Author Topic: Just a trillion here, and a trillion there  (Read 485 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Just a trillion here, and a trillion there
« on: February 05, 2024, 04:01:05 pm »
February 5, 2024
Just a trillion here, and a trillion there
By Nick Lopez

A million, a billion, a trillion… no big deal.  One can picture Dr. Evil from Austin Powers swapping out letters as Number 2 lets him know that he’s not demanding enough money.  It’s only an “m”, a “b”, or a “tr” right?  They’re only letters.

Except… they’re not.  The words used to describe numbers that large are quite deceptive.

In researching the origin of the words, I came to the conclusion that the people who coined the terms weren’t trying to facilitate financial deception.  I just don’t think that they thought that debt could ever be described using those terms… they probably thought that trillions would only ever be used to describe the number of stars in the sky.

Million, billion, and trillion weren’t originally like .99 cents or 9/10ths of a cent at the gas pump.  The latter were coined with the explicit purpose of financial deception.

However, modern economists and governments are definitely using the terms to hide the true volume of the debt being carried.  Swapping out m’s for b’s and tr’s like it’s not a big deal.

But it is a big deal.

Do you have any idea how big a number “trillion” is?  Or how long it might take to count from one to one trillion?

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/02/just_a_trillion_here_and_a_trillion_there.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Just a trillion here, and a trillion there
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 04:18:38 pm »
The real reason the Fed is under pressure to cut interest rates:

1.) Election year
2.) Cost of Servicing Federal Debt
3.) To Stop Fed Balace Sheet losses from declining bond values.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:33:59 pm »
And pretty soon interest paid is greater than receipts.

After that, do they think the world is going to continue to lend us money?
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 11:33:28 pm »
Vulcan wonders:
"And pretty soon interest paid is greater than receipts.
After that, do they think the world is going to continue to lend us money?"

If the DCommunists remain in power, they'll eventually do what the Bolsheviks did:
Just renounce all debt.
Declare the slate wiped clean, and start over.

And... I wouldn't be surprised if there are STILL entities willing to extend credit (particularly China). But this time, the "collateral" will be ... different.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 11:48:12 pm »
A thousand bucks. That, anyone can grok. It's ten crisp Benjamins fanned out in your hand. A thousand-thousand is getting pretty far beyond that native knowing for most folks.
A billion is incomprehensible.
A trillion is beyond knowing.

I watch people, even monetarily minded people, glaze over when speaking in real terms.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 11:55:06 pm »
A thousand bucks. That, anyone can grok. It's ten crisp Benjamins fanned out in your hand. A thousand-thousand is getting pretty far beyond that native knowing for most folks.
A billion is incomprehensible.
A trillion is beyond knowing.

I watch people, even monetarily minded people, glaze over when speaking in real terms.
@roamer_1
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 11:56:43 pm »
Every time the line is moved further out...a trillion, trillion, trillion. People get immune to hearing otherwise. They hear million or billion and think "Well that's not so bad". Not stopping to think how a million or billion can add up.

Online LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy