Author Topic: WSJ: Biden’s Dirty Border Dealings with Mexico’s President  (Read 167 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WSJ: Biden’s Dirty Border Dealings with Mexico’s President
« on: January 13, 2024, 01:44:46 pm »
WSJ: Biden’s Dirty Border Dealings with Mexico’s President
‘Is AMLO Blackmailing Biden?’, and why you may be paying Mexico to secure its southern border

By Andrew R. Arthur on January 9, 2024

I recently discussed negotiations between U.S. officials and Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (known as “AMLO”) in Mexico City, concluding the U.S. got “rolled” in those talks. According to the Wall Street Journal, that rolling continued after the pair returned to Washington, with the Biden administration meekly acceding to a Mexican government demand it pare down its “root causes” claims for the disaster at the Southwest border by ignoring tyranny abroad. Given that tyranny drives much of the poverty, corruption, and violence migrants claim as reasons for coming here illegally, Biden’s bending to Mexico City’s will is shortsighted at best and destructive at worst. That you may be paying AMLO to protect his own southern border is just bitter icing on the distasteful cake.

The December 27 Meeting. The White House sent Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to Mexico City on December 27 to meet with AMLO, hoping to obtain his assistance in slowing the wave of migrants crossing through his country on their way to ours.

As I explained in an op-ed in the New York Post the next day: “The resulting ‘Joint Communique’ from that parley reveals Mexico City has no interest in assisting an administration that won’t secure US borders.”

That was because that diplomatic press release stressed issues solely in the interests of the Mexican government (like amnesty for “long-term undocumented Hispanic migrants and DACA recipients”, which would boost remittances flowing south) but was light on any practical assistance Mexico City promised to offer to slow the migrant flow though that country to our Southwest border.

https://cis.org/Arthur/WSJ-Bidens-Dirty-Border-Dealings-Mexicos-President
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson