Author Topic: DeSantis kills bill helping Trump day after endorsing former rival  (Read 4805 times)

Offline corbe

Re: DeSantis kills bill helping Trump day after endorsing former rival
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2024, 11:45:09 pm »
   I give him a B- for effort especially after Ronna cut him off, after he declared.
   He's got that Grifter $hit down real good.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2024, 12:03:50 am »
@roamer_1

Why would I,when I never made that claim?

Of course you have @sneakypete - that's the whole point of the OP., that a bill was defeated that would have made the state of Florida pay Tumpy's legal bills, and that's what you've been defending, while everyone else on this thread has been saying it's good it was defeated - that the People of Florida should not be liable for Tumpy's legal bills... That's been the argument all the way along.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2024, 10:41:40 pm »
The bill in Florida that's being discussed is not going anywhere,
so the entire question is kind of a dead issue.

I would like to talk about prosecutions in general.
If a defendant is low income,
a public defender is assigned to the case - at taxpayer expense.

If a defendant is not low income, they have to pay for their own defense.
And when the prosecution is done in malice,
even when the defendant is not guilty,
they have still been forced to pay a penalty for a crime they did not do.

The process is the punishment.

I've suspected for a long time that
some prosecutions are done as an extortion racket,
forcing innocent defendants to
hire the services of a proscutor's fellow lawyers.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2024, 05:47:27 am »
The bill in Florida that's being discussed is not going anywhere,
so the entire question is kind of a dead issue.

I would like to talk about prosecutions in general.
If a defendant is low income,
a public defender is assigned to the case - at taxpayer expense.

If a defendant is not low income, they have to pay for their own defense.
And when the prosecution is done in malice,
even when the defendant is not guilty,
they have still been forced to pay a penalty for a crime they did not do.

The process is the punishment.

I've suspected for a long time that
some prosecutions are done as an extortion racket,
forcing innocent defendants to
hire the services of a proscutor's fellow lawyers.

Except that a wealthy innocent defendant treated thusly, has whole realms of counter-suit opened up to them upon the unrighteous rendering of a guilty verdict. That's where your rending of garments falls far short.
Y'all act as though this is the first tie any of this happened.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2024, 03:34:37 pm »
If only we could have Grover Cleveland back in the White House:

On June 5, 1888, President Grover Cleveland vetoes a bill that would have given a pension to war widow Johanna Loewinger, whose husband died 14 years after being discharged from the army.

Mr. Loewinger served in the Civil War, enlisting on June 28, 1861. He was discharged a little less than a year later for what the army surgeon’s certificate called chronic diarrhea. He received his pension until his death in 1876. After his death, his widow, Johanna, applied for a widow’s pension, but was denied since her husband died from suicide by cutting his throat with a razor and not from any long-term disability caused by his military service. Johanna claimed her husband had suffered from insanity triggered by his military service and felt entitled to the benefits.

After failing to get the pension through military channels, Johanna appealed to a member of Congress to petition the president with the bill asking that her request for a pension be granted. After reviewing the matter, Cleveland declared all previous inquests into the former soldier’s unfortunate death to be satisfactory and vetoed the bill.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/cleveland-denies-widow-her-husbands-military-pension

In this example, DeSantis is Cleveland.  And Trump supporters are the ones asking Congress to break the rules and use taxpayer money to pay out a benefit to someone outside of the law.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-