Author Topic: US Navy Could Add "Hypervelocity Projectile" to Deck-Mounted 5-inch Guns  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Navy Could Add "Hypervelocity Projectile" to Deck-Mounted 5-inch Guns
BAE Systems has been working with the Navy the mature Mk45 technology
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATION12 HOURS AGO
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

As Houthi-drone and small boat attacks intensify in the Red Sea, US Navy attention has been further directed toward its series of ongoing upgrades to layered ship defenses, a long-standing campaign to better arm surface ships against a new generation of potential enemy threats.

A critical part of this has involved multi-year efforts to increase the range, precision and lethality of the US Navy’s famous 5-inch guns. Since the WWII era, these Mk45 deck-mounted guns have delivered suppressive fire, attack land targets, fortified amphibious assaults with supportive fires and fired on enemy ships. In more recent years, the changing threat equation has inspired the Navy to pursue a number of efforts to improve range, precision and lethality for the Mk 45.

BAE Systems has been working with the Navy the mature Mk45 technology, some of which goes back to previous service efforts on a "rail gun," however the firm has ventured beyond these previous efforts to migrate the HVP from its previous applications to deck-mounted Navy Mk45 5-inch guns. The early days of the HVP started back in 2013 in collaboration between BAE Systems and the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren for the Railgun Program.

https://warriormaven.com/sea/us-navy-could-add-hypervelocity-projectile-to-deck-mounted-5-inch-guns
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US Navy Could Add "Hypervelocity Projectile" to Deck-Mounted 5-inch Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 02:46:56 pm »
They still have those old relics, huh?  We had them on my ship in the 70s and the only thing the gunners mates were sure to hit was the ocean. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: US Navy Could Add "Hypervelocity Projectile" to Deck-Mounted 5-inch Guns
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 02:49:21 pm »
Bad for the barrels, which would have to be replaced after only a few shots, due to the heat and wear.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus