVER happen), so I wonder why the GOP even bothered on the senate side to engage.  Once again, I have to question if looking very stupid is one of the GOP congressional goals.  If it is, they are achieving it.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2024, 12:18:04 am »
Now, one question back to you.   Can you give us the link where you posted this same "seems . . . seems . . . seems . . . Trump bad" post on DU?  I will get a kick out of reading the responses.  Thanks in advance.

What is DU ? 

Seems seems seems you, like others are good with 100% of nothing (excpet maybe losing more seats).  Well, you got it.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2024, 12:19:11 am »
Maybe we could just redeploy the Border Patrol to China where they'd get more support than they do here.