Author Topic: Moore joins Democratic governors asking Biden, Congress for immigration aid to reverse years of ‘ina  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Maryland Matters Logo
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS IMMIGRATION
Moore joins Democratic governors asking Biden, Congress for immigration aid to reverse years of ‘inaction’
By Ariana Figueroa
January 23, 2024

Nine Democratic governors, including Maryland’s Wes Moore sent a letter to President Biden and congressional leaders Monday, requesting federal aid and urging changes to immigration law as their states take in an overwhelming number of asylum seekers.

“The sustained arrival of individuals seeking asylum and requiring shelter and assistance, due to lack of Congressional action on infrastructure and policies, can only be addressed with federal organizational support and funding to meet the public safety and humanitarian needs of our local communities,” the letter led by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul read.

The letter was also signed by Moore and Govs. Katie Hobbs of Arizona, Gavin Newsom of California, Jared Polis of Colorado, J.B. Pritzker of Illinois, Maura Healey of Massachusetts, Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico and Phil Murphy of New Jersey. It was first reported by The New York Times.

New York City has taken in 168,000 migrants in the past 18 months, according to Mayor Eric Adams (D).Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) has added to the strain in major Democratic-run cities by placing migrants on buses and planes to such cities, often without warning local officials.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2024/01/23/moore-joins-democratic-governors-asking-biden-congress-for-immigration-aid-to-reverse-years-of-inaction/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'm absolutely certain such pleas stir Biden's compassionate heart! :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson