Author Topic: Republicans Must Accept The Reality Of The Imperfect Candidate  (Read 975 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans Must Accept The Reality Of The Imperfect Candidate
« on: January 18, 2024, 04:47:47 pm »
Aaron DeCorte

Political purity contests are fantastic for social media and cable news, but not so great for conservatives who prioritize winning over perfection. On Monday, Iowa voters chose Trump, despite all his flaws. They didn’t just hand him a razor-thin victory, it was more like a historic tsunami.

Why did they do that? DeSantis is more normal, Haley can bring the much-coveted college-educated suburban women that CNN is infatuated with, yet they broke hard for Trump. Are they blind to Trump’s flaws? His legal situation? Nope. It’s that they have decided perfection isn’t the goal.

I have been wearing the GOP hat since I could vote. Don’t get me wrong, I have donned the jersey of my favorite primary candidate every four years, but I have never taken off my hat. My voting record reflects that philosophy: Bush, Dole, Bush x 2, McCain, Romney, Trump x 2. I am not the first person to say this, but for me, electoral politics is purely transactional. I don’t need a friend, parent, pastor, therapist, role model, hero, or savior when voting for a politician. My vote is cast for who is aligned closest to my views at every stage, first in the primary and then in the general.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2024/01/18/like-trump-or-not-republicans-must-accept-the-reality-of-the-imperfect-candidate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Republicans Must Accept The Reality Of The Imperfect Candidate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:53:14 pm »
Republicans feel they may need to, but I don't think conservatives feel the need to.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 04:55:15 pm »
Annnnnd out comes the purity bullshit once again. This shtick is tired.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 05:04:52 pm »
I had a friend back in college who described this scenario to a "T"

When the overall landscape was pretty bad, he'd quip.....

"It's not that things are bad, it's just some things are less shitty"

I thought we had a pretty decent candidate with RDS, but when you add the Trump dupe factor, we didn't have a prayer.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 05:12:51 pm »
I had a friend back in college who described this scenario to a "T"

When the overall landscape was pretty bad, he'd quip.....

"It's not that things are bad, it's just some things are less shitty"

I thought we had a pretty decent candidate with RDS, but when you add the Trump dupe factor, we didn't have a prayer.

If you consider that things were likely less shitty under Trump than Clinton, the end result is still the same under Biden.  It's the end result that matters.  Very few of Trump's policies actually took hold...it delayed things a bit and we had an upswing, but the downswing from Biden as a result has been disastrous.

People need to realize that until we can get a conservative in the WH whose policies actually take hold, things aren't going to change nor will they change fiscally. We've gone from a very slow uphill battle to a very fast downward spiral.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 06:07:31 pm »
I can accept an imperfect candidate.  I won't trust a flip-flopper.

The cynical GOP candidate strategy has been to run to the right in the Primary, and run in the middle in the General Election.  Bush '43 deceived conservatives.  McCain's and Romney's campaigns insulted the intelligence of the conservatives with flip-flopping.

I want clarity on issues.  I realize that compromise is a necessary evil to accomplish things in a divided Government.  But, compromise means that conservatives get something in return.  Recently, GOP "compromise" has consisted of trying nothing and immediately yielding to Dems and Senate Repubs.

To get Americans' money to defend Ukraine's, Israel's, and Taiwan's borders, it's only natural to expect the American Government to defend America's borders first.

America First, America Foremost
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 06:08:30 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 07:56:10 pm »
Merde! Not this again!

Republicans can't even agree on what is a Conservative, much less field a candidate who really is.

Purity has been off the table since Dr. Franklin said "...if you can keep it."

Now it's time for the whole false dichotomy if you aren't voting for A, it's a vote for B crap.

Predictable bullshit is just that, predictable. Here we go again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 07:58:45 pm »
I can accept an imperfect candidate.  I won't trust a flip-flopper.

The cynical GOP candidate strategy has been to run to the right in the Primary, and run in the middle in the General Election.  Bush '43 deceived conservatives.  McCain's and Romney's campaigns insulted the intelligence of the conservatives with flip-flopping.

I want clarity on issues.  I realize that compromise is a necessary evil to accomplish things in a divided Government.  But, compromise means that conservatives get something in return.  Recently, GOP "compromise" has consisted of trying nothing and immediately yielding to Dems and Senate Repubs.

To get Americans' money to defend Ukraine's, Israel's, and Taiwan's borders, it's only natural to expect the American Government to defend America's borders first.

America First, America Foremost

Amen and Amen!!!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 08:03:07 pm »
If you consider that things were likely less shitty under Trump than Clinton, .

Actually, no
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 08:05:36 pm »
Is it too much to ask that the Republican candidate be an actual Republican?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 08:08:33 pm »

Evidently, yes
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 08:10:08 pm »

@Hoodat

Please define "actual Republican."

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 08:14:35 pm »
Annnnnd out comes the purity bullshit once again. This shtick is tired.

@roamer_1

As opposed to the purists on the Ted Cruz thread who were finished with Cruz because of his support of Trump? Is that a fair purity comparison? If not, what is?

It's funny how one can tell when a nerve has been hit. Folks start making up silly nicknames and adding a "y" to the end of the villain's name. In my mind's eye, I see a keyboard warrior gnashing their teeth as they type their response.  wink777

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 08:29:21 pm »
@roamer_1

As opposed to the purists on the Ted Cruz thread who were finished with Cruz because of his support of Trump? Is that a fair purity comparison? If not, what is?

That's not fair. Cruz has been losing his shine for a long time - especially with every time his 'yea' helped to pass those porkulous bills. He's gone from what, a 96% ACU rating to an 85. That's not even Conservative anymore.

It's funny how one can tell when a nerve has been hit. Folks start making up silly nicknames and adding a "y" to the end of the villain's name. In my mind's eye, I see a keyboard warrior gnashing their teeth as they type their response.  wink777

Asked and answered, and Tumpy it will forever be.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 08:43:52 pm »
@roamer_1

I have to be honest with you, bro. When I encounter purists, I have to wonder how they're ever able to cast a vote. I've had to hold my nose and vote for so many candidates over the years. The only one I can remember being 100% for was the great Ronald Reagan. I can almost always find a wart, a pimple or a staph infection in any candidate under the umbrella of the Republican Party. And yet, I vote Republican once my choices have been narrowed down by fellow Americans. There have been a couple of times when I've left a choice blank or I've written in someone, but I've managed to vote for less-than-perfect candidates for decades and do my griping after the fact.

That's not fair. Cruz has been losing his shine for a long time - especially with every time his 'yea' helped to pass those porkulous bills. He's gone from what, a 96% ACU rating to an 85. That's not even Conservative anymore.

Asked and answered, and Tumpy it will forever be.

Actually, it was "Teddy" is was looking for. "Teddy" was the right answer. Check with mystery-ak for your parting gifts.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:46:42 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 08:53:38 pm »
@roamer_1

I won't vote for more destruction. Trump is big government, only with a different flavor. The flavor isn't the root problem. I'm not voting for how much gas we pour on our house fire. The only thing that helps is stop putting gas on the fire. Trump's overall response to COVID really couldn't have been much worse. What could of a Democrat president done to make it worse than it was? I won't reward that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:55:48 pm by DB »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 08:59:07 pm »
There never has been and never will be anything other than imperfect candidates for anything!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 09:02:17 pm »
@roamer_1

I have to be honest with you, bro. When I encounter purists, I have to wonder how they're ever able to cast a vote. I've had to hold my nose and vote for so many candidates over the years. The only one I can remember being 100% for was the great Ronald Reagan. I can almost always find a wart, a pimple or a staph infection in any candidate under the umbrella of the Republican Party. And yet, I vote Republican once my choices have been narrowed down by fellow Americans. There have been a couple of times when I've left a choice blank or I've written in someone, but I've managed to vote for less-than-perfect candidates for decades and do my griping after the fact.

The funny part is that I am not a purist. Sure upholding Conservative principles is prerequisite - Bu that's only the things we agreed upon all the way back to Reagan... Those things are what we are here for - If we're not voting for that, well then, what's the point?

But providing for the Conservative principles, there is PLENTY of room for compromise and for difference.

It's when you are getting NONE of it, and for YEARS... Decades... And expect me to vote for the big Rhinestone 'R' anyway... forever.

No.

It's their job to attract voters. They sure as hell ain't attracting me. They REPULSE me. And that's the endpoint. I ain't in this gig for voting for voting's sake. The endpoint is a satisfaction with that vote that is utterly absent.

I won't do it anymore.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2024, 09:18:09 pm »

Well if the candidate was perfect he'd be sitting at the right hand of the the Big Guy. There's imperfect and then there is imperfect, we had/have a imperfect candidate in Ron DeSantis, but Trump and his orange mafia committed the same character assassination on him that they did on Cruz. I have no problem with an imperfect candidate, I do have trouble with a churlish(that ones for you Pete) candidate who spends more time attacking actual conservatives because they will not genuflect at the altar of orange than they do democrats, and who after nine years? still can't be bothered to educate himself on what can be done constitutionally or how our government works. But that's my position, the great thing about America is we don't have to walk/think in lockstep...even if some demand it.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 09:20:04 pm »
LOL   He's all yours, republicans!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY, WITHOUT WHICH IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM/HER TO PROPERLY FUNCTION. ANY MISTAKE, EVEN IF WELL INTENDED, WOULD BE MET WITH ALMOST CERTAIN INDICTMENT BY THE OPPOSING PARTY AT TERM END. EVEN EVENTS THAT “CROSS THE LINE” MUST FALL UNDER TOTAL IMMUNITY, OR IT WILL BE YEARS OF TRAUMA TRYING TO DETERMINE GOOD FROM BAD. THERE MUST BE CERTAINTY. EXAMPLE: YOU CAN’T STOP POLICE FROM DOING THE JOB OF STRONG & EFFECTIVE CRIME PREVENTION BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GUARD AGAINST THE OCCASIONAL “ROGUE COP” OR “BAD APPLE.” SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH “GREAT BUT SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT.” ALL PRESIDENTS MUST HAVE COMPLETE & TOTAL PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY, OR THE AUTHORITY & DECISIVENESS OF A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WILL BE STRIPPED & GONE FOREVER. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE AN EASY DECISION. GOD BLESS THE SUPREME COURT!
ReTruths

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 10:54:56 pm »
@Hoodat

Please define "actual Republican."

I realize it is an archaic term, but in the archaic sense, it is someone who believes in limiting the size of government and implement policies where the ratio of National Debt/GDP actually falls.  It is someone who views government as the problem rather than the solution.  In other words, it certainly isn't Donald Trump.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 10:59:59 pm »
There never has been and never will be anything other than imperfect candidates for anything!

:beer: :seeya:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 11:02:11 pm »
LOL   He's all yours, republicans!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY, WITHOUT WHICH IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM/HER TO PROPERLY FUNCTION. ANY MISTAKE, EVEN IF WELL INTENDED, WOULD BE MET WITH ALMOST CERTAIN INDICTMENT BY THE OPPOSING PARTY AT TERM END. EVEN EVENTS THAT “CROSS THE LINE” MUST FALL UNDER TOTAL IMMUNITY, OR IT WILL BE YEARS OF TRAUMA TRYING TO DETERMINE GOOD FROM BAD. THERE MUST BE CERTAINTY. EXAMPLE: YOU CAN’T STOP POLICE FROM DOING THE JOB OF STRONG & EFFECTIVE CRIME PREVENTION BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GUARD AGAINST THE OCCASIONAL “ROGUE COP” OR “BAD APPLE.” SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH “GREAT BUT SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT.” ALL PRESIDENTS MUST HAVE COMPLETE & TOTAL PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY, OR THE AUTHORITY & DECISIVENESS OF A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WILL BE STRIPPED & GONE FOREVER. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE AN EASY DECISION. GOD BLESS THE SUPREME COURT!
ReTruths

Donald Trump takes a totally winnable legal case and completely trashes it with arrogance.  No jury is going to buy that crap.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 11:58:57 pm »
We the People did not provide the Absolute Right of Kings to the Office of the Presidency in the US Constitution.

An officer of the 2nd Branch of GovernmentSummoning a  mob, and directing that mob, to violently attack the 1st Branch of Government to circumvent the legal outcome of the States' elections is outside the official respoonsibilities of the Office of the Presidency.

Trump's seditious consiracy is outlined in the PowerPoint presented in the White House on January 5th, 2021:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/1212powerpoint/

In a more perfect world, Trump, and his goons, would have been indicted, tried, and sentenced under Federal RICO laws for their corrupt criminal enterprise to illegally prevent the legally prescribed January 6th execution of Congress's Constitutional duty to read the states' certified electoral vote counts in a joint session of Congress.

The Founders prescribed specific dates and times in the US Constitutuional for the assembly of the Electors, the casting of Electors' votes, and the Congressional tally of Electors' votes to prevent a wannabe tyrant from using delay to prevent the timely, legal, peaceful transfer of power to a newly elected President.

The Founders were the greatest collection of minds during the Age of Reason.  The US Constitution is the anti-thesis of tryanical European governments of their day.  The Founders saw Trump coming from 230 years away.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:59:44 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 12:02:50 am »
I realize it is an archaic term, but in the archaic sense, it is someone who believes in limiting the size of government and implement policies where the ratio of National Debt/GDP actually falls.  It is someone who views government as the problem rather than the solution.  In other words, it certainly isn't Donald Trump.
Problem is, the 'original' Republican had no problem with unbridled power, suspending the Constitution and Habeas Corpus, rounding up people and jailing them on suspicion, states militarily invading another, provided those States had voted for him, etc. He also went for an income tax and fiat money (greenbacks), even declaring war on part of the population he disagreed with, invading and trashing their homeland.

Hard act to follow, that.

But, irony of ironies, in the pursuit of conservatism, I have washed up on the shores of the Republican Party, because the Democrat Party has become the home of the patently insane, declaring that those who are generations removed from slavery are entitled to compensation for that institution's existence, claiming that the only way to make things "right" for the 1/4 of the population that is not "only white", is loot the majority for having worked hard and achieved, to the alleged benefit of that fraction that (for whatever reason) has not and to dumb down and oppress that 3/4. Other insanities apply, like ignoring the Constitution and the law, and even the Courts' specific rulings to do as they please.  One of the Charges Against the King in the Declaration of Independence comes to mind:
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our
people, and eat out their substance.

But, today, I am a man without a Major Party I feel the ability to wholeheartedly embrace.

As the GOP abandons the Conservatism that peaked with Barry Goldwater, (I wasn't old enough to vote, but I still have my 'Goldwater dollar') and even slides away from the reasonable policies of Ronald Reagan, I am seeing two flavors of nuts, opposite ends pf the same spectrum, almost equally Hell-bent on spending what savings I have into inflation diminished oblivion, seemingly trying to outdo each other in the number of sigmas from the mean they can achieve in the bipolarization of the American psyche.

No wonder America isn't mentioned in End Times Prophecy. It will be sucked into the vortex of its own decay at this rate, to the bitter disappointment of millions of us.

As far as this election goes, the best man will not win. He wasn't on the ticket, and if he had been, he would have been driven away long ago. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis