Author Topic: 'A Failed Medical School': How Racial Preferences, Supposedly Outlawed in California, Have Persisted  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'A Failed Medical School': How Racial Preferences, Supposedly Outlawed in California, Have Persisted at UCLA
Up to half of UCLA medical students now fail basic tests of medical competence. Whistleblowers say affirmative action, illegal in California since 1996, is to blame.

Aaron Sibarium
May 23, 2024
Long considered one of the best medical schools in the world, the University of California, Los Angeles's David Geffen School of Medicine receives as many as 14,000 applications a year. Of those, it accepted just 173 students in the 2023 admissions cycle, a record-low acceptance rate of 1.3 percent. The median matriculant took difficult science courses in college, earned a 3.8 GPA, and scored in the 88th percentile on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).

Without those stellar stats, some doctors at the school say, students can struggle to keep pace with the demanding curriculum.

So when it came time for the admissions committee to consider one such student in November 2021—a black applicant with grades and test scores far below the UCLA average—some members of the committee felt that this particular candidate, based on the available evidence, was not the best fit for the top-tier medical school, according to two people present for the committee's meeting.

Their reservations were not well-received.

https://freebeacon.com/campus/a-failed-medical-school-how-racial-preferences-supposedly-outlawed-in-california-have-persisted-at-ucla/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 03:58:55 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I need to make a note to myself to never use a Dr. from UCLA. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

May 25 2024
DEI Is Destroying UCLA Medical School
Long considered among the best medical schools in the world, UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine accepted only 1.3% of applicants in 2023. Unfortunately, under dean of admissions Jennifer Lucero, the selectivity is based less on merit than on moonbattery:
    In interviews with the Free Beacon and complaints to UCLA officials, including investigators in the university’s Discrimination Prevention Office, faculty members with firsthand knowledge of the admissions process say it has prioritized diversity over merit, resulting in progressively less qualified classes that are now struggling to succeed.
Discrimination Prevention Office. The inspiration for the name must have been the Ministry of Truth and the Ministry of Love. Progressives really are using 1984 as an instruction manual.
    Race-based admissions have turned UCLA into a “failed medical school,” said one former member of the admissions staff.
Per California law and a Supreme Court ruling, it is illegal to consider race in admissions. But under liberal anarchotyranny, laws are enforced selectively. Consequently,
    Within three years of Lucero’s hiring in 2020, UCLA dropped from 6th to 18th place in U.S. News & World Report’s rankings for medical research. And in some of the cohorts she admitted, more than 50 percent of students failed standardized tests on emergency medicine, family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics.

Those tests, known as shelf exams, which are typically taken at the end of each clinical rotation, measure basic medical knowledge and play a pivotal role in residency applications. Though only 5 percent of students fail each test nationally, the rates are much higher at UCLA, having increased tenfold in some subjects since 2020, according to internal data obtained by the Free Beacon. ...
More at https://moonbattery.com/dei-is-destroying-ucla-medical-school/
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Affirmative action altruism is actually racist because it presumes that minorities are not capable of achieving.  Minorities can achieve, they just need access to the same resources that privileged persons take for granted.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.