Author Topic: 'Self-checkout is doomed’: Major supermarkets to scrap technology in huge overhaul  (Read 5842 times)

Online roamer_1

But in truth, I would rather talk to the nice people at the registers. I enjoy talking to them, they know my name, and I always get a teenager who bags for me and even offers to put the groceries in my car (for a tip of course but its still nice)

THIS  pointing-up

I have never considered denying that service, if not nearing friendship, and find it a bit of an insult that a business would provide otherwise. As a matter of fact, I still patronize a full-service gas station for the very same reason. The very fabric of society hinges upon such things, I do believe.

Offline LadyLiberty

I don't need no stinkin menu. But I DO need a sassy-ass waitress who speaks redneck and knows what's good to eat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-FX_7SFSsM

Online libertybele

It works if you go in and buy one or two items and have cash. The other day I bought milk and a box of cold cereal. Gave the machine a ten dollar bill and got change. 

But in truth, I would rather talk to the nice people at the registers. I enjoy talking to them, they know my name, and I always get a teenager who bags for me and even offers to put the groceries in my car (for a tip of course but its still nice)

Same here. Some know me by name; but wherever I go to get groceries, I prefer someone to bag the groceries. If it's only a couple of items, I do the self check out which is quick and easy. I seldom need help to the car, but the offer is nice.  The Publix that I go to for groceries always offers to help with putting them into the car, but they post that they do not accept tips.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

Having worked MickeyD's from before the BS made to order process and after I can tell you that as far as I'm concerned their quality and taste went in the toilet the day we stopped cooking, assembling and staging food in the large warming bin for the cashiers to pick up. There was just something about the burgers/sandwiches 'marinating for a few minutes that improved the flavor. I know almost, if not anyone will agree with me but I had a lot of years eating that food :silly: :silly: The simple fact is that pre cooking everything and then storing it as individual ingredients in steam cabinets until it is 'made to order'/assembled for you results in look warm crappy tasting food. Unfortunately MickyD's is not alone in this, Carl's, Jack and others use the same crappy model. You should always demand freshly cooked food and order your frys with no salt and they have to be fresh too.

I appreciate that explanation.

I used to love Micky'Ds. Back in November, as a treat, I decided to go. After I got over the price (That will be $9.96, please drive thru to the second window) I was sorely disappointed with the flavor.

Truthfully, that could be because I'm used to cooking at home. Micky'ds is not the only place I find this to be the case. But I can't for the life of me understand how families eat out anymore.

When I was growing up, back in the old days :laugh: going out to eat was a huge treat. I have to believe at some point that will once again be the norm. If it was close to $10 just for me....what would it have been for a family?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
THIS  pointing-up

I have never considered denying that service, if not nearing friendship, and find it a bit of an insult that a business would provide otherwise. As a matter of fact, I still patronize a full-service gas station for the very same reason. The very fabric of society hinges upon such things, I do believe.

@roamer_1

You and I are in total agreement on this issue.

Living ain't "ALL about me,me,ME,DAMMIT!"

Like it or not,but we share the planet with others,and there really is no excuse for being rude or aggressive to strangers or anyone else who has not even tried to harm you in any way.

Costs NOTHING to  be civil,and in most cases it makes the world more pleasant for all of us.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

Same here. Some know me by name; but wherever I go to get groceries, I prefer someone to bag the groceries. If it's only a couple of items, I do the self check out which is quick and easy. I seldom need help to the car, but the offer is nice.  The Publix that I go to for groceries always offers to help with putting them into the car, but they post that they do not accept tips.

Now see... I think it important to accept help packing to your car... gives youngins a chance to hone their social skills and responsibilities.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

I appreciate that explanation.

I used to love Micky'Ds. Back in November, as a treat, I decided to go. After I got over the price (That will be $9.96, please drive thru to the second window) I was sorely disappointed with the flavor.

Truthfully, that could be because I'm used to cooking at home. Micky'ds is not the only place I find this to be the case. But I can't for the life of me understand how families eat out anymore.

When I was growing up, back in the old days :laugh: going out to eat was a huge treat. I have to believe at some point that will once again be the norm. If it was close to $10 just for me....what would it have been for a family?
About the only thing left on their menu that actually still tastes the way it used to are McRibs when they have them and Filet-O-Fish, but again the price is just nuts. On rare(and I mean rare ) occasions we will get something quick, well I ordered two filet and a large fry, the fry was for the two of us and the dog, and it was almost 18 freakin dollars! Nope, no mas, made a rare In-N-Out but otherwise there is nothing that i can't make better and cheaper at home.

Online roamer_1

About the only thing left on their menu that actually still tastes the way it used to are McRibs when they have them and Filet-O-Fish, but again the price is just nuts. On rare(and I mean rare ) occasions we will get something quick, well I ordered two filet and a large fry, the fry was for the two of us and the dog, and it was almost 18 freakin dollars! Nope, no mas, made a rare In-N-Out but otherwise there is nothing that i can't make better and cheaper at home.

And the shrinkage... The Big Mac of my twenties could hardly be held in one hand.. now it's hardly more than four decent bites.

For years now it's been a big mac super-sized meal and two hamburgers to make a decent lunch.
And they keep getting smaller... I am just shy of needing another hamburger.

Then I discovered Deluxe- one of a very few improvements in McDonald's log...

A Double Quarter Cheese Deluxe large meal... Now that'll do.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 01:58:40 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

And they're still one of the best for fast-food sweet tea... Only Chik-Fil-A does better.

Online mountaineer

Gen Z loves self-checkout because it makes shoplifting easy—and retailers are flailing as they scramble to undo it
Sasha Rogelberg
Tue, January 23, 2024 at 4:04 PM EST
Gen Z’s habit of swiping extends past their phones. The young generation of shoppers also admit to swiping from retail stores, a habit that’s only become easier with the advent of self-checkout kiosks.

Young shoppers have a stronger affinity for self-checkout than older generations, a survey this week from Avery Dennison found. More than half of Gen Z and millennial respondents said that a self-checkout option would be a reason for them to switch retailers, compared 41%  of Gen X and 30% of Baby Boomer shoppers.

While Gen Z customers said that self checkout is faster, and they enjoy not having to wait in line or interact with others, there’s another reason why they may love self-service shopping: It’s easy to steal.

Almost one-third (31%) of Gen Z shoppers have admitted to shoplifting from self-checkout aisles compared to 15% of shoppers overall, according to a November LendingTree survey of 2,000 U.S. consumers. Almost half of Gen Z participants (46%) said they plan to lift the most expensive item in their cart, while 37% said they will loot the basics, such as food and water. ...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gen-z-loves-self-checkout-210436520.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

It's the strangest thing: not once, in the many times I used a self-checkout, did it occur to me to steal stuff. Maybe it was the way I was raised.  Go figure.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I don't remember ever using self-check in my life  :shrug:

I vastly prefer. The less human interaction the better.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Gen Z loves self-checkout because it makes shoplifting easy—and retailers are flailing as they scramble to undo it
Sasha Rogelberg
Tue, January 23, 2024 at 4:04 PM ESThttps://finance.yahoo.com/news/gen-z-loves-self-checkout-210436520.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

It's the strangest thing: not once, in the many times I used a self-checkout, did it occur to me to steal stuff. Maybe it was the way I was raised.  Go figure.
FTA:

Almost one-third (31%) of Gen Z shoppers have admitted to shoplifting from self-checkout aisles

This proves a third of one of my theories of life:

One-third of all people are honest and trustworthy when your back is turned.
One-third of all people would steal every chance they get, and lie through their teeth if caught.
The last third of all people will steal if they know they can get away with it. 

Our self-checkout grocery boosters fall in that last group.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

Sasha Rogelberg
Tue, January 23, 2024 at 4:04 PM ESThttps://finance.yahoo.com/news/gen-z-loves-self-checkout-210436520.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

This is why self governance is failing. Integrity/self control are disappearing.

Online roamer_1

I vastly prefer. The less human interaction the better.

I LOVE interaction with cashiers, waitresses, and the like... In an almost anthropological way... It tickles me to trip across the stereotypes, which I very often do.

It's weird, I know... And while I am still vastly introverted, at least in my real thought, there is a gregarious outer shell... And in some way, these meaningless incidental meetings do have meaning - a chance to stretch my old-timey charm and staid belief in genteel roles... A chance to enforce and improve human interaction.... Which is necessary at the root. As necessary as porch-sitting and sweet tea.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And calls you Sugar, Honey, Hun, Darlin, etc., and I do mean waitress, not some Tiny Tim ugly dude that calls himself Donella!
YES!!! 888high58888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis