Author Topic: Soldiers build nuke-detecting backpack  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Soldiers build nuke-detecting backpack
« on: January 14, 2024, 03:14:05 pm »
Soldiers build nuke-detecting backpack
By Todd South
 Thursday, Jan 11

A group of soldiers built a backpack that eliminates what is typically an eight-hour wait time when transporting a mobile nuclear detector and provides onboard power and ways to analyze samples when communications go down.

The soldiers serve with the Army’s Nuclear Disablement Teams. Dubbed NDT 1 “Manhattan,” NDT 2 “Iron Maiden” and NDT 3 “Vandals,” they are based out of Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland under the 20th Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, Explosives (CBRNE) Command, according to an Army news release.

The NDTs are the Defense Department’s only nuclear disablement teams and conduct weapon of mass destruction elimination operations.

The teams’ mobile nuclear detector must draw outside air for its internal cooling system and expel hot air to maintain the right operating temperatures.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2024/01/11/soldiers-build-nuke-detecting-backpack/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Soldiers build nuke-detecting backpack
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 03:15:50 pm »
I'm just guessing, but I have to believe it is unusually effective after a place has been nuked. :beer:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson