Author Topic: Climate Deniers Pocketing $20 Undermines the Motivated Reasoning Hypothesis?  (Read 326 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Climate Deniers Pocketing $20 Undermines the Motivated Reasoning Hypothesis?
9 hours ago Eric Worrall 58 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t Dr. Willie Soon; A study from University of Bonn attempted to determine whether climate deniers are bending the facts to suit their narrative, or are simply misinformed.

01. February 2024

Why Are People Climate Change Deniers?

University of Bonn and IZA study reveals unexpected results

A surprisingly large number of people still downplay the impact of climate change or deny that it is primarily a product of human activity. …

Motivated reasoning helps us to justify our behavior. For instance, someone who flies off on holiday several times a year can give themselves the excuse that the plane would still be taking off without them, or that just one flight will not make any difference, …

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/02/05/climate-deniers-pocketing-20-undermines-the-motivated-reasoning-hypothesis/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hey! That twenty would get me lunch (in this area) at a pretty decent buffet.

Sure I'd keep it.
If they have enough money they are handing out twenties for 'research', well they can do without the one they give me.

I might even go through their line a couple of times so I could leave a better tip.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hey! That twenty would get me lunch (in this area) at a pretty decent buffet.

It would get you a much poorer lunch in Mejifornia and NY.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It would get you a much poorer lunch in Mejifornia and NY.
One more reason to live here!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis