Author Topic: US military academies focus on oaths and loyalty to Constitution as political divisions intensify  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

AP
US military academies focus on oaths and loyalty to Constitution as political divisions intensify
GARY FIELDS Associated Press Jan 20, 2024  0
Democracy Military Academies

GARY FIELDS Associated Press
WEST POINT, N.Y. — For 75 minutes, Maj. Joe Amoroso quizzed his students in SS202, American Politics, about civilian leadership of the military, the trust between the armed forces and the public, and how the military must not become a partisan tool.

Democracy Military Academies
Maj. Joe Amoroso instructs cadets during a class on American politics at the U.S. Military Academy on Nov. 29 in West Point, N.Y.

Peter K. Afriyie, Associated Press
There was one answer, he said, that would always be acceptable in his class filled with second-year students at the U.S. Military Academy. Hesitantly, one cadet offered a response: “The Constitution.”

“Yes,” Amoroso said emphatically.

His message to the students, known as yearlings, was simple: Their loyalty is “not about particular candidates. It’s not a particular person or personality that occupies these positions. It’s about the Constitution.”

The emphasis for the next generation of military officers that their loyalty must be focused on the nation’s democratic underpinnings rather than on any individual is a reflection of how the armed forces are being forced to deal with America's deep political polarization at a time when trust in traditional institutions is eroding.

https://madison.com/news/nation-world/government-politics/us-military-academies-oath-loyalty-to-constitution-political-divides/article_0dc151e8-3629-524f-9b7d-8b2607b629c6.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Loyalty is a two-way street or it is nothing at all.  Right now, the congress demonstrates very little loyalty to the military (like it's loyalty to American citizens) and then only when it is politically expedient. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson