Author Topic: Forced to buy Chinese against my will  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Forced to buy Chinese against my will
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2024, 01:38:03 am »
Trump had American companies moving back to America, that had moved to China.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2024, 01:42:29 am »

The incentive was lower corporate taxes.  Yes, it worked.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2024, 02:35:47 am »

@libertybele

It worked for everybody because it put Americans to  work that needed the jobs,and they paid income taxes that helped pay some of the financial obligations we have.

Win/win for everybody!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2024, 03:35:27 am »
You DID notice the 'made in China' tag, right?

:whistle:

And no, it did not. Printing money worked. It always does, till the inflation caused by printing money begins to show. His tariffs caused way more damage than his lowered corporate taxes helped.

And then he shut the whole damn thing OFF. He shut it OFF!  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2024, 03:36:40 am »
@libertybele

It worked for everybody because it put Americans to  work that needed the jobs,and they paid income taxes that helped pay some of the financial obligations we have.

Win/win for everybody!

Except it's mostly bullcrap.

Offline DB

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2024, 03:42:04 am »
Trump and crew substantially increased the cost of employing engineers and programmers who develop new products by forcing a 5 year depreciation rate of their payroll expenses.

Very destructive.

Online LMAO

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2024, 03:44:05 am »
https://www.cfr.org/blog/cost-trumps-trade-war-china-still-adding

While President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden differ starkly on many policy issues, they are remarkably similar on trade policy. Notably, President Biden has maintained tariffs on billions of dollars of Chinese imports dating to the Trump administration, all while maintaining a flawed process of granting tariff exclusions to select industries. Those tariffs, put in place when Trump invoked Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974, have not only failed to achieve their objectives, but have hurt U.S. businesses and consumers along the way. As part of its ongoing review of the Section 301 tariffs, the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) should listen to the overwhelming majority of comments calling for the end of this failed trade war.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2024, 01:47:32 pm »
The International Trade Commission recently rejected tariffs on tin. This is being hailed as a victory for people who buy canned chicken soup, but the steel mill near me is appealing the decision.

Read:
US trade panel rejects extra tariff on tinned steel from Türkiye
by Daily Sabah with Reuters
ISTANBUL Feb 07, 2024 - 3:34 pm GMT+3

The U.S. International Trade Assessment Commission (USITC) Tuesday rejected the request for additional customs duties on tinned steel imported from Türkiye and lifted the customs duties on tin mill steel used in food cans imported from four countries.

According to a Reuters report, the International Trade Commission, the authorized agency of the White House on trade matters, rejected the request submitted by U.S. organizations for additional customs duties on the said products.

The commission lifted the decision of the U.S. Department of Commerce to impose anti-dumping customs duties ranging from 2.69% to 6.88% on tin-plated steel imported from South Korea, Germany and Canada. In addition, for Chinese imports, it also revoked anti-dumping duties of 122.5% and anti-subsidy duties on tin mill imports.

The independent panel in a statement said it also voted to terminate the tin mill steel anti-dumping duty investigation for South Korea. ...

As for the appeal:
Weirton steelworkers plan appeal after ITC's 'shocking' ruling opposing tin tariffs
Story by Chloe Mesogitis
WTOV Steubenville

The impact of a decision by the U.S. International Trade Commission on Tuesday continues to reverberate through Weirton.

Some worry this could impact households, as Weirton is known for its deep roots with steel.

The ITC ruled against imposing a tariff on imported tin, but that has those at USW 2911 speaking out and planning to appeal the ruling. ...

USW 2911 President Mark Glyptis found that ruling to be quite disappointing.

"In fact, we're shocked,” he said. “There's not any doubt whatsoever that these countries were dumping their products into our marketplace."

Glyptis says it’s a tough blow because of the hard work they put into the case, as he headed to Washington to testify alongside Cleveland Cliffs CEO Lorenzo Goncalves.

And with a tin mill employing hundreds, this could serve as a threat to the Weirton community. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2024, 03:52:01 pm »
You DID notice the 'made in China' tag, right?

:whistle:

And no, it did not. Printing money worked. It always does, till the inflation caused by printing money begins to show. His tariffs caused way more damage than his lowered corporate taxes helped.

And then he shut the whole damn thing OFF. He shut it OFF!  *****rollingeyes*****

???  By cutting corporate taxes it incentivizes bringing manufacturing back to this country.  Trump also took a step further to try to force China into fair trade instead of free trade with tariffs. China's reaction wasn't pleasant., and it may have been one contributing factor to them releasing the viruses that they did, wanting to be the dominate currency in doing so?

Obviously, Trump wasn't the one that drafted NAFTA, that falls on the lap of H. Bush and Billy Bob who signed it into law. Trump re-negotiated NAFTA.  Again trying for fair trade v. free trade.

Again, and I know we've discussed this before, Trump initially closed travel from China. He initially closed up the country based on the recommendations of Fauci, BUT within a few weeks he then announced, that he was leaving it up to the states and it then became a state issue.  Each state was responsible for shutting down and opening back up.  That's on the states. Yes anyway you cut it, we are still suffering the ramifications of those shutdowns.

China is a dirty player; they always have been. I'm not certain, but, how many in Congress benefit from China? Fauci and Biden benefited from China's virus.

Remember when almost everything from Walmart used to be made in America? NAFTA was drafted, Sam died and his greedy kids changed all that.

NAFTA drafted by H. Bush and signed by Billy Bob has been IMO one of the worst things inflicted upon this country; in the end game it didn't help us; quite the opposite.

Also, remember back when they were trying to force the NAU -- that would have opened the door for everything made in Mexico -- cheap labor.  Look what's happening now -- IIRC -- our imports from Mexico have risen drastically within Biden's administration.

I understand your anger. I agree. What happened to made in America??? Corporate greed. Bush. Clinton.  I believe that was one of the things that Trump did try to rectify.  Only yes, you are correct ... he took steps backward and ran up our deficit when COVID hit.  Fauci and Biden at your service!

Now things are backasswards and they aren't going to let Trump near the WH again, he's out now for retribution and out for Trump.  He can't walk back his spending spree and other issues as well. He made poor decisions which are still costing us, and a stolen election has made things even worse.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2024, 04:00:37 pm »
If we had a decent tax system here instead of the Marxist mess we do, all of the trade issues would take care of themselves in short order.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2024, 04:52:31 pm »
???  By cutting corporate taxes it incentivizes bringing manufacturing back to this country.

There shouldn't be a corporate tax.  The way it is set up now, American companies making money overseas must keep that money overseas to avoid paying taxes.  If they decide to bring that money back to invest in the US, they get taxed heavily.  They shouldn't have to pay taxes on that money.

GM is making billions in China.  Yet our tax system encourages them to reinvest those profits in China instead of bringing them back to the US.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2024, 06:12:19 pm »
???  By cutting corporate taxes it incentivizes bringing manufacturing back to this country.  Trump also took a step further to try to force China into fair trade instead of free trade with tariffs. China's reaction wasn't pleasant., [...]

Look. This is the typical Republican hat trick. Dump a few printed Benjamins in the trailer park, drop corporate taxes, and ride the wave like a heroin junkie. And the wave WILL come. But if you'll notice, the 'good times' are getting shorter and shorter... Reagan did it, and the high lasted 20 years. Tumpy did it, and it lasted two.

That's the dollar getting ridiculously over-stretched. Don't get me wrong... It's a good thing, when you need a jump start. But you are going to pay for it in inflation. EVERY TIME. And the way you throttle the inflation is to cool off the market by raising interest rates and manage the resulting waves into an 'even' between boom and bust. But they never raise interest. They keep printing money. They keep chasing the fix. Because it feels so good.

and it may have been one contributing factor to them releasing the viruses that they did, wanting to be the dominate currency in doing so?

China got destroyed by COVID shut downs. China didn't want that. They're not the evil-doer. They're the bag-holder.

Obviously, Trump wasn't the one that drafted NAFTA, that falls on the lap of H. Bush and Billy Bob who signed it into law. Trump re-negotiated NAFTA.  Again trying for fair trade v. free trade.

He failed. UTTERLY.

Again, and I know we've discussed this before, Trump initially closed travel from China. He initially closed up the country based on the recommendations of Fauci, BUT within a few weeks he then announced, that he was leaving it up to the states and it then became a state issue.  Each state was responsible for shutting down and opening back up.  That's on the states. Yes anyway you cut it, we are still suffering the ramifications of those shutdowns.

None of that matters. I am in one of those 'free states'. We conveniently got rid of our Democrat governor and within a month, Gianforte threw out all the covid bullcrap.

Guess what. It didn't matter. Sure we were let up, which is great. BUT THE FRICKEN PORTS WERE SHUT OFF. Ports of entry closed. Canadian Border closed. ALL FEDERAL RESTRICTIONS, not state. All Tumpy.

And if you can't move goods, you're done. You can't get supplies. You can't get parts. Because they are all stuck off-shore waiting to come into the ports.

Add to that the factories which tend to be in blue states, that were still locked down, but they would not have been running anyway, because they can't get parts and supplies either. Because the ports. Because Tumpy.

Because Tumpy.
Tumpy did that. not the states.

China is a dirty player; they always have been. I'm not certain, but, how many in Congress benefit from China? Fauci and Biden benefited from China's virus.

EVERYBODY is a dirty player. Caveat Emptor. Wear a tin patch. And if it was 'China's virus' why did they take all the weight? Remember, those closed ports mean it was Asia's goods stuffed up the bottleneck. They didn't profit from it. They were destroyed.

Remember when almost everything from Walmart used to be made in America? NAFTA was drafted, Sam died and his greedy kids changed all that.

NAFTA drafted by H. Bush and signed by Billy Bob has been IMO one of the worst things inflicted upon this country; in the end game it didn't help us; quite the opposite.

I will disagree. Sounds like whining. The game is to do it faster, better, cheaper than the next guy. That's the game. Asia is kicking our ass. you want to get on top, do better. Compete.

Also, remember back when they were trying to force the NAU -- that would have opened the door for everything made in Mexico -- cheap labor.  Look what's happening now -- IIRC -- our imports from Mexico have risen drastically within Biden's administration.

That is the dollar stretching under inflation, not Mexico.

I understand your anger. I agree. What happened to made in America??? Corporate greed. Bush. Clinton.  I believe that was one of the things that Trump did try to rectify.  Only yes, you are correct ... he took steps backward and ran up our deficit when COVID hit.  Fauci and Biden at your service!

Now things are backasswards and they aren't going to let Trump near the WH again, he's out now for retribution and out for Trump.  He can't walk back his spending spree and other issues as well. He made poor decisions which are still costing us, and a stolen election has made things even worse.

Look. my anger comes more as a reaction to the 'murica' bumper-sticker bullshit.

I want America back. I do. I want Mayberry. My America was the BEST.

But that's why it was the best. because it did things right. I am not going to buy 'American Made' over everything else just because it has some little sticker on it. Bullshit.

I want to buy American made, and will even default to it, but only if she restores her excellence. Why would I care to buy American if it is the same crap I can get from China for a tenth of the cost?

When American companies stop 'planned obsolescence' and start their way back to excellence in product... when the government removes inventory taxes so that industry can ditch the disastrous JIT model...

THEN, when American business has earned it by MERIT, then my loyalty will return.

Tumpsters get all orgasmic from someone pissin in their pocket and telling em it's raining.
It's all bullshit. All of it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2024, 06:24:20 pm »
There shouldn't be a corporate tax.  The way it is set up now, American companies making money overseas must keep that money overseas to avoid paying taxes.  If they decide to bring that money back to invest in the US, they get taxed heavily.  They shouldn't have to pay taxes on that money.

GM is making billions in China.  Yet our tax system encourages them to reinvest those profits in China instead of bringing them back to the US.

The current corporate income tax is a subtraction method VAT. It puts every product or service produced here at a very steep price disadvantage internationally before it leaves the factory floor. It is the chief cause of all our trade troubles and should not exist.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 06:26:15 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2024, 06:26:28 pm »
Concerning ports @roamer_1

Supply-chain backlog at US ports not due to a Trump executive order on China

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/oct/25/instagram-posts/supply-chain-backlog-us-ports-not-due-trump-execut/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2024, 06:27:27 pm »
The current corporate income tax is a subtraction method VAT. It puts every product or service produced here at a very steep price disadvantage internationally before it leaves the factory floor. It is the chief cause of all our trade troubles and should not exist.

Hey. SOMEBODY's gotta pay for this multi-trillion dollar government somehow...  :whistle:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2024, 06:28:37 pm »
Concerning ports @roamer_1

Supply-chain backlog at US ports not due to a Trump executive order on China

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/oct/25/instagram-posts/supply-chain-backlog-us-ports-not-due-trump-execut/

Yeah, bullshit. Exponentially increased by covid lockdown.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2024, 06:30:18 pm »
The proof of the pudding is in the taste there of.  American businesses are closing for good, and an avalanche of major league fast food chains going woke-broke.  Quality of food dropping like a rock, tiny portions with skyrocketing prices are expected to go under this year as they went Woke aND as LIKE THE GOD bIDEN LEAD THE WAY THUS FAR, HE DEMANDS YOU CAN'T BLAME HIM AS SO DOES HIS MINDLESS STOOGES.
God says you hear your masters voice, the voice of Satan and his contempt for humanity and his planned destruction thereof.  A destruction that will swallow even his brain dead servants.  END TIMES
 :dumpster: :reaper: :media: :reaper: :dumpster:

ROAMER1:
Exponentially increased by covid lockdown.

That would be Bidens and Chinas collusion of the covid virus they exported and exported to the world, they lie like hell after they fought so damn hard to do so.  It might just have well been the black plague followed by vaccines that expanded the slaughter.  The wicked of this day have no shame, just continued butchery of mankind expanding far beyond abortions.
  :dumpster::reaper: :dumpster:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 06:37:48 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2024, 06:34:21 pm »
The proof of the pudding is in the taste there of.  American businesses are closing for good, and an avalanche of major league fast food chains going woke-broke.  Quality of food dropping like a rock, tiny portions with skyrocketing prices are expected to go under this year as they went Woke aND as LIKE THE GOD bIDEN LEAD THE WAY THUS FAR, HE DEMANDS YOU CAN'T BLAME HIM AS SO DOES HIS MINDLESS STOOGES.
God says you hear your masters voice, the voice of Satan and his contempt for humanity and his planned destruction thereof.  A destruction that will swallow even his brain dead servants.  END TIMES

NO. TUMPY lead the way. Bitem made it worse.

BOTH are complicit.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2024, 06:35:42 pm »
If you remove all the emotion and politics from it, then 100% free trade will have the most positive economic impact over any other policy regardless of what other countries do.

"But it's not fair that China is dumping steel at below cost . . ."

So what?  Overall, our nation benefits more purchasing steel at lower cost no matter where it comes from.

"But we'll drive Louisiana and Hawaiian sugar farmers out of business if we allow Caribbean imports . . ."

If those farmers can't compete, then they need to either grow something else or sell their land to someone who can earn a profit without screwing over US sugar consumers.

"But Japan kicks our asses in car production because of lower labor costs and better engineering.  It's not fair to UAW members that we allow so many Japanese cars to be imported . . ."

Each consumer knows what is best for him/herself.  One should not be limited by some asinine quota placed on other countries.

NAFTA was a good law.  It is our own stagnation, laziness, and government interference that is the problem.  I remember hearing a story my friend's dad told me back in the '80s.  He worked for a small firm in Houston that needed a special order of steel.  They only needed a ton of it.  They approached every single US steel company asking if they could fulfill the order.  Every one of them said that they would have to order at least 1,000 tons and the cost would be high.  So they reached outside of the US.  The very first steel company in Japan that they called said not only could they fill the order, but that they could do it for less than what the US firms were charging per ton.

You want economic prosperity?  Double-digit growth rates?  Innovation?  'Freedom' will do all of that.  But if you want more laziness, complacency, and monopolistic behavior, then put tariffs on the foreign goods coming into this country.  That way, instead of having to engage in capitalistic competitiveness, Big (fill in the blank) can rest on their laurels, charge more for what they sell, and look the other way when all that waste money settles into Democrat Party campaign chests.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2024, 06:41:39 pm »
Freedom of our oil industry, world oil is only to prosper our enemies, not for America/AMERICANS.  Same with jobs, and money, only for China India Russia Ukraine radical muslim nations, NOT for Americans, now living on the streets, aND MORE AND MORE SO EVERYDAY.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 06:24:42 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online LMAO

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2024, 06:42:27 pm »
If you remove all the emotion and politics from it, then 100% free trade will have the most positive economic impact over any other policy regardless of what other countries do.

So what?  Overall, our nation benefits more purchasing steel at lower cost no matter where it comes from.

"But we'll drive Louisiana and Hawaiian sugar farmers out of business if we allow Caribbean imports . . ."

If those farmers can't compete, then they need to either grow something else or sell their land to someone who can earn a profit without screwing over US sugar consumers.

"But Japan kicks our asses in car production because of lower labor costs and better engineering.  It's not fair to UAW members that we allow so many Japanese cars to be imported . . ."

Each consumer knows what is best for him/herself.  One should not be limited by some asinine quota placed on other countries.

NAFTA was a good law.  It is our own stagnation, laziness, and government interference that is the problem.  I remember hearing a story my friend's dad told me back in the '80s.  He worked for a small firm in Houston that needed a special order of steel.  They only needed a ton of it.  They approached every single US steel company asking if they could fulfill the order.  Every one of them said that they would have to order at least 1,000 tons and the cost would be high.  So they reached outside of the US.  The very first steel company in Japan that they called said not only could they fill the order, but that they could do it for less than what the US firms were charging per ton.

You want economic prosperity?  Double-digit growth rates?  Innovation?  'Freedom' will do all of that.  But if you want more laziness, complacency, and monopolistic behavior, then put tariffs on the foreign goods coming into this country.  That way, instead of having to engage in capitalistic competitiveness, Big (fill in the blank) can rest on their laurels, charge more for what they sell, and look the other way when all that waste money settles into Democrat Party campaign chests.

This is probably the best post that sums up not only the issue of trade and tariffs but economics in general

Nothing more needs to be said about this issue after this post

My compliments to you. Top notch

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2024, 06:44:14 pm »
The proof of the pudding is in the taste there of.  American businesses are closing for good

That's because American businesses suck.  Back in the 70's, the Big Four US car companies were making crappy cars.  Japan took notice and started putting out good quality fuel efficient cars.  Pretty soon, they were making a huge foothold in the US car market, reducing the Big Four to the Big Three.  So what did the US do?  They put quotas in place, limiting the number of cars that Japan could sell.  So Japan reassessed the situation.  If there is a limit on the number of cars they sell, then they would have to figure out a way to increase the markup.  The Japanese automakers shifted away from cheap sporty, and turn to luxury cars that had bigger markups.  Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti were born.  Japanese profits shot way up.  And today they dominate the market.

Oh, and here we are over 40 years later.  And the Big Three still make shitty cars.  Instead of beating Japan at its own game, they continue to go to politicians to put rules in place that allow them to do absolutely nothing to improve and still live another day.

Japan kicks our ass because they are better at making cars than we are.  Period.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2024, 07:18:51 pm »

:yowsa:

Reposted for emphasis.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2024, 07:22:31 pm »

Japan kicks our ass because they are better at making cars than we are.  Period.

That's right. Booshes 'too big to fail' bailout only kicked the can. GM is going to die. And Ford might too.

That thing I said upthread about RISK... In order for there to be risk, there must be FAIL.

American companies need to step it up. In the end that's the way you play the game.

Online LMAO

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2024, 07:23:02 pm »
:yowsa:

Reposted for emphasis.

It should be reposted several times over

Mr Friedman himself would have nothing more to add after @Hoodat post

But he is right. You have to remove all the emotional arguments when it comes to trade and economics.

Free markets and open trade needs to be defended vigorously and proudly
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 07:24:20 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater