Author Topic: Pentagon’s first industrial strategy calls for ‘generational’ change  (Read 170 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon’s first industrial strategy calls for ‘generational’ change
By Noah Robertson
 Thursday, Jan 11

WASHINGTON — America’s defense industry needs “generational” change to keep pace with competitors like Russia and China.

This is the Pentagon’s assessment in its first-ever National Defense Industrial Strategy, arriving at a moment of extreme demand. The U.S. is supporting partners threatened abroad — including Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan — forcing careful management of American aid and readiness.

“This strategy is about balancing the tension points,” said Halimah Najieb-Locke, the Pentagon’s acting deputy for industrial base policy, in a briefing with reporters.

The document is a self-described “call to action,” with almost 50 pages of recommendations to build a “fully capable 21st century” defense sector. It features the Pentagon’s most up to date thinking on the health of its suppliers, stretched thin after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the disruptive COVID-19 pandemic. America still builds the best weapons in the world, the strategy says, but that alone isn’t enough in a more competitive world.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2024/01/11/pentagons-first-industrial-strategy-calls-for-generational-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Many years ago, I was listening to a late-night radio broadcast featuring the guy who came up with the idea to put large storefront windows at 7-11 stores.  The guy was a lifetime petty crook who had many excursions to the big house.  When asked why laws against crime don't work, his answer was telling.  He said because the laws aren't written by criminals.  I think the same would be true with the pentagon getting into rule writing for businesses, the best that could happen would be to make the situation worse. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson