State Chapters > State Politics/Government

Alabama Plans to Carry out First Nitrogen Gas Execution. How Will it Work and What Are the Risks?

(1/10) > >>

mountaineer:
Alabama Plans to Carry out First Nitrogen Gas Execution. How Will it Work and What Are the Risks?
Sunday, 21 January 2024 09:15 AM EST
Newsmax
--- Quote ---Alabama is preparing to use a new method of execution: nitrogen gas.

Kenneth Eugene Smith, who survived the state’s previous attempt to put him to death by lethal injection in 2022, is scheduled to be put to death Thursday by nitrogen hypoxia. If carried out, it would the first new method of execution since lethal injection was introduced in 1982.

The state maintains that nitrogen gas will cause unconsciousness quickly but critics have likened the never-used method of execution to human experimentation.

Nitrogen hypoxia execution would cause death by forcing the inmate to breathe pure nitrogen, depriving him or her of the oxygen needed to maintain bodily functions. ...
--- End quote ---

Hoodat:
I am amazed that no one thought of this sooner.  Opponents of course will lobby against it because O2 deprivation can be deadly.

mountaineer:
Alabama inmate asks federal appeals court to block first-ever execution by nitrogen gas
Story by By KIM CHANDLER, Associated Press 
Jan. 19, 2024
--- Quote ---MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An attorney for an Alabama inmate set to be the nation's first person ever put to death by nitrogen gas asked a federal appeals court Friday to block the upcoming execution using the “untested methods.”

Kenneth Smith, 58, is scheduled to be executed Thursday, when a respirator-type mask will be put on his face to replace his breathing air with pure nitrogen — depriving him of the oxygen needed to stay alive. Three states — Alabama, Oklahoma and Mississippi — have authorized nitrogen hypoxia as an execution method, but no state has previously attempted to use it.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals heard diverging descriptions of the humaneness and potential risks of the proposed method in Smith's appeal of a federal judge’s Jan. 10 decision to let the execution go forward. The three judges on the panel asked questions about the proposed method, including claims that it could cause Smith to choke to death on his own vomit, but did not indicate when they will rule. ...

Some states are looking for new ways to execute inmates because the drugs used in lethal injections, the most common execution method in the United States, are increasingly difficult to find. ...
--- End quote ---
AP via MSN

LMAO:

--- Quote from: Jack Russell on January 21, 2024, 06:54:31 pm ---Isn't this what animal services uses to dispose of unwanted cats/dogs?

--- End quote ---

I was just gonna type that and I saw your post

I guess that’s my understanding unless somebody knows different

GtHawk:
Hey throw a bone to the bleeding hearts and use Nitrous Oxide, that way the killers could laugh their way to unconsciousness and death, kind a like party to hell :smokin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version