Author Topic: Ford-Class: Why This Might be the U.S. Navy's Last Aircraft Carrier  (Read 110 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Ford-Class: Why This Might be the U.S. Navy's Last Aircraft Carrier
Story by Harrison Kass • 2d

Summary: The Ford-class aircraft carrier is the U.S. Navy's newest, most advanced vessel, set to replace the aging Nimitz-class.

-While the Nimitz has served since 1975, technological advances and rising costs have slowed the introduction of new carrier classes.

-The Ford-class features significant advancements like electromagnetic catapults and advanced arrested landing systems.

-However, questions about the future viability of aircraft carriers in light of evolving anti-ship technology suggest the Ford-class might be the last of its kind if carriers become too vulnerable in contested environments.

Is the Ford-Class Aircraft Carrier the Last of Its Kind?
The Ford-class aircraft carrier is the U.S. Navy’s newest and most sophisticated vessel to date – and the first new class of carrier since the Nimitz class was first built in 1968. Ten Nimitz carriers are still in service but will be phased out as the Ford comes online.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-class-why-this-might-be-the-u-s-navy-s-last-aircraft-carrier/ar-BB1nhqs3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6d030b3f92754f999c3e6a41337272ac&ei=33
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Ford-Class: Why This Might be the U.S. Navy's Last Aircraft Carrier
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 04:06:32 pm »
Essex class carriers served for about 3 decades. USS Midway and subsequent CV classes as long or longer ... USS Enterprise and Nimitz class CVNs for 5 or 6 decades. Given carrier classes' longevity, speculating that a new class just entering service will be the last is not very meaningful.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Essex class carriers served for about 3 decades. USS Midway and subsequent CV classes as long or longer ... USS Enterprise and Nimitz class CVNs for 5 or 6 decades. Given carrier classes' longevity, speculating that a new class just entering service will be the last is not very meaningful.
All things the same, I might agree. However, since the Exocet proved the cruise missile, and with the development of and growing emphasis on antiship missiles (and drones) including hypersonic missiles, I think the playing field has changed. The question is one of what will allow a projection of power and yet be able to survive the battle space.

It isn't grandpa's naval battle any more, and at some point supercarriers will go the way of the dreadnaughts.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis