Author Topic: 'Self-checkout is doomed’: Major supermarkets to scrap technology in huge overhaul  (Read 5828 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I meant in my local area ... sorry!

Sounds like it's a lot of local areas.

Side story:  I went to Taco Bell today where I found I had to input my order via large touch-screen pads.  Took me way long to figure out where every was, took me a lot of minutes to do.  Then they "forgot" my order.

9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Side story:  I went to Taco Bell today where I found I had to input my order via large touch-screen pads.  Took me way long to figure out where every was, took me a lot of minutes to do.  Then they "forgot" my order.

9999hair out0000
Side note and off topic.  I went to a new restaurant the other week. When the hostess seated us she said our waiter would be with us shortly and handed us a piece of paper with a QR code on it.  Waiter came over and asked us for our order.  I said I wanted to see a menu.  The Zoomer said I needed to scan the code.  I said no, I want to see a menu. The little pr(i)ck told me to download an app to see the menu.  We left.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:35:07 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Side note and off topic.  I went to a new restaurant the other week. When the hostess seated us she said our waiter would be with us shortly and handed us a piece of paper with a QR code on it.  Waiter came over and asked us for our order.  I said I wanted to see a menu.  The Zoomer said I needed to scan the code.  I said no, I want to see a menu. The little pr(i)ck told me to download an app to see the menu.  We left.

??? WTH??? I would have left too.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I would have, too. Last thing I need is a bunch of aps on my phone to clutter it up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
??? WTH??? I would have left too.

Never piss off a Boomer who doesn't GAF.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't have a phone. My wife does. It is all we need.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

I would have, too. Last thing I need is a bunch of aps on my phone to clutter it up.

I don't need no stinkin menu. But I DO need a sassy-ass waitress who speaks redneck and knows what's good to eat.

Offline roamer_1

and they sure as hell better have sweet tea.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

9999hair out0000

@Cyber Liberty

I simply walk up the counter and look somebody in the eye...somebody will manually take your order.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

{Nodding my head}
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I simply walk up the counter and look somebody in the eye...somebody will manually take your order.

Today I saw people waiting for 10 minutes before anybody would come to the counter, trying to do just that.  Fail.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I don't need no stinkin menu. But I DO need a sassy-ass waitress who speaks redneck and knows what's good to eat.
And calls you Sugar, Honey, Hun, Darlin, etc., and I do mean waitress, not some Tiny Tim ugly dude that calls himself Donella!

Offline GtHawk

Today I saw people waiting for 10 minutes before anybody would come to the counter, trying to do just that.  Fail.
That's all part of the customer training now going on at fastfood outlets that have put in the lobby order kiosks and cut employees, they don't want to staff counter registers and they insure that by forcing you to use the kiosk or not be served. If I walk into someplace and they don't at least acknowledge me in less than two minutes they don't get my business, especially at todays obscene prices. After twenty five years of making sure people got the best service possible I guarantee that I will absolutely morph into the customer from hell if I am treated badly.

Offline libertybele

That's all part of the customer training now going on at fastfood outlets that have put in the lobby order kiosks and cut employees, they don't want to staff counter registers and they insure that by forcing you to use the kiosk or not be served. If I walk into someplace and they don't at least acknowledge me in less than two minutes they don't get my business, especially at todays obscene prices. After twenty five years of making sure people got the best service possible I guarantee that I will absolutely morph into the customer from hell if I am treated badly.

I agree.  Prices are obscene. We walked into a local Mom & Pop restaurant today for a burger, fries and milkshake. We were absolutely stunned at the prices ... We left a 20% tip and walked out paying a little over $50.00.

So....I guess we'll continue to stay home and order a submarine sandwich to go every now and then and only eat out on special occasions.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

And calls you Sugar, Honey, Hun, Darlin, etc., and I do mean waitress, not some Tiny Tim ugly dude that calls himself Donella!

I have a story to tell...

I was back east for something or another, and I'd had my fill. Left in the dark, haulin ass for the mountains. Went the low route, heading for Denver, where you make a hard right to head north...

Anyhow, somewhere in Podunk KS, some little whistle stop along the interstate, I pulled off to fuel up, and went looking for a diner... A guy at the truck stop told me where it was, so I come boiling up in my lifted pickup and swing on in.

There's this little cutie of a waitress, *exactly* what you think of, and she greets me... she's about to sit me down, and I ask if she has a big jug of sweet tea... whereupon she rolls her eyes like they do, and said of course they do, to which I replied, "Good! I'm back among my people!"

Quick as that, she comes up against me, knocks my Bailey back on it's strings, gives me this big ol squirmy hug and whispers "Honey hush... we've missed you so much!"

She got a great tip.  happy77
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 01:59:31 am by roamer_1 »

Offline mountaineer

When we're at a restaurant where the customer is expected to scan a QR code to see the menu, we tell them we don't have a smart phone, and would like a paper menu. Technically,  I do have a cheap TracFone smart phone, but it's turned off 99.9% of the time, and I have never scanned anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

In the Austin area there are no menus, it's that stupid QR code to access it.

I stopped at a McDonalds on my way to Austin and inside I stood in front of one of those touch screen minutes for 10 minutes trying to figure it out and it still didn't take my order.  I hadn't been to McDonalds in years and that was the worst hamburger I've ever had.
Having worked MickeyD's from before the BS made to order process and after I can tell you that as far as I'm concerned their quality and taste went in the toilet the day we stopped cooking, assembling and staging food in the large warming bin for the cashiers to pick up. There was just something about the burgers/sandwiches 'marinating for a few minutes that improved the flavor. I know almost, if not anyone will agree with me but I had a lot of years eating that food :silly: :silly: The simple fact is that pre cooking everything and then storing it as individual ingredients in steam cabinets until it is 'made to order'/assembled for you results in look warm crappy tasting food. Unfortunately MickyD's is not alone in this, Carl's, Jack and others use the same crappy model. You should always demand freshly cooked food and order your frys with no salt and they have to be fresh too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Totally agree with you @GtHawk  But only 25 years???  "Those are rookie numbers..."   :laugh:

I'm at 65 years and counting.

Entire life since age of twelve when I had a paper route...was self-employed running my own companies.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GtHawk

Totally agree with you @GtHawk  But only 25 years???  "Those are rookie numbers..."   :laugh:

I'm at 65 years and counting.

Entire life since age of twelve when I had a paper route...was self-employed running my own companies.
I didn't count the years in construction where we worked most of the time in live labs and treated everyone in them as a customer so really about forty years, still no where near your prodigious total, but then I became disabled and had no desire to be a smiling meat puppet at Walmart door :tongue2:  :beer:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I agree.  Prices are obscene. We walked into a local Mom & Pop restaurant today for a burger, fries and milkshake. We were absolutely stunned at the prices ... We left a 20% tip and walked out paying a little over $50.00.

So....I guess we'll continue to stay home and order a submarine sandwich to go every now and then and only eat out on special occasions.  :shrug:
It is getting worse by the week/month. Inflation is spiking again this month and is expected to continue until Biden and his gang of criminal anti-America idiots are forcibly fired and kicked out of government. (they should be thrown in jail, Mayorkas, Garland, Fauci, and dozens of others)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GtHawk

It is getting worse by the week/month. Inflation is spiking again this month and is expected to continue until Biden and his gang of criminal anti-America idiots are forcibly fired and kicked out of government. (they should be thrown in jail, Mayorkas, Garland, Fauci, and dozens of others)
Prison? I kind of like the idea of sentencing them to shovel shit off of SanFranshitco's streets or eliminating rats in New York or doing clean up in oh so many other American cities they helped turn to stinking hellholes and for a period not less then ten years. In the case of Brandon when he becomes incapable of shoveling more shit than oozes out of his depends, faux Dr can take over as punishment for her elder abuse which resulted in the abuse of the American way of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I don't remember ever using self-check in my life  :shrug:

It works if you go in and buy one or two items and have cash. The other day I bought milk and a box of cold cereal. Gave the machine a ten dollar bill and got change. 

But in truth, I would rather talk to the nice people at the registers. I enjoy talking to them, they know my name, and I always get a teenager who bags for me and even offers to put the groceries in my car (for a tip of course but its still nice)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
It works if you go in and buy one or two items and have cash. The other day I bought milk and a box of cold cereal. Gave the machine a ten dollar bill and got change. 

But in truth, I would rather talk to the nice people at the registers. I enjoy talking to them, they know my name, and I always get a teenager who bags for me and even offers to put the groceries in my car (for a tip of course but its still nice)

That's another reason that if I have time, I go to the manned registers.  Those mostly ladies are nice ,hard working, and need their jobs.  The so called incremental savings by using self checkouts get lost in the round-up. 

It's also how I am able to help what appears to be a needy family.  Usually once or twice during the holidays I will fake dropping a $50 bill on the floor, and tell the family they must have dropped it
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:07:59 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@catfish1957

That's really nice. It is always nice to pay it forward.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

One of the reasons I like my local H-E-B.
They have some self checkout lanes, but they also have most of their regular staffed checkout lanes with cashiers.
They also have an employee that will come and tell you which aisles are open.
It is hard to find a parking space sometimes and it is always crowded, but very easy to get out quick.