Author Topic: ‘Never Been Done Before’: A True Investigation of a Failed American War (Afghanistan)  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Never Been Done Before’: A True Investigation of a Failed American War
The Afghanistan War Commission’s probe is getting very real.

By NAHAL TOOSI

05/26/2024 07:00 AM EDT

Nahal Toosi is POLITICO’s senior foreign affairs correspondent. She has reported on war, genocide and political chaos in a career that has taken her around the world. Her reported column, Compass, delves into the decision-making of the global national security and foreign policy establishment — and the fallout that comes from it.

If you played a role in Afghanistan policy over the past few decades, be prepared for a call.

In their first joint interview since the launch of the Afghanistan War Commission, co-chairs and veteran Afghan policy thinkers Shamila Chaudhary and Colin Jackson discussed their move into an active new phase, including interviewing the diplomats, generals and politicians who shaped the war.

Their goal? To determine just what went wrong in the 20-year conflict.

“No one will look like an unblemished hero, and nobody will look like a complete scapegoat,” Jackson said. “But the key is to be unflinching.”

The commission was established with bipartisan congressional support after the chaotic U.S. withdrawal in August 2021, but it’s obvious the seeds of failure were planted long before that. Chaudhary and Jackson are now tasked with developing a major, multipart report on how such mistakes can be avoided in the future.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/05/26/afghanistan-war-commission-jackson-chaudhary-00159761
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Afghanistan war "failed" because we never fought (nor even identified) the true enemy there.

It wasn't the existing taliban government.
It wasn't the Afghan (or taliban) army.
It wasn't even anyone alive in the country.
Do YOU know "who" (or what) that enemy was?
And... is...?

Twenty years ago, I started posting a simple question.
I will ask it again:
Who's winning...?