Author Topic: Runoff Preview: Covey Squares off Against Speaker Phelan for House District 21  (Read 146 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Amelia McKenzie   | May 20, 2024

David Covey is running against incumbent State Rep. Dade Phelan to represent the southeast Texas district.

House District 21 is comprised of Jasper and Orange Counties, and part of Jefferson County. The district is currently represented by House Speaker Dade Phelan.

Phelan (R-Beaumont) will be facing David Covey in the primary runoff election on May 28.

Dade Phelan

Phelan has been in office as state representative since 2014 and was elected as house speaker in 2021. As speaker, Phelan doesn’t receive traditional ratings from legislative groups. However, his ratings from 2019—his last regular session before assuming the speakership—include a 60 from Texas Right to Life, a 49 from Texans for Fiscal Responsibility, and a 59 from Young Conservatives of Texas.

Phelan has recently been under fire for openly promoting Democrat power in the House and benefiting from the contributions of a Democrat official whom the Attorney General attempted to prosecute for campaign finance violations. In the past, Phelan has also been accused of refusing to push school choice.-----

David Covey

Covey is a conservative activist and former chairman of the Orange County Republican Party.

Covey has received endorsements from President Donald Trump, Attorney General Ken Paxton, and Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller.

Covey’s campaign has received over $400,000 from Texans United for a Conservative Majority PAC. He has also received contributions from Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. He currently has about $100,000 on hand.

The Issues

Over the past several weeks, Texas Scorecard questioned all state legislative runoff candidates on issues important to voters as they head to the polls.

Speaker Phelan did not respond to any of the inquiries.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/local/runoff-preview-covey-squares-off-against-speaker-phelan-for-house-district-21/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
At summer house, so am missing the fireworks.  How's it looking?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm curious, any thoughts on the District 23 runoff between Tony Gonzales and Brandon Herrera? Not that I am in Texas, but the results may affect those of us in the rest of America. I am hoping Herrera sends the RINO packing.