Author Topic: Forced to buy Chinese against my will  (Read 8069 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Forced to buy Chinese against my will
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2024, 07:24:04 pm »
My compliments to you. Top notch

BIG DITTOS  :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2024, 07:26:09 pm »
Free markets and open trade needs to be defended vigorously and proudly

That's the truth. Knock out the stops and let er rip!  happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2024, 07:27:58 pm »
Freedom of our oil industry, world oil is only to prosper our enemies, nit for America/AMERICANS.  Same with jobs, and money, only for China India Russia, NOT for Americans, now living on the streets, aND MORE AND MORE SO EVERYDAY.

You're not protecting jobs. You're protecting welfare.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2024, 08:48:59 pm »
I SHALL approve the tariff bill. This legislation has now been under almost continuous consideration by Congress for nearly 15 months. It was undertaken as the result of pledges given by the Republican Party at Kansas City. Its declarations embraced these obligations:

"The Republican Party believes that the home market built up under the protective policy belongs to the American farmer, and it pledges its support of legislation which will give this market to him to the full extent of his ability to supply it ... .

"There are certain industries which cannot now successfully compete with foreign producers because of lower foreign wages and a lower cost of living abroad, and we pledge the next Republican Congress to an examination and where necessary a revision of these schedules to the end that the American labor in these industries may again command the home market, may maintain its standard of living, and may count upon steady employment in its accustomed field."

Herbert Hoover June 16, 1930

Trump is much closer to the mindset of Herbert Hoover and FDR  than  Calvin Coolidge
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 08:52:06 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2024, 09:08:55 pm »
That's because American businesses suck.  Back in the 70's, the Big Four US car companies were making crappy cars.   

@Hoodat

I bought my 4 cylinder 93 (I THINK) Ford Ranger pu for $400. It had around 200,000 miles on it,and I  drove it for  about 2 years before the engine took a dump.

Sadly,it is cheaper to buy a more modern used one than it is to buy a rebuilt engine and pay someone to do the swap even if I buy the engine and get it delivered to them.

And I am STILL thinking about doing that at least once a month.

I just like vehicles you can leave parked in a parking lot with  the doors unlocked,and there is still nobody interested in stealing it.

Back when I was still able to work on cars,I either drove cars that were given to me because there was something wrong with  them and the owner wanted it out of his back yard,or that I could buy for 200-300 bucks. Got a lot of miles out of those clunkers.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2024, 09:19:57 pm »
It is our own stagnation, laziness, and government interference that is the problem.

:amen: Particularly in the area of tax policy.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2024, 09:26:12 pm »
:amen: Particularly in the area of tax policy.

What tax policy would you favor over our current one?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2024, 09:35:12 pm »
What tax policy would you favor over our current one?

A point of retail sale only sales tax on NEW goods and services replacing the current income tax code in its entirety along with the SS and Medicare payroll taxes.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2024, 05:34:54 am »
If you remove all the emotion and politics from it, then 100% free trade will have the most positive economic impact over any other policy regardless of what other countries do.

"But it's not fair that China is dumping steel at below cost . . ."

So what?  Overall, our nation benefits more purchasing steel at lower cost no matter where it comes from.

Never ran any Chinese tubulars in the hole, did you?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2024, 06:46:01 am »

No, but I been finding ball bearings in US steel for 20 years... Slag makin, crap. So six of one, I reckon.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2024, 07:27:07 am »

I don't think quality should be sacrificed.  I am not advocating the purchase of inferior goods.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2024, 11:14:28 am »
I don't think quality should be sacrificed.  I am not advocating the purchase of inferior goods.
Problem is, cheap goods lead to higher demand, which often leads to poorer QC. CHinese drill strings were first used because they were cheap. Some initial quality was ok, but seemed to decline quickly, and they were pretty much avoided after some twist offs and premature retirements.

@roamer_1 Not advocating anyone use or tolerate crap. When I was fitting steel for Ingalls back in the '70s, I noticed the Japanese steel had a better finish and was in great shape despite being shipped half way around the world, while the beams from Sparrows Point had strips of scale and other crap rolled into the web and the ends were rough. It was far easier to fit up beams and purlins and columns from steel that did not require cleaning up (usually with a grinder) before you could do the layout. So, I get you. No excuse for what we produce in the US to be crap either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2024, 03:04:38 pm »

In my experience, I have found that specs must be very tightly written, or the purchasing people will screw you EVERY time.

I recall fishing out about 11K feet of Japanese (Satsuma) tubulars (just one well) that was in 9 pieces after less than 6 months downhole (15% SO2 and 7% CO2 in fluids produced). Many other wells were the same. We also wound up replacing every ball valve in the field due to incorrect elastomers in their innards. (Same spec writers and purchasing people.)

We did wind up with lots of scrap pipe to make truck bumpers, wheel stops, and various other things from.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:06:14 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2024, 03:59:52 pm »
When my son got his  orders for a sub home ported in Guam, I helped him bring home his 75 Vette along with other stuff. He had recently had a shop that people spoke highly of change out his 454 for a crate engine. Then he had mentioned that he felt a vibration. I looked it over and discovered that his orig engine was internally balanced and the motor they installed was externally balanced, and they didn't replace the flexplate and harmonic balancer. So I replaced the harmonic balancer and flexplate. On the flexplate, I wanted to use new bolts. I went to many an auto parts store and even speed shops and all of them only sold blister packed bolts from China. I ended up ordering USA bolts from McMaster-Carr.

I was putting gin poles in the bed of my 56 3/4 ton to get the engine out of the bus we slept in at deer camp. I foolishly went to Northern Tool for material. They had graded chain, but all of their Chinese chain shackles and hooks were not graded.

It didn't matter anyway. One should always believe China always lies on their metal grading.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2024, 04:04:24 pm »
One should always believe China always lies .  .  .

No argument there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2024, 04:14:18 pm »
This is why you should never get food or drugs from China... If there's a corner to be cut, they'll find it...

I also mean mainland China, not Taiwan.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2024, 04:23:42 pm »
This is why you should never get food or drugs from China... If there's a corner to be cut, they'll find it...

I also mean mainland China, not Taiwan.

The Chicoms are on to our noticing this too. That is why there are so many of their proxies operating under faux auspices.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2024, 05:52:48 pm »
Have we determined that the title of this thread is ridiculous hyperbole?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2024, 08:48:59 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I dunno comrade.

Maybe you could form a committee  to make that determination?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2024, 09:19:13 pm »

I thought that was a given.

I mean, I was tempted to ask how many toenails they had to pull before he clicked the "order" button, but I assumed we all knew it was hyperbole.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2024, 09:35:32 pm »
I thought that was a given.

I mean, I was tempted to ask how many toenails they had to pull before he clicked the "order" button, but I assumed we all knew it was hyperbole.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Damn shame I am not smart enough  to be like you  guys,and willing to spend hours and/or drive up to  100 miles to buy a common electric coffee peculator that wasn't made in China.

(SARCASM  WARNING!)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2024, 09:41:41 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Damn shame I am not smart enough  to be like you  guys,and willing to spend hours and/or drive up to  100 miles to buy a common electric coffee peculator that wasn't made in China.

(SARCASM  WARNING!)

C'mon Pete. I betcha I can find Chinesium all over your house... And your shop. The pooter you're tapping on right now was made in China, damn near guaranteed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2024, 10:04:27 pm »
C'mon Pete. I betcha I can find Chinesium all over your house... And your shop. The pooter you're tapping on right now was made in China, damn near guaranteed.

@roamer_1

And that means I am HAPPY about it?

It's a Dell,and I have no idea  where  it was made. I bought it as a used and re-conditioned laptop from Amazon 2-3 years ago  for 100 bucks and had it shipped to me with the seller paying the shipping.

Even if it WAS made in China,the Chinese did not get even as much as one thin dime from me for it's purchase.

BTW,I honestly don't know where it was made.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2024, 10:14:01 pm »
@roamer_1

And that means I am HAPPY about it?

It's a Dell,and I have no idea  where  it was made. I bought it as a used and re-conditioned laptop from Amazon 2-3 years ago  for 100 bucks and had it shipped to me with the seller paying the shipping.

Even if it WAS made in China,the Chinese did not get even as much as one thin dime from me for it's purchase.

BTW,I honestly don't know where it was made.

Last I looked all laptops are made in four factories in China. All of em. Of course, it's been a while since I looked... But I betcha that's close to true. Phones are all Asian made. TVs. pretty much all small appliances. And what ain't made in China probably has Chinese components.

I get why you're barking, but that horse left the barn long ago, while you were sleeping on the porch.  happy77

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2024, 01:38:59 am »
American vehicle manufacturer were proudly demanding $130,000 for pick-up trucks in recent years.  Japanese and Chinese are offering pick-up trucks for $2,000, $5,000, and $10,000 recently, while American auto industry hires more and more foreigners to work in their plants, who often spend their money back home.  A woke utopian scenario much advanced by Joe Bidens utopian paradise.  Those that march their lock-step much ignore those consequences.
Here we are the supporters insist their hands are clean.  The wicked are so innocent nowadays.  Doncha know?
 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions