Author Topic: Runoff Preview: Covey Squares off Against Speaker Phelan for House District 21  (Read 998 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Amelia McKenzie   | May 20, 2024

David Covey is running against incumbent State Rep. Dade Phelan to represent the southeast Texas district.

House District 21 is comprised of Jasper and Orange Counties, and part of Jefferson County. The district is currently represented by House Speaker Dade Phelan.

Phelan (R-Beaumont) will be facing David Covey in the primary runoff election on May 28.

Dade Phelan

Phelan has been in office as state representative since 2014 and was elected as house speaker in 2021. As speaker, Phelan doesn’t receive traditional ratings from legislative groups. However, his ratings from 2019—his last regular session before assuming the speakership—include a 60 from Texas Right to Life, a 49 from Texans for Fiscal Responsibility, and a 59 from Young Conservatives of Texas.

Phelan has recently been under fire for openly promoting Democrat power in the House and benefiting from the contributions of a Democrat official whom the Attorney General attempted to prosecute for campaign finance violations. In the past, Phelan has also been accused of refusing to push school choice.-----

David Covey

Covey is a conservative activist and former chairman of the Orange County Republican Party.

Covey has received endorsements from President Donald Trump, Attorney General Ken Paxton, and Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller.

Covey’s campaign has received over $400,000 from Texans United for a Conservative Majority PAC. He has also received contributions from Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. He currently has about $100,000 on hand.

The Issues

Over the past several weeks, Texas Scorecard questioned all state legislative runoff candidates on issues important to voters as they head to the polls.

Speaker Phelan did not respond to any of the inquiries.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/local/runoff-preview-covey-squares-off-against-speaker-phelan-for-house-district-21/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
At summer house, so am missing the fireworks.  How's it looking?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm curious, any thoughts on the District 23 runoff between Tony Gonzales and Brandon Herrera? Not that I am in Texas, but the results may affect those of us in the rest of America. I am hoping Herrera sends the RINO packing.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Covey-Phalen.  Wonder if all that big Austin money they threw at Phalen will push him over the top?

I read most of that district was part of Charley Wilsons back in the day. 
He said this about the voters: “I represent the only district in America that doesn’t want anything. They want their guns. They want their low taxes. That’s it.”
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Covey-Phalen.  Wonder if all that big Austin money they threw at Phalen will push him over the top?

I read most of that district was part of Charley Wilsons back in the day. 
He said this about the voters: “I represent the only district in America that doesn’t want anything. They want their guns. They want their low taxes. That’s it.”

Pretty accurate, except Wilson's district was a tad north of Phelan's.  (Lufkin area)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Bad storms in SE Texas today.  Guessing it knocks out some turnout.  And that should be a plus for Covery. But still guessing this is going to be close, and that there is still some who believe Phelan's contention they could lose the Speakership gavel for the area.....   

Though, anyone with half a brain knows the odds of him getting it next session are pretty small. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Polls ae closed.  Haven't seen any reporting yet? 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dade Phelan      53%       10,614
David Covey      47%         9,248
Vote Total:                       19,862
Last Updated: 5/28/2024 8:48:09 PM

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/politics/elections/election-results-texas-house-speaker-dade-phelan-david-covey-house-district-21/287-d40a6ede-21ec-47f5-a843-4d548e7e91f0

Offline Wingnut

It's getting close.  9pm

TX REPRESENTATIVE DIST 21 GOP
Precincts: 67 / 84 (80% reporting)
DADE PHELAN (R)*

52%
DAVID COVEY (R)

48%

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Race has been called for the POS Phelan....   (50.7%-49.3%)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 03:40:57 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

366 democrat votes. But the good news is that ALL of his RINO buddies got their @$$ kicked.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 08:51:30 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
366 democrat votes. But the good news is that ALL of his RINO buddies got their @$$ kicked.

And the naive who bought off that Phelan losing would result in Beaumont/Orange losing the Speakership after Phelan using that as a campaign point   

Can't wait till I rub that in their faces, ...  and I know a few.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dade Phelan Escapes Defeat While Allies Fall

https://texasscorecard.com/state/dade-phelan-escapes-defeat-while-allies-fall/

Phelan’s narrow victory over former Orange County GOP Chair David Covey marks an improbable feat, becoming the only speaker to survive a runoff election in Texas.

While Phelan fended off his challenge, the situation was far different in other districts. Incumbent State Reps. Lynn Stucky, Justin Holland, Frederick Frazier, Stephanie Klick, DeWayne Burns, and John Kuempel were all defeated.

Phelan only won the seat with the help of Democrats. In the March primary, nine percent of voters in the race had a Democrat voting history. The Texas GOP moved to close their primaries to Democrat voters at their convention last week.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Dade Phelan Escapes Defeat While Allies Fall

Phelan's sticking issue was that he'd remain Speaker.  I called his office recently, and asked if they would go on record that he would resign if he wasn't elected to the gavel.  They hung up on me.

Offline Wingnut

Looks like all that Democrat money put Phelan over the top.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Looks like all that Democrat money put Phelan over the top.

Exactly, but I want to see their faces, when a new Speaker is elected, that is not so cooperatve to their bullshit inclusion into leadership positions. Piss poor investment, if you ask me.

But for him look on the bright side....   He can get snookered on the floor instead of the pulpit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Exactly, but I want to see their faces, when a new Speaker is elected, that is not so cooperatve to their bullshit inclusion into leadership positions. Piss poor investment, if you ask me.

But for him look on the bright side....   He can get snookered on the floor instead of the pulpit.

Phelan will be just one of 150 votes in the Texas house next term. No power beyond that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Phelan will be just one of 150 votes in the Texas house next term. No power beyond that.

IMO, <150th.  He's political poison if he is ousted.  He'll be a pariah on the GOP side, and his dim buddies will now bolt from him like Antifa at a church service.

Offline Wingnut

IMO, <150th.  He's political poison if he is ousted.  He'll be a pariah on the GOP side, and his dim buddies will now bolt from him like Antifa at a church service.

He could switch parties.  Afterall he is a rat bastard.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I personally look for him to resign if he gets kicked out of the speaker's chair.

- J. R. R. Tolkien