Author Topic: Army’s Cannon, Propellant Updates Reflect Lessons Learned in Ukraine  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army’s Cannon, Propellant Updates Reflect Lessons Learned in Ukraine
1/24/2024
By Scott R. Gourley   

Combat operations in Ukraine over the last two years have highlighted the importance of modern field artillery systems.

From longer cannon tubes for increased range, to extreme long-range projectile accuracy, to restarting production of legacy subsystems, several industry efforts are focused on enhancing capabilities of field artillery systems for use in Ukraine and future possible conflicts.

Vendors at the 2023 Association of the United States Army’s annual conference highlighted a range of efforts to meet both current battlefield needs and projected future demands.

One sea change has happened at the Watervliet Arsenal in New York, which has been making cannon tubes for the Army since the late 1880s. Today, it represents the government’s central repository of metallurgy equipment and knowledge necessary to blast 100-pound explosive projectiles 18 miles and beyond.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/1/24/armys-cannon-propellant-updates-reflect-lessons-learned-in-ukraine
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Army’s Cannon, Propellant Updates Reflect Lessons Learned in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 01:42:07 pm »
They need to swear on the grave of George Patton the propellants are eco-friendly. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson