Author Topic: Fatal drone attack similar to recent incidents in Iraq and Syria  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fatal drone attack similar to recent incidents in Iraq and Syria
By Meghann Myers
 Jan 29, 04:29 PM

Members of 5th Special Forces Group at Al-Tanf Garrison in southern Syria in 2017. (Army)
There was “nothing new” about the way in which an airborne drone attacked U.S. troops in Jordan on Sunday, killing three U.S. soldiers, a Pentagon spokeswoman told reporters on Monday.

But while the attack bore similarities to dozens of recent strikes against U.S. bases in the region since October, it remained unclear precisely why Sunday’s attack was successful when prior attacks were either shot down or landed away from populated areas of American bases.

U.S. Central Command is investigating exactly what happened, Sabrina Singh said, and she declined to confirm or deny media reports that the drone used in the attack was mistaken for a U.S. drone that had been airborne at the same time.

The Pentagon believes it’s possible that the more than 160 similar attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria in recent months also intended to kill, even if they previously had not.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/01/29/fatal-drone-attack-similar-to-recent-incidents-in-iraq-and-syria/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Fatal drone attack similar to recent incidents in Iraq and Syria
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 04:33:02 pm »
Just what has our military "leadership" done to counter the attacks, besides nothing.  Try to make transportation vehicles more fuel efficient? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

Re: Fatal drone attack similar to recent incidents in Iraq and Syria
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 05:29:08 pm »
But while the attack bore similarities to dozens of recent strikes against U.S. bases in the region since October, it remained unclear precisely why Sunday’s attack was successful when prior attacks were either shot down or landed away from populated areas of American bases.

Uh, no.  Other attacks have struck American bases.  They have been equally successful short of killing American service persons.  We were just lucky those other times.

If these are indeed drones, then they require constant radio frequency contact with their 'pilots'.  If we are unable to interdict these, then we are woefully lacking in this regard.  I suspect that our defense systems rely on some sort of 'friendly beacon' signal identifying our drones as off-limits to interdiction.  And that the Iranians discovered what that signal is after reverse engineering the drone they captured during Obama's term.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-