Author Topic: Freezing temperatures complicate Chicago’s struggles to house asylum-seekers  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Freezing temperatures complicate Chicago’s struggles to house asylum-seekers
Story by By SOPHIA TAREEN and MELISSA PEREZ WINDER, Associated Press  •
13h

CHICAGO (AP) — As temperatures hover below freezing in Chicago, dozens of asylum-seekers are staying in the lower level of a library until the bitter cold gripping much of the country lifts.

But after that, Chicago’s plans for offering immediate shelter to the growing number of migrants arriving in the nation’s third-largest city remain murky.

For more than a year, Chicago has wrestled with how to house new arrivals until shelter space is free, utilizing measures that city leaders insist are a stopgap. Last week, it was parked city buses. Before that it was police station lobbies and airports. The makeshift approach has frazzled volunteers, nonprofit groups and migrants wary of the lack of a long-term plan, particularly during the city's long winters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/freezing-temperatures-complicate-chicago-s-struggles-to-house-asylum-seekers/ar-AA1n8QOy?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=605048e32a10417fa0b959ff7bb013c0&ei=75
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson