Author Topic: NC County Weighs Closing High School to Create ‘Newcomer School’ for Migrants  (Read 201 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NC County Weighs Closing High School to Create ‘Newcomer School’ for Migrants

The New Hanover County Schools announced the closure of the Career Readiness Academy at Mosely program, which provides a path for students to succeed in future careers apart from traditional schooling. The school will reportedly still have an operating pre-K program after the high school program is terminated.

In November 2023, the district’s Chief Academic Officer Dr. Patrice Faison told board members that district staff were weighing the possibility of opening a “newcomer school” for immigrants and non-English speakers to repurpose the existing facility.

Faison said that Mosely “would be an ideal facility to utilize for this Newcomers School,” and insisted that it would “eliminate a lot of the costs that we currently would need because the facility is already there.” WECT News 6 reported that the “newcomer school” would be an optional educational facility for those “new to the county and new to the English language.”

https://www.tpusa.com/live/nc-county-weighs-closing-high-school-to-create-newcomer-school-for-migrants
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson