Author Topic: Is Civilization Unraveling? (Jeffrey Tucker)  (Read 453 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Is Civilization Unraveling? (Jeffrey Tucker)
« on: January 31, 2024, 03:07:01 pm »
https://www.theepochtimes.com/opinion/is-civilization-unraveling-5575887

Is Civilization Unraveling?

Two environmental activists from the collective dubbed "Riposte Alimentaire" (Food Retaliation) stand in front of Leonardo Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" (La Joconde) painting after hurling soup at the artwork, at the Louvre museum in Paris, on Jan. 28, 2024

By Jeffrey A. Tucker
Jan. 31, 2024

NOTE: when reading at The Epoch Times, either use "Reader Mode" or disable javascript in your browser using a free add-on or extension

Excerpts:
This weekend, some climate activists entered the Louvre Museum in Paris and splashed carrot soup on the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci. To be sure, if such a thing happened at the Whitney Museum in New York City, no one would have noticed the difference. But the Mona Lisa is the most revered painting in all Christendom (that’s a word you don’t hear anymore!).

The painting wasn’t damaged because it is behind bullet-proof glass. Still, there is something spooky about this event.

Sure, you can chalk it up to brain-damaged climate activists who were likely doped up on something, as most are. Part of the drugs they take is ideology as currently preached by the World Economic Forum, Harvard, and the University of Paris. These stupid kids are merely putting into practice what they are being taught.

And what are they being taught? Put aside all the convoluted language and intricate theorizing in giant treatises, it comes down to one message. Civilization is corrupt. Beauty is a lie. Freedom is exploitation. Rights are myths. All institutions that people regard as serving their needs are actually wrecking mother nature and poisoning all things. Therefore none of it has value. It all needs to go.

They are so convinced of this worldview that they think they are engaged in principled and effective activism by attempting to wreck the world’s most beloved painting. You could call it insanity but then you would have to say the same about large amounts of the consensus among the globe’s top elites in media, government, nonprofit foundations, and academia. This rot is dominant among them all.

How in the world did we get to this place? Years ago, I did a deep dive into the conservative doom literature of the times, which warned of the coming of fundamental attacks on the values of the West. I took them all seriously, but only intellectually seriously. I never truly believed that the threat would leak from academia into the real world, and finally affect our public and private lives.

And yet here we are. I had wildly underestimated the power of truly bad ideas. They don’t stay in the classroom. If the kids in these chairs, cheating their way through school and popping pills to do all-nighters, end up being hired by prestigious institutions in government and finance, they come to inhabit the commanding heights of the world’s most powerful institutions.

In my most naive period of thought during the rise of digital technology, I had convinced myself that all these threats were just noise. We would overcome them all through wild innovation and the unleashing of the creative energy of entrepreneurship in the digital space. In this case, old-time institutions like universities hardly matter. That’s the old world whereas we were building the new one.

This outlook blinded me to the rot underneath our feet. The new digital companies grew and were eventually captured by the enemy. The media played along. The administrative state which no one elected sunk its claws into everything and everybody. This is how a wicked worldview was eventually foisted on the world. It all seemed to happen while we slept.
[...]
The revolution against civilization takes many forms, some calm and seemingly scientific and others preposterous and directly destructive. They speak of the need to stop climate change but the real target is your standard of living, even your ability to stay warm in your home or travel distances. They speak of the need for “sustainable” agriculture but they are really going after traditional farming and ranching, even your ability to afford beef and pork. They talk of diversity, equity, and inclusion but it is really about targeting for exclusion an entire group of people who are resisting the great reset.

Elites sniff at this sort of talk, as if it is all too extreme and alarmist. They say we should just calm down and relax because everything is going to be fine. But what if they are wrong? What if there is no turning back from where the elites are taking us? I ask because there really is no turning back. One core pillar of civilized living—even the basics like freedom and human rights—are gone, there is no getting them back, not for generations long after we have passed from this earth.

Those are some big thoughts but these are emergency times. The attempted defacing of the Mona Lisa might seem like a cheap prank by some crazy kids but I fear it is symbolic of much more. How much more of this do we need to see before we realize that these are the times that could change the whole course of history? We either do something or watch it all unravel.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Is Civilization Unraveling? (Jeffrey Tucker)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 03:07:40 pm »
Take a good look at the pic above.

How should "civilization" properly respond to such behavior?

You wouldn't like my answer...

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 03:15:25 pm »
Feels like it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 08:44:04 pm »
Elites sniff at this sort of talk, as if it is all too extreme and alarmist. They say we should just calm down and relax because everything is going to be fine. But what if they are wrong?

That's a very worthwhile point.

My brother is I suppose what you would generally consider "GOPe".  He used to be more conservative, but has become more "don't rock the boat" over time.  When I point out how some ideas we both agree are ridiculous have caught on, his response is always "well, it's stupid and unsustainable, so it will eventually go away.  Things that are irrational will eventually collapse of their own weight, and then we'll move on."

Of course that's true, but it is his belief that the bad ideas will collapse quickly enough that they really won't do any lasting damage.  In other words, we can't count on the stupid ideas failing while the country is still viable, and it is entirely possible that those bad ideas will wreck the country.  Which means we either fight those ideas now, or we wait for them to take us all down.

I think a whole lot of the GOPe is like that.  They often are quite conservative, but they just don't think that fighting all the bad stuff is all that important because it will just go away on its own anyway.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:39 pm »
That's a very worthwhile point.

My brother is I suppose what you would generally consider "GOPe".  He used to be more conservative, but has become more "don't rock the boat" over time.  When I point out how some ideas we both agree are ridiculous have caught on, his response is always "well, it's stupid and unsustainable, so it will eventually go away.  Things that are irrational will eventually collapse of their own weight, and then we'll move on."

Of course that's true, but it is his belief that the bad ideas will collapse quickly enough that they really won't do any lasting damage.  In other words, we can't count on the stupid ideas failing while the country is still viable, and it is entirely possible that those bad ideas will wreck the country.  Which means we either fight those ideas now, or we wait for them to take us all down.

I think a whole lot of the GOPe is like that.  They often are quite conservative, but they just don't think that fighting all the bad stuff is all that important because it will just go away on its own anyway.

Really the tipping point is when the pendulum will complete its arc and start the swing the other way...
And that is happening.

DEI is dead-man-walking.
Nobody listens to MSM
Nobody believes government.
Players like these in the OP are getting more shrill and absurd.
And gen z is leaning conservative.

It could change on a dime. But that requires the people to be shown another way.
And that other way right now is Tumpy, which is not afar off from what they already know.
They need desperately for conservatism to be demonstrated... And I dare say in that case, that the pendulum will pick up speed.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 04:10:48 am »
When I point out how some ideas we both agree are ridiculous have caught on, his response is always "well, it's stupid and unsustainable, so it will eventually go away.  Things that are irrational will eventually collapse of their own weight, and then we'll move on."

Those stupid ideas WILL go away - AFTER they've killed several billion people!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 04:04:48 pm »
These stupid kids are merely putting into practice what they are being taught.

And what are they being taught? Put aside all the convoluted language and intricate theorizing in giant treatises, it comes down to one message. Civilization is corrupt. Beauty is a lie. Freedom is exploitation. Rights are myths. All institutions that people regard as serving their needs are actually wrecking mother nature and poisoning all things. Therefore none of it has value. It all needs to go.

They are so convinced of this worldview that they think they are engaged in principled and effective activism by attempting to wreck the world’s most beloved painting. You could call it insanity but then you would have to say the same about large amounts of the consensus among the globe’s top elites in media, government, nonprofit foundations, and academia. This rot is dominant among them all.

You and I know very well that these idiots
are a serious threat to the EXISTENCE of civilization.
Especially since their beliefs are held by the people who
have the wealth and power to control everything!

But if you ask them what THEY believe is the greatest threat to humanity,
they will tell you, "Christianity."
They truly believe that Christianity, if not eradicated,
will transform the whole planet into what is portrayed in "A Handmaid's Tale."
They completely believe that!

They overlook the fact that Islam actually DOES impose a version of that
everyplace where it is in power!
And they give Islam hundreds of billions of dollars!
Which they use to further empower their brutality!

The Catholic church also imposed something like that for several centuries.
But that has already been almost completely eradicated.
The American system got things set into balance -
good moral values without excessive domination.

But these "enlightened" idiots just want to DESTROY EVERYTHING!
Especially America!
It has never occurred to most of them to even ask,
"What will replace everything we're destroying?"
Their minds are completely filled with the blind rage
that is being taught in 99% of classrooms,
to just hate and destroy everything!

Some of them are deluded by empty promises, like, "Build back better."
But they have no idea what "better" is going to look like.
The reality of that is, "better" will be global totalitarian dictatorship,
with ALL the wealth in the hands of .00001% of the population,
while 90% of the population will be exterminated,
and the few who do survive will live in squalor, destitution, disease, and terror!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 05:05:57 pm »
It's time to bring back old fashioned Puritanical public shaming.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 06:38:54 pm »
Just drop em off 100 miles up in the bush. By the time they walk out, if they survive, their world view will have changed.

It's an ignorance of the natural world, fostered by city living.
These kids ain't got a single clue.