Author Topic: White House halts enormous natural gas projects in victory for environmentalists  (Read 1518 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House halts enormous natural gas projects in victory for environmentalists

'This isn't just bad policy, it's bad politics,' former FERC chairman tells Fox News Digital

By Thomas Catenacci Fox News
Published January 26, 2024 5:00am EST

The White House is halting the permitting process for several proposed liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminal projects over their potential impacts on climate change, an unprecedented move environmentalists have demanded in recent months.

In a joint announcement Friday morning, the White House and Department of Energy (DOE) said the pause would occur while federal officials conduct a rigorous environmental review assessing the projects' carbon emissions, which could take more than a year to complete. Climate activists have loudly taken aim at LNG export projects in recent weeks, arguing they will lead to a large uptick in emissions and worsen global warming.

"As our exports increase, we must review export applications using the most comprehensive up-to-date analysis of the economic, environmental and national security considerations," Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm told reporters on a press call. "This action includes a pause on pending applications for exports of U.S. natural gas as LNG to non-free trade agreement countries until the department can update the underlying analyses for authorizations."

"The U.S. is committed to affordable energy and economic opportunities for all Americans. We are committed to strengthening energy security here in the U.S. and with our allies," Granholm continued. "And we're committed to protecting Americans against climate change as we lead the world into a clean energy future."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-halts-enormous-natural-gas-projects-victory-environmentalists
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 White House official cites young, climate-focused voters as key Biden constituency after LNG announcement
by Zack Budryk - 01/26/24 2:28 PM ET

White House climate adviser Ali Zaidi outlined the scientific rationale behind the Biden administration’s pause on some liquefied natural gas (LNG) export approvals, but he acknowledged young and climate-focused voters as a key constituency when asked whether they influenced the decision to implement the pause.

At Friday’s White House press briefing, Zaidi was asked whether the decision was pitched at progressives and voters who identify climate change as a top concern, constituencies that were key to Biden’s 2020 victory but have expressed disappointment at administration policies on the war in Gaza and the approval of fossil-fuel development projects.

In response, Zaidi told reporters that “young people have been such a central part of the coalition that helped the president imagine this climate agenda,” adding that “young people know they’ve got in Joe Biden a partner, an ally and a leader who is willing to be forward-leaning[.]” Zaidi went on to cite Biden’s establishment of a Civilian Climate Corps, a top ask from both activists and climate-focused congressional Democrats like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), as well as the Inflation Reduction Act, the largest climate legislation in U.S. history.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4431868-white-house-official-cites-young-climate-focused-voters-key-biden-constiuency-natural-gas-pause/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
White House official cites young, climate-focused voters as key Biden constituency after LNG announcement
by Zack Budryk - 01/26/24 2:28 PM ET

White House climate adviser Ali Zaidi outlined the scientific rationale behind the Biden administration’s pause on some liquefied natural gas (LNG) export approvals, but he acknowledged young and climate-focused voters as a key constituency when asked whether they influenced the decision to implement the pause.

At Friday’s White House press briefing, Zaidi was asked whether the decision was pitched at progressives and voters who identify climate change as a top concern, constituencies that were key to Biden’s 2020 victory but have expressed disappointment at administration policies on the war in Gaza and the approval of fossil-fuel development projects.

In response, Zaidi told reporters that “young people have been such a central part of the coalition that helped the president imagine this climate agenda,” adding that “young people know they’ve got in Joe Biden a partner, an ally and a leader who is willing to be forward-leaning[.]” Zaidi went on to cite Biden’s establishment of a Civilian Climate Corps, a top ask from both activists and climate-focused congressional Democrats like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), as well as the Inflation Reduction Act, the largest climate legislation in U.S. history.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4431868-white-house-official-cites-young-climate-focused-voters-key-biden-constiuency-natural-gas-pause/

In the middle of this year's layoff frenzy this should make some grumpy people a whole lot grumpier.

Online mountaineer

Ron DeSantis:  We produce a huge amount of energy in this country, and it’s the cleanest in the world. Halting LNG exports will weaken America and strengthen our adversaries. Biden is weakening our nation!

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1750935931152953756
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Ron DeSantis:  We produce a huge amount of energy in this country, and it’s the cleanest in the world. Halting LNG exports will weaken America and strengthen our adversaries. Biden is weakening our nation!

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1750935931152953756

Why oh why did people not vote for him???  Other than the wrath of the Orange one smearing him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I AGREE with the biden regime -- but NOT for the same reasons.

That gas should NOT be "exported".
Rather, it needs to be shipped up to where it's needed in America -- New England in particular.

More supply = lower prices in the winter.
Isn't that the way the market is supposed to work?

Sorry if you don't like this post.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

So, America forfeits its attempt to balance out its trade deficit and decrease inflationary pressures.

Natural Gas producers need to export their gas because they can't build additional pipeline capacity to domestic consumers.

Massachusetts should be able to get gas from the Marcellus and Utica shale formations via pipeline, but, that's verbotten.  God blesses America with plentiful, inexpensive natural gas, and Biden is going to leave it in the ground.

https://www.usgs.gov/news/national-news-release/usgs-estimates-214-trillion-cubic-feet-natural-gas-appalachian-basin
USGS Estimates 214 trillion Cubic Feet of Natural Gas in Appalachian Basin Formations
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online mountaineer

Biden's revenge against Texas?
How Biden Administration’s liquified natural gas rule affects Texas
by: Julianna Russ   
Posted: Jan 26, 2024 / 02:20 PM MST   
Updated: Jan 26, 2024 / 02:42 PM MST   

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Biden administration decided Friday it would temporarily pause decisions on new liquified natural gas. or LNG, exports in the United States in connection with addressing climate change.

In a social media post, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the freeze of LNG exports threatened Texas.

“This reckless decision is a gut punch to the hard-working men and women in the energy industry. It also could cause some countries to rely upon dirty coal as opposed to cleaner burning natural gas,” Abbott said.  ...
https://www.ktsm.com/news/how-biden-administrations-liquified-natural-gas-rule-affects-texas/

Online mountaineer

The clown car administration listens to a TikTok "influencer," instead of people who actually know anything about natural gas, apparently.

Joni Job
@jj_talking
It's all about the votes, not what's good for US
White House met with Alex Haraus, 25, TikTok influencer from CO who demands that the administration kill the Calcasieu Pass 2 (CP2) Natural Gas Project  ...

https://twitter.com/jj_talking/status/1750924444695134710

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I AGREE with the biden regime -- but NOT for the same reasons.

That gas should NOT be "exported".
Rather, it needs to be shipped up to where it's needed in America -- New England in particular.

More supply = lower prices in the winter.
Isn't that the way the market is supposed to work?

Sorry if you don't like this post.
New York stopped that pipeline. So New England keeps using fuel oil, because it's more environmentally friendly, right?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

The clown car administration listens to a TikTok "influencer," instead of people who actually know anything about natural gas, apparently.

Joni Job
@jj_talking
White House met with Alex Haraus, 25, TikTok influencer from CO who demands that the administration kill the Calcasieu Pass 2 (CP2) Natural Gas Project  ...

At 25, even a great number of oil industry hands aren't ready to make national Energy Policy. That said, I'd bet they all have enough common sense to see that this is a mistake.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden's revenge against Texas?

Jesse Watters just said that,,he is punishing Texas
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

Joni Job
@jj_talking

Why wouldn’t this administration take the advice of a TikTok influencer?

Look at who the energy secretary is
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 02:56:28 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden Team Reportedly Took Step Toward Killing Natural Gas Project After Meeting With 25-Year-Old TikTok Influencer

NICK POPE
CONTRIBUTOR
January 25, 2024

The White House’s climate team reportedly made a crucial decision regarding a major natural gas project after meeting with a 25-year-old social media influencer, according to The New York Times.

Before deciding to delay approval of the Calcasieu Pass 2 (CP2), key climate advisers and decision-makers in the White House reportedly met with Alex Haraus, a 25-year-old TikTok influencer from Colorado who has organized an online campaign demanding that the administration kill the project, according to the NYT. The White House is expected to formally announce on Friday that it is delaying its review of CP2, a development which could be the administration’s first step toward killing the project and putting numerous other LNG terminal proposals in jeopardy as well.

Climate activists “absolutely will reward or punish him on this decision,” Haraus told the NYT, referencing President Joe Biden and the upcoming presidential election.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/25/biden-team-reportedly-met-25-year-old-tiktok-influencer-cp2/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

Let the little green snotnoses freeze in the dark.

Burn your furniture and textbooks, you warts.

Oh, wait, all your 'educational' material consists of Greta reruns and is in electronic form.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY SPENCER BROWN ON JAN 26, 2024. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Biden’s ‘Nonsensical’ Decision To Halt Natural Gas Projects Is Worse For The Environment

Following previously covered reports that President Biden, via his Department of Energy, was getting ready to pause approval for liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminals, the Biden administration pulled the trigger and made the delay official to “expand” reviews of such projects in a politically convenient move that prevents Biden having to make a decision that could anger young Democrat voters as faces re-election in November.

Now, the delay that could stretch on for as many as 15 months, is earning Biden a new round of criticism for what is only his most recent action that hurts American energy. [emphasis, links added]

“The Biden administration’s decision to halt American LNG export approvals is nonsensical,” observed American Exploration & Production Council (AXPC) CEO Anne Bradbury.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/bidens-nonsensical-decision-to-halt-natural-gas-projects-is-worse-for-the-environment/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden’s Natural Gas Shutdown Won’t Help The Environment, But It Will Make You Poor, Cold, & Miserable
By Marc Morano
January 26, 2024
7:05 pm
https://thefederalist.com/2024/01/26/bidens-natural-gas-shutdown-wont-help-the-environment-but-it-will-make-you-poor-cold-and-miserable/

BY EVITA DUFFY-ALFONSO

The Biden Administration announced Friday that it’s putting a stop to the permitting process for several liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminal projects in the name of climate change.

In a joint statement, “the White House and Department of Energy (DOE) said the pause would occur while federal officials conduct a rigorous environmental review assessing the projects’ carbon emissions, which could take more than a year to complete,” reported Fox News.

American Exploration & Production Council CEO Anne Bradbury described the decision as “nonsensical,” pointing out that “It simultaneously harms the U.S. economy, threatens the security of our allies around the world, and stymies global emissions reduction goals.” The move does indeed sound nonsensical if you believe climate fanatics actually care about the environment, which they do not.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/01/26/bidens-natural-gas-shutdown-wont-help-the-environment-but-it-will-make-you-poor-cold-miserable/
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No, Marc, it won't.

How could natural gas intended for export affect customers here, except to push prices upward?

STOP the exporting of our energy resources -- we're going to need them RIGHT HERE. If not now, someday in the future.

That natural gas should be flowing to communities that need it, in the northern areas and into New England where prices are highest.

NOT to Europe, or China, or wherever...

Online Smokin Joe

No, Marc, it won't.

How could natural gas intended for export affect customers here, except to push prices upward?

STOP the exporting of our energy resources -- we're going to need them RIGHT HERE. If not now, someday in the future.

That natural gas should be flowing to communities that need it, in the northern areas and into New England where prices are highest.

NOT to Europe, or China, or wherever...
Okay, let me 'splain this to you (and anyone else).

A significant portion of the Natural Gas Production is a by product of oil production. Methane is the dominant component of raw wellhead gas, but included in that mix in the wellhead gas are ethane, propane, isoButane, Normal Butanee, and a host of other, longer chain and more complex volatile aromatics. Those heavier gases are common chemical feedstocks or fuels.

When there is no place for that wellhead gas to go (as in the pipeline is full, storage is full, and the gas processing plants are at capacity), that gas gets flared.

But the Administration has come down with some strict flaring rules, and penalties for flaring excessive amounts of gas, along with a new batch of regulations about methane emissions. Ultimately, this will affect oil production, too, as that gas is a byproduct of oil production, and you can't just produce the oil and not the gas dissolved in it.

So, stopping up the end of the supply chain that exists as a foreign market for the most common component of wellhead gas puts a choke point in the line that will back up to the wellhead eventually. That is their ultimate goal, and will result in higher prices for everything from motor fuels to asphalt, plastics, and so much more. How long that ripple will take to get back to the wellhead is anyone's guess, but it will.

All the time they are trying to saddle us with electric cars that won't work in a large part of the lower 48.

As for New England, the State of New York declared a moratorium on pipelines which has made transshipment of a common heating fuel in the midwest only available by rail or truck.
Without a reliable supply of the fuel in bulk, Natural Gas will not become a dominant heating fuel in the New England states, not taking precedence over fuel oil and other sources of heat.
Permitting other pipelines that supply the southern Atlantic States has been beleagured every step of the way with permitting delays, as has the construction of pipelines transiting the Alleghenies and Appalachian.
You can want it there, but the New Yorkers make getting it there problematical. As for us, up north here in the Plains, we have plenty, we produce it in ND, (over 1 trillion cubic feet last year--about 2% of production).

According to the EIA, the United States used 32.31 trillion cubic feet of Natural Gas last year, but produced 34.57 trillion cubic feet. Either we flare the excess or sell it, and the European Market is wide open since the Nordstream II pipeline got hit, and the Baltic Connector pipeline. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:33:45 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Remember back when Natural Gas was the 'clean fuel of the future'?

Back before CO2 was declared a pollutant that was 'going to make the oceans boil'?

Well, the 'future' is here, and I really miss the good ol' days.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Even Democrats say Biden’s pause on LNG is like ‘throwing a match in a bale of hay’
By Salena Zito
January 31, 2024 5:39 pm
A robust chorus of congressional Democrats, business leaders, and Republicans, as well as international allies, are calling on President Joe Biden to undo the pause he placed on liquefied natural gas exports. Almost in unison, they say his decision actually undermines his climate agenda, jeopardizes national security, empowers Russia and Iran, and creates a schism with allies who depend on this clean energy from the U.S. to fuel their countries.

Longtime Ohio Democratic Rep. Tim Ryan, who retired last year, admitted in a post on X that the halt was “a major political issue that the D’s have just put themselves squarely on the wrong side” and would hurt his party’s ability to win seats in the Great Lakes Midwest.

He wasn’t the only Democrat complaining. Pennsylvania Sens. John Fetterman and Bob Casey Jr., the latter of whom is up for reelection this year, said in a joint statement to the Washington Examiner that as senators’ who represent the second largest natural gas-producing state, they were going to push Biden to undo his decision.  ...
Washington Examiner